What's new

Chazzer Farewell Tour in Boso (Aug 15)

I second Naomi's comments - what a fabulous ride yesterday ! I lost count of the number of quiet twisty tree lined lanes we rode through. As I did the number of hills... Phil, you truly are Lord of The Rindo.

Charles, it's been great riding with you over the last year and a half. Looking forward to you posting some accounts of the riding back in the UK, and hope to have a chance to ride with you again in the future. In the meantime, we'll always have Sado !:bike:

Cheers
Steve

Better late than never

The belated ride report...

Come Saturday morning, there were nine of us at Honda Station: Todor, Travis, David, Naomi, Alan, Steve, Clay, myself, and, of course, Charles. Travis, David, and Clay had ridden out from the city and were waiting and ready to go well ahead of schedule. The rest of us arrived by train or car, bikes were quickly assembled, and we were ready to go by 9:30. The weather looked fantastic; perfect blue skies, warm and sunny but much less humid than we could reasonably hope for in August in Kanto.

The route down was along well-traveled back roads to Lake Takataki, past green golf courses and even greener rice fields. The pace was relaxed, and there was plenty of time to enjoy the scenery (for a change!)

At the lake we skipped the usual lakeside park and made straight for the vending machine mini-mall. It wouldn't be the first time hydration trumped scenery...

We pushed on quickly, first south on the 81, then cutting into the hills and the rindo over Daifukuyama. We split up on the modest climb, but regrouped for the descent, being extra careful of the Puddle of Death that had claimed David A weeks previously (it was still there!)

The pace began to pick up a little as we followed the steady climb up 81 toward the coast, and before we knew it we were plummeting down the twisty descent to the sea. We got stuck behind a car on this descent that refused to let us pass by accelerating on every short straight section; Clay and I eventually sneaked by, however, on a sharp hairpin about 2/3 down. Chalk one up for the cyclists.

Lunch was at a seashore combini, with a fantastic view of parking lot asphalt and accompanied by the merry sound of idling car engines running a/cs at full blast.

Refueled and refreshed(?), we headed back into the hills, up a rindo that was a TCC-first. Running between routes 81 and 178, it climbs up to and then follows a ridgeline all the way to the Yoro Gorge area, 20km of almost completely un-trafficked forest road. The climb is also the longest and hardest of all the options from the coast in the area, about 8km or so from sea to summit.

A makeshift sign just after the summit warned of a landslide ahead--it hadn't been there the previous week--and sure enough a few hundred meters later the road was almost completely blocked by fallen trees and mud. There was space enough for a bicycle, however, so on we went.

After a steep descent, we stopped at the familiar country store at 465 and 178 to refill on drinks and food. The heat was beginning to tell, and some of us were suffering from cramps. There would be a few more drink stops before we made it home...

Up the 81 we went; normally quiet, the road was full of cars, o-bon holidayers heading home from the beaches. I was glad that this time we were at last going to do the 172/171 loop, which skirts through golf courses to the south and east of Lake Takataki. A much quieter road than the 81, it also offered a few more modest climbs for those who hadn't had enough already.

Once we reached the 297, it was just a matter of tackling those last few little hills and closing the loop to Honda. We reached the station just after 5pm, 135km for those who hadn't ridden out from Tokyo.

All in all, a fantastic day out. The great company really made the ride for me; I'd done almost the same route solo a week before, but it was infinitely more enjoyable sharing it with others. The fine weather was just icing on the cake.

Many many thanks to Todor, Travis, David, Naomi, Alan, Steve, & Clay for making the journey out. As I said, you guys made the day!

Most of all, a big thanks to Charles for fitting us into his hectic moving schedule and giving us the excuse to do the ride in the first place. Charles, good luck back home, hope you enjoy the riding there, and we'll look forward to seeing you again here!

Random Ride Stat
Number of times Clay went down the rindo climb to do it again: 1

Phil,

Great right up of a superb day on the bikes. Many thanks for a really enjoyable route.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent company. And Charles, as mentioned, give the Golden Boys a shout from me if you go to a game this season. I have a feeling that they will need all the support that they can get.

See you next time and remember to avoid the "puddles of death"

Dave

Many thanks again to all ....and especially Phil...

I am now back on two wheels again in London. Nothing too ambitious so far but looking forward to more challenging outings.

Have checked my commute from outer London to the City. 28kms, doable for sure, but how about the traffic. Last Sunday, was a quiet sunlight autumn day and I made it in an hour an fifteen minutes on the Anchor, which is a tie with public transport on a normal day. More research needed with the aid of Transport for London bike maps, which are excellent and free. Have showers and secure parking at work so no excuses. Just waiting for the flat bar hybrid to turn up as the perfect weapon. Shipment expected week after next.

No way am I using the best bikes on a daily basis though. Looked into insurance and a bike worth UKP 5k, (JPY 700k) is UKP50 per month to cover. So weekends only and under lock and key inside the garage at all other times !

Cycling is ubercool here now and the streets are packed with all manner of machinery with fixies predictably in the ascendent. On every corner there is a bike shop packed with kit and stuff is flying out of the door. We are winning the battle for the roads !

In the City the riding is surprisingly compliant and I have been told that the police are now very hot on cyclists jumping reds. I am observing everyone else at this stage and trying to figure out the rules !

Anyway, thanks again to all of you who came along on the Chiba ride. I have been showing my workfriends some of our TCC routes. Some serious cyclists amongst them and all very impressed with the terrain ! Now they are looking at me with misplaced respect......

Here is a tourist shot for you. Seems scarcely believable that the last place top ride the Anchor was in Chiba, and now featuring here !

Lastly, many thanks and maximum appreciation to Phil who organised this event back in August.It was a great send off and something that I will always remember.

Hope to see some of you at some stage.....

Charles aka chazzer
showphoto.php

Hey Charles, thanks for checking in--Anchor looks great in its new home, and cycling conditions sound great there. Showers and parking at work? Very nice.

Be sure to let us know next time you head over this way.

Back
Top Bottom