Chasing kids...

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
Now that my two kids are on bikes (although the 3 year old is still on a balance bike), I need to do a lot of running to keep up with them. Not all bad, but not really a runner. We sometimes bring the bikes (and also plan to if this virus things subsides) to different places by car and let them loose. Other times, we visit various different local parks. I've been thinking that a scooter/kickboard type thing would be nice for keeping up with them for my wife and I. A foldable one would fit in the car and not be too much of a pain to park/carry when a bike is not available. I don't really need commuting quality but I am a bit tall. Probably should have good wheels and reliable so that we're not easily thrown off (more worried about my wife) and its pretty stable. Never ridden one so don't know much about them. Might use it to go to the shops as well I guess. Don't want to spend a fortune either. Any recommendations given those use cases? Was looking at reviews and saw the Razor A5 Lux but that's not really available in Japan at a decent price it seems or if it is, I can't find it.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Your post brought back a lot of happy memories- thanks mate! If I had my time again, I’d get a cheap fold-up for the car. Then you can take it with you on day trips.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Kids had a razor once, after they outgrew it I tried using from my office to the copy machine but it was too hard to carry stuff. I think it's still around somewhere.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
Thanks all. Been doing some thinking and decided that @bloaker is the dude when it comes to 2 wheels so I've just ordered a Hudora 205. Myself and my wife will try that out first and then use that experience to decide what we should buy next. Worst case, the kids can use it I guess when they get a bit bigger also.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Thanks all. Been doing some thinking and decided that @bloaker is the dude when it comes to 2 wheels so I've just ordered a Hudora 205. Myself and my wife will try that out first and then use that experience to decide what we should buy next. Worst case, the kids can use it I guess when they get a bit bigger also.
That was my thought process.
IF I never used it, it is nicer than the "LOL" scooter my daughter has.
But as it turns out, it is a fun way to get to the neighborhood candy store and liquor store.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
My Hudora big wheel 205 arrived last night. Unpacked it and tried it out this morning. It was pretty easy to ride. It has good balance. Doesn't seem to go too fast though. Maybe I need to kick harder. Went around the block on it before work. Brake works well too. Little noisy (strap vibration probably) but what could one expect. Looking forward to chasing the kids on it now and getting to know it better... Thanks for the recommendation.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
Chasing kids came true yesterday as my three and a half year old mastered his older brother’s bike first shot. Ran around the block a few times helping him stop and start. His progress was amazing. He can now stop and start by himself today also. So I ended up using the scooter quite a lot to keep up. It was so useful.