What's new

Changing groupset

fustyler

Warming-Up
Sep 18, 2021
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap used groupset and would like to find someone to help me change it out for less than 5000yen in Tokyo. Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't think that's realistic, unless you have a buddy who's doing it for a six pack of nice craft beer. (Come to think of it, a six pack of craft beer might eat up your entire budget …)

You'd need new inner and outer cables, because the old ones are most likely not the right length for your frame. If you are talking about a groupset with hydraulic brakes, you'd need new brake hoses for the same reason. Also you might need a new BB, especially if you go from one manufacturer to another. And perhaps you will need a new brake pads.

What are you changing to? Difficulty depends on the groupset, hydraulic brakes or not, and whether internal routing or not. I doubt you'll get a shop to do it for 5,000 yen. Might be a good opportunity for you to learn to do it yourself by looking at YouTube tutorials. Save money and learn skills that come in handy if solo riding and something breaks or needs adjustment.

I don't think that's realistic, unless you have a buddy who's doing it for a six pack of nice craft beer. (Come to think of it, a six pack of craft beer might eat up your entire budget …)

Oh, i`d totally do it for a six pack of nice craft beer

No hydraulic brakes. The bike is an old giant seek bought 2009, cassette, crank, derailleur, shifters, probably brake holders too. Cable routing is external. Trying to source Shimano acera Altus to replace old ones.
Ruda you willing to do it for a six pack? :)

Is that a drop bar bike or does it have flat bars? Alivio suggests flat bars, but I can't tell for sure.

But looking at the state of the bike, you will for sure need a new bottom bracket as well. I'm not even sure whether putting a new groupset is worth it, because the rest of the components (e. g. wheels) might be in a sorry state, too.

Is that a drop bar bike or does it have flat bars? Alivio suggests flat bars, but I can't tell for sure.

But looking at the state of the bike, you will for sure need a new bottom bracket as well. I'm not even sure whether putting a new groupset is worth it, because the rest of the components (e. g. wheels) might be in a sorry state, too.
It's flat bar.

my first thought was responsibly dispose of that and buy a better bike for the same money a refit would cost.
For a new bike I was thinking of giant contend 0 but out of stock until mid next year.
If I can buy replacement component for 5-6000yen and can find someone to swap the components for ~5000yen, it would still work out to be much less than an entry level bike.

Please ignore the front wheel it has been replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_105329.jpg
    IMG_20210716_105329.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 17
Like the other posters say, you should do this yourself. If it doesn't creak, keep the crank and scrub the rust off. The chainrings don't look worn and the bb is the only bit that needs special tools.

Check with Sheldon Brown, but up to nine speed, I believe you can mix and match parts from different Shimano series, both road and mtb, so long as they are the same speed. To make this bike worth upgrading, you must get the parts used and very cheap because 40,000 yen or so will get you a far better used road bike (2x9 Sora, 9.5kg, carbon fork etc.)

Like the other posters say, you should do this yourself. If it doesn't creak, keep the crank and scrub the rust off. The chainrings don't look worn and the bb is the only bit that needs special tools.

Check with Sheldon Brown, but up to nine speed, I believe you can mix and match parts from different Shimano series, both road and mtb, so long as they are the same speed. To make this bike worth upgrading, you must get the parts used and very cheap because 40,000 yen or so will get you a far better used road bike (2x9 Sora, 9.5kg, carbon fork etc.)
Thanks. I was not aware the rust can be scrubbed off. I concur that if I cannot replace all parts including labour for under 10000yen I shouldn't entertain the idea.

Back
Top Bottom