What's new

Notice Changes, changes: major upgrade & revamp

I have to log in again and accept cookies every time I use the site on mobile. I didn't use to.

I have to log in again and accept cookies every time I use the site on mobile. I didn't use to.

Did you tick the "Stay Logged In" checkbox when you were logging in? What device are you on?

ADMIN! Years ago when Owen introduced the < MEDIA > links I did something that stopped them working for my account. They still don't work. Do you know how I can fix this, or can you fix it for me?

@Half-Fast Mike , media links are set globally and not on a per-account basis, they should be working for you, too. The only issue I am aware of are Strava embeds. What type of "media links" do not work for you?

Of course

If you are on iOS you could try to clear your cache ("Web Site Data").

Settings -> Accounts & Passwords -> Safari -> Advanced -> Website Data, then just delete the cache for tokyocycle.com.

Probably something similar is available for Android devices.

@Half-Fast Mike , media links are set globally and not on a per-account basis, they should be working for you, too. The only issue I am aware of are Strava embeds. What type of "media links" do not work for you?
Thanks, Thomas. I see that you're right. It must be something I've done to my browser - Safari on Mac OS. It works OK on iOS and in Chrome, but, e.g., in this post, in Safari, I don't see the Amazon preview.

Snap002.png

Whereas in a reply, I see the preview in the quote of my post. Which is weird.

Snap003.png

I reset the browser cache , turned off AdBlock and Ghostery for tokyocycle.com. Still the same. It would be great if I could fix it, but I can live with it if not.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated! I'll look into it.

I reset the browser cache , turned off AdBlock and Ghostery for tokyocycle.com. Still the same. It would be great if I could fix it, but I can live with it if not.

Mike, here's what the developer had to say:

Usually when nothing is displayed but an empty space, it's because the third-party content has been blocked by some kind of adblocker or Firefox's privacy protection thing. However, I have slightly tweaked the Facebook embed recently so there may be a relation.

Make sure you have no extension/privacy protection enabled and try again. Perhaps try another browser, see if it works better for you. The video works fine for me on recent versions of Chrome and Firefox with privacy protection disabled. If you're still having problems, try looking into the browser's error console/developer tools.

It works for me on iOS, but not on my Windows desktop PC using Firefox or Chrome. I'll keep investigating.

Uploading attachments to a post seems to have lower limits than before. For example, I tried to attach a photo from this morning and it complained that it was too large. Actual photo was 2.9MB. I can make it smaller using an app but it takes away some of the fun of posting them.

Uploading attachments to a post seems to have lower limits than before. For example, I tried to attach a photo from this morning and it complained that it was too large. Actual photo was 2.9MB. I can make it smaller using an app but it takes away some of the fun of posting them.
I always thought that photos had to be under 1024pixels. Perhaps I'm wrong

@leicaman is right, attachments were automatically resized to 1024px. I have increased the max image dimensions to 1280px and the PHP upload limit to 4MB per file. Anyhow, 2.9MB is a bit hefty for one single photo, n'est-ce pas? As server space doesn't come unlimited, I'd very much appreciate the effort of resizing images before uploading them. ;)

I agree that it's large for a photo, particularly anything that I am capable of snapping with my silly iPhone. However, it's the age we live in I guess. These things will keep getting bigger. Would be slick if the server side could accept any (reasonable) size and then dynamically change the quality to fit into an acceptable (to the admin) max size for storage and display. This doesn't really solve the incoming bandwidth issue but images are served more than uploaded, so perhaps that would work. Not sure if that is possible or desirable. Looks like this site is php which has good image processing libs though. Very much appreciate the gift that this forum is though. Stellar job!

Back
Top Bottom