What's new

Tech Chain Catcher

Chris Williams

Maximum Pace
Dec 21, 2013
Just reading an article on Cycling weekly and noticed a chain catcher on the bike - does any one use one? I suppose it is to stop the chain from falling off on a down shift....

Yes, both of my team bikes have the Deda Dogtooth chain catcher. In a perfect world you or your mechanic would have done a perfect job of setting the derailleurs up so that for any casual rider a dropped chain would never be an issue. However when racing sods law dictates that it will happen at the worst time.

I have k-edges mounted on my and Naomi's bikes. I really don't want to chew up the carbon in such a high stress area, if the chain were to fall down there. Never had a chain drop since fitting them.
Cheap, light insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the SRAM integrated catchers. Yeah, Dogtooth if you have round seattube and all the others are cheap insurance. Though, good riders will 'catch' their own chain within a pedal stroke - afterall -- it's still in the derailer cage. So, unless you are doing CX I see these as about the same as a rear wheel 'pie plate'.

Have on on my 1X9 cx for bumpy chatter, on a road bike= "Fred". Then again my bikes aren't plastic.

on a road bike= "Fred".

Marcel Kittel = Fred

NIK6676.jpg

Alberto Contador = Fred

81.jpg

Chris Froome = Fred

320-659x440.jpg

Mark Cavendish = Fred

cavbike_Front_Mech1.jpg

It seems the whole Pro Tour Peloton is full of FRED'S!

or they are unaware of the dangers.
I am sorry to say the later - I've had the Anchor since 2001 and never had a chain come off - frame looks like new- but saying that not been looking at magazines etc for some time so not aware of these things - Ordering one ASAP just to make sure

Funny thing, I don't remember anyone spec'ing their chain catcher in the "detailed bike build thread".

It's not just plastic bikes. I wrecked a Columbus Neuron steel frame within a month of purchase by unshipping the chain in a race. I dont have one at present becasue I cant fit one on my current (plastic) bike due to tube profiles & a band on mech.

Funny thing, I don't remember anyone spec'ing their chain catcher in the "detailed bike build thread".

Go read the first page again. I have both my k-edge chain catcher and garmin mount listed.

Just for the record, i use one for my Electronic Dura Ace.

If only a sequence of events had taken place along the following lines, helping you achieve your goal...

1. The people who made the item you bought had also had the foresight to write a manual which you could read.
2. Someone had developed a service on the internet where you would search and instantly find the answer to anything ever in the history or ever.
3. Someone had posted several massive close-ups of chain catchers fully installed on professional racers bikes by the profession mechanics of said professional racers.

Well exactly. Instead I'm left sharing a room with a guy who says that he "Ain't wearing no damn 10 speed Dura-Ace chain". I'm sending him back.

Mine arrived today and took around 6 minutes to fit - SIMPLE
That is not a scratch on the bottom bracket area...P10-03-14_16.08.JPG

@gunj I'd definitely be using a catcher for Di2 . Seen Eric jump his chain far too many times! And with Di2 you cannot manually 'catch' the chain as you can with std cable system. You are stuck with a 100rpm cheese grater.

Sent from my chisel and stone.

@gunj I'd definitely be using a catcher for Di2 . Seen Eric jump his chain far too many times! And with Di2 you cannot manually 'catch' the chain as you can with std cable system. You are stuck with a 100rpm cheese grater.

Sent from my chisel and stone.

Erm I've manually "caught" the chain with Di2 the process is identical to that of a cable shift...... shift up and pedal as the mech moves..... job done.

If you can't do that then maybe taking up something like golf is better suited. ;)

Reactions: TCC
Back
Top Bottom