Tech Chain Catcher

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Yes, both of my team bikes have the Deda Dogtooth chain catcher. In a perfect world you or your mechanic would have done a perfect job of setting the derailleurs up so that for any casual rider a dropped chain would never be an issue. However when racing sods law dictates that it will happen at the worst time.

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
I have k-edges mounted on my and Naomi's bikes. I really don't want to chew up the carbon in such a high stress area, if the chain were to fall down there. Never had a chain drop since fitting them.
Cheap, light insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I like the SRAM integrated catchers. Yeah, Dogtooth if you have round seattube and all the others are cheap insurance. Though, good riders will 'catch' their own chain within a pedal stroke - afterall -- it's still in the derailer cage. So, unless you are doing CX I see these as about the same as a rear wheel 'pie plate'.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Funny thing, I don't remember anyone spec'ing their chain catcher in the "detailed bike build thread".

stanc

Maximum Pace
Sep 4, 2011
Brighton
It's not just plastic bikes. I wrecked a Columbus Neuron steel frame within a month of purchase by unshipping the chain in a race. I dont have one at present becasue I cant fit one on my current (plastic) bike due to tube profiles & a band on mech.

Andy in Tokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
If only a sequence of events had taken place along the following lines, helping you achieve your goal...

1. The people who made the item you bought had also had the foresight to write a manual which you could read.
2. Someone had developed a service on the internet where you would search and instantly find the answer to anything ever in the history or ever.
3. Someone had posted several massive close-ups of chain catchers fully installed on professional racers bikes by the profession mechanics of said professional racers.
Well exactly. Instead I'm left sharing a room with a guy who says that he "Ain't wearing no damn 10 speed Dura-Ace chain". I'm sending him back.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
@gunj I'd definitely be using a catcher for Di2 . Seen Eric jump his chain far too many times! And with Di2 you cannot manually 'catch' the chain as you can with std cable system. You are stuck with a 100rpm cheese grater.

Sent from my chisel and stone.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
@gunj I'd definitely be using a catcher for Di2 . Seen Eric jump his chain far too many times! And with Di2 you cannot manually 'catch' the chain as you can with std cable system. You are stuck with a 100rpm cheese grater.

Sent from my chisel and stone.

Erm I've manually "caught" the chain with Di2 the process is identical to that of a cable shift...... shift up and pedal as the mech moves..... job done.

If you can't do that then maybe taking up something like golf is better suited. ;)