What's new

Tech Cervelo Soloist Budget Build - Completed (for now)

A small amount of progress, also trued the wheels a bit and fitted the lifeline carbon pads.
image.jpg

Installing the tires - I used the 3M PBT-20 tape mentioned elsewhere on this forum. It worked well but the paper backing isn't very strong so you need to use something to lift the tire off the rim while you pull the paper backing off, I used a marker pen.
IMG_0876.JPG

The Vittoria Strada isn't the most beautiful tire but it does have a good rep for reliability and a halfway decent ride quality.
IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

I like the carbon weave on the handlebars - almost tempted to not cover it up.
IMG_0880.JPG

This isn't a weight weenie but from the start I wanted to build something around 7 kg so this is a bit spooky. It turned out to be EXACTLY 7kg! I wish I could say this was due to careful calculation, but it's a pretty good result.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to get a little creative with my cable routing :)

IMG_0888.JPG

Nothing touching the head tube (it almost makes up for my poor attempt at bar tape wrapping).
IMG_0892.JPG

Bike looks great--am attempting something similar with a Cervelo SLC SL that I picked up here a few weeks ago from Danny. Since this thread is billed as a "budget build"--what, exactly, was the final cost, all in?

@Conrad

Hate to say it, but I think you might have bished on the top section of bartape.

You went round the outside of the shifter, which has led to the tape being wrapped in such a way that it is likely to unwrap itself from the twisting force of your hands, during climbing.

It is totally your build, so tell me to shut up, but I reckon it would be better to undo the top section down to the shifter, loop it round the inside, rather than the out, and rewrap the top part with the direction of the wrapping going the other way. This will mean that when you ride on the tops, and are pulling back and down with your hands, the tape will be tightening itself, rather than unwrapping...

Again, sorry to say this after you have it all finished!

I think you might have bished on the top section of bartape.
Yep, looking at it I think you're right. The problem with this tape is that when you pull it back it leaves the adhesive on the bars and can tear the tape, if I could strip it back without leaving the adhesive stuck to the bars it might work. Do you know of a work around for this?

Yep, looking at it I think you're right. The problem with this tape is that when you pull it back it leaves the adhesive on the bars and can tear the tape, if I could strip it back without leaving the adhesive stuck to the bars it might work. Do you know of a work around for this?

Erm... (from this thread)

If you have not yet received the Deda tape yet, consider changing the order to Fizik; it is about the same price, but unlike Deda tape does not come with 'nearly impossible to remove from your bars' sticky stuff on the back.

It's all good. I wrecked a 4000yen roll of premium Fizik tape the first time I installed my Di2 sprint switches. It happens.

Annoying, but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom