What's new

Caucasian skull shaped helmets

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
Available in Japan? Just discovered a couple of small cracks in my existing bone dome, not terribly happy about using it but nothing on hand.

Wiggle? How does helmet sizing work between the diffewrent brands? Just want a bog std road model, prefer something well vented.

I've had good fits with Bell and Kask, over the years. (I tried OGK Kabuto once or twice, but there is way too much air space left at the sides on my ellipsoidal cranium.)

Using a Kask Mojito since August 2016, which is very comfortable for me. Before that (from 2011), a Bell Volt. Bought on Amazon.co.jp and Rakuten, respectively.

I had a Bell volt until a nice typhoon decided it liked it.

Current one is a ILMIK Wind3.....seems like Japanese shape again but my kids bought it for me as a birthday present so seemed churlish to refuse.

My last 2 helmets are MET. I've been to stores where no helmet would fit me at all, except MET. Then order online for 40-50% better deals of course... ;)

My head is shaped like Admiral Akbar and METs (road, aeroroad, TT) always work for me.

Andy

The sizing guides on Wiggle are quite accurate when it comes to helmets, just measure your head's circumference and presto. I got a POC helmet in 2017, and do I love that thing. It is so light that I sometimes walk out of my apartment naked, without my helmet and I don't immediately notice. I got it on sale for 15,000 ¥, and my love for all things orange came in handy this time.

I had an LAS before--very comfortable. Present one is Specialized.

I bought both in a local shop so that I could try them on.

The sizing guides on Wiggle are quite accurate when it comes to helmets, just measure your head's circumference and presto. I got a POC helmet in 2017, and do I love that thing. It is so light that I sometimes walk out of my apartment naked, without my helmet and I don't immediately notice. I got it on sale for 15,000 ¥, and my love for all things orange came in handy this time.
so POC doesnt stand for Piece of Crap then? Does the 'sunnies garage' work with other brands of glasses?

I had an LAS before--very comfortable. Present one is Specialized.

I bought both in a local shop so that I could try them on.

I have owned 2 LAS helmets. I got them on blowout online a while back. They were good and no real complaints, however I did find them to be a tad wider (more round) for my Oval head. The adjustable lock in the rear held the helmet firmly in place, however for my head shape, I have moved on.

If LAS fits you well, it is a great helmet. If it fits you pooly, it is still a decent helmet.

When I am in the US, I have a tendency to go to shops and try on stuff like helmets and shoes. If I find something that is perfect, I pay retail for it. I consider that the service charge for having it in stock and letting me try it on. Once that is done, future purchases are made online for savings, since no service is required.

so POC doesnt stand for Piece of Crap then?
Oh no, no, the build quality is definitely the best of any helmet I have owned so far bar none: the fastening system is amazing and made the helmet fit snug and comfortably right from the start. Plus, the helmet is super light and very well ventilated. And the helmet came with a second set of pads, which is really something that screwed me with my previous helmet (as that model isn't available in Japan, so I could not order the pads here, ugh!).
Does the 'sunnies garage' work with other brands of glasses?
I don't know, because I need glasses to see.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'm white and I use the OGK Kabuto in an XL/XXL and have had no problems with it so far. It's actually my second one as I crashed and cracked the first one up in the mountains last year. Cost me about 6,500 yen on Amazon (3 or 4 thousand cheaper than at Asashi Cycles btw).

Back
Top Bottom