What's new

Cat Eye Cycle Computer Calorie Burner Formula for Weight

ikedawilliams

Speeding Up
Oct 15, 2010
I have an el-cheapo Cat Eye cyclo-compter which has a calories burned calculator. I am super happy with, considering the price, but it seems that the calorie counter gets the time and distance, but the weight part must be some non-adjustable pre-determined figure that is likely less than my actual weight. Does anyone know a multiplier/formula or way I could (not accounting for wind) get closer to the actual number of calories burned? If not, is there a calorie burner calculator available on-line that incorporates speed, time, and weight? Any info would be much appreciated.

Actually, I bought the wife one of those computers but it was just to encourage her to try and cycle a bit longer by watching the calories burning number increase. You won`t get any useable info out of such a calorie counter, as if it just measures speed and distance it has no way of knowing if the 1K you cycled at 15 kph was on the flat, down a slope or up a 10% gradient. As I`m sure you realise, there is a massive difference in the amount of energy expended in those scenarios. Likewise (as you mentioned), were you doing this into a headwind or with the assist of a tailwind? etc.etc.etc.

I was trying to get some sense of how many calories I was burning, but yah... with wind and slope it is too hard to tell. It seems that based on my weight, in addition to distance and speed, the on-line calculators often give a 3-fold figure compared to the computer. I guess that will have to do. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom