What's new

Carrying emergency information on the road

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
As I ride mostly solo, having some sort of emergency data on me all the time seems to be logical.

Besides the water bootle, pump and extra tubes, I always bring with me a jimi wallet:
http://thejimi.com/demo.php

It contains my hokenshou, my ARC, my JR SUICA, and some cash. This is enough for Japan. Though if I ride outside Japan it might not be as useful as I would want it to be.

I think this setup is OK, but what other information should I make available?

How does everyone else carry emergency information? I've seen other people carry cards in Ziploc bags, I used to do that before I got the plastic case.

I've read about RoadID from the US. Is there something similar but more internationally available/accepted?

Regards,
Rommel

Basically Paramedics and A&E doctors will look through your pockets (If able to do so) to check for ID.

So its always best to have your ID and medical insurance cards in a easy to find spot. Middle back pocket in a zip lock bag for me, some people I know put them in saddle bags or in bottle cage containers which I wouldn't recomend as they will normally leave your bike at the scene for the police to deal with.

Road ID and other non-Japanese ID tags are good however if theyare not mainstream in the country you are in they won't be looking for them.

Your helmet should have come with a JFC and ID sticker so its a good idea to fill in the ID sticker and put it in the helmet.

I carry the following;

Cash
Credit Card
Alien Registration Card
National Health Insurance Card.

That covers all bases, I reckon.

Like James, that lot gets shoved in a 7-11 sandwich bag, and put in the middle rear zippered pocket.

I don't bother switching things around, so my wallet just goes in a jersey pocket (not a lot, but all the usual stuff). It's ragged enough that getting sweaty doesn't matter, and easily recognized as a wallet/ID pack. (I do keep my driver's license behind something else, so if stopped for a bike infraction, I might get by without showing it.)

Add a meishi to the above

Besides the things mentioned, a cell could be also be used--someone with an iphone, maybe the home/user card could help. Other phones, maybe the call log or an entry or two might do the same.

to laminate is the answer

For the emergency info kit, I would not include any actual cards such as your "kenko hoken hihokensha sho" but rather produce/forge? :D laminated cards from color photocopies...for emergency situations they will be just as good as the real card.

I don't like to switch ID and other important cards from my everyday wallet - so just for cycling, I always have three mini-ziplock bags ready containing the following items:

Ziplock No.1 (emergency info kit) :
(1) an expired driver's licence (has photo and is good alternative to alien card which I only carry on me when I go traveling abroad)
(2) my contact details on a meishi
(3) a five-thousand yen bill
(4) an omamori (probably the most important item)

Ziplock No.2:
Coins - mostly 500 yen ones - I don't like convenience-store prepaid cards (prejudice?).

Ziplock No.3:
Keitai since mine is not waterproof.

Of course I also always carry my camera (waterproof!) with me - I don't like keitai/smartphone pictures - maybe I'm a bit prejudiced here too.

All these ziplock bags, camera and depending on the weather a pocketable windbraker get evenly tucked inside my three backpockets. I like to put the bulkiest items in the middle pocket for better balance, aerodynamics :D & looks :cool:

Another great thread with excellent advice. I hadn't thought of colour photocopying the health insurance, that should really help out. The one issued in September(?) is already starting to look a little ragged from being stuffed in a jersey pocket hastily while trying to get out the door!

I use ziploc,too. The only thing that I add that hasn't been mentioned is a mini-wipe towel thingie(gosh, what do you call it in English) for the sunglasses. With all the sweat climbing up the mountains, the shades usually need a good wipe at the top of the toge...:bike:

Yep photocopies are perfect acceptable and actually TOM thats a great idea.

One other thing that is a good idea is have a laminated emergency contact number with the name of the person and relationship.... clearly mark it that its an emergency contact number. Also if you have a prefered hospital you can put that on there too.

Kikuna Memorial or Tsurugamine General hospital....both have hot nurses and the later is where all the Kerin riders ask to go!

Very good advice from everyone.
Thank you.

I might need to re-think the materials I bring, specially the original copies.
Specially when I intend to ride in a country outside Japan.

I definitely recommend having your Alien Registration card.

I got stopped last year. I didn't have it on me. It caused all kinds of trouble and I ended up having to go to the police station twice, have fingerprints, mug shots taken etc.

Tom, a good keitai takes good pictures. Mine is an Aquos Shot (Sharp, Docomo) and I use it for all my pictures and for music on the rollers too.

James, all great advice. Unfortunately the choice of hospital probably won't work. My mate Andrew fell off on the way down Mount Yahiko. The mountain is on the Niigata / Nagaoka border. He fell off just inside the Nagaoka side. Despite protests about him living in Niigata and Niigata hospital being closer, they were adamant that he had to go to Nagaoka. He still got them to take his bike in the ambulance though!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I definitely recommend having your Alien Registration card.

I got stopped last year. I didn't have it on me. It caused all kinds of trouble and I ended up having to go to the police station twice, have fingerprints, mug shots taken etc.Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

That's because we are legally obliged to carry it with us at all times! Just like Japanese visiting overseas have to carry thier passports with them.

One more thing that I bring always is my "bicycle registration" (jitensha bouhan toroku/自転車防犯登録). I haven't been stopped but it's there just in case.

One more thing that I bring always is my "bicycle registration" (jitensha bouhan toroku/自転車防犯登録). I haven't been stopped but it's there just in case.

On my "papachari" yes, but none of them stickers on my road racers...please :D!

(one is supposed to stick those almost-irremovable seals on a prescribed very visible spots on the frame - doing it under the bottom bracket is NG :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom