What's new

Help Carbon frame repair recommendations

If you can squeeze on a 56 with a bit of stem and seat post adjustment, there is a cool looking old SuperSix Evo on Yahoo Auctions. This frame is probably lighter than your Ultimate. It comes with the seat post, but doesn't look like a special one that can't be replaced and screws up your bike fit. Like your Ultimate, this will probably only take 25s.
Hmm, maybe you're thinking of an older model of the Ultimate. I'm running GP5000 28s with at least 5 mm clearance everywhere. A quick google tells me the 2012 supersix evo s 695 g and that the Ultimate CF SLX is 780 g. Assuming those numbers are both for the same size frame, that's pretty impressive.

Cheers,

Evo.

Good luck with the repair. I never experienced in Japan so can't help there. But did you touch base with Canyon Japan? They should know who is repairing locally even if their policy is to send back to Europe.

Do you plan to replicate the paint in affected area or go for a full custom job? I imagine price may not differ much?

Thanks for the comments Evo. An L in a Canyon? That'll be bigger than pretty much everything in Japan.

I happily did 7000 km on my Ultimate before thinking about changing anything. I was just surprised because the one I have is an SL (superlight) and its 7050g without pedals. A lightweight saddle and post would put it close to UCI limit. I'm a Canyon fan, they spec good parts so you get the full gruppo and their bikes are light weight for the price. That being the case, I didn't expect there to be more weight that could be taken off for very little outlay.

Hi,
Good luck with the repair. I never experienced in Japan so can't help there. But did you touch base with Canyon Japan? They should know who is repairing locally even if their policy is to send back to Europe.
No I hadn't. Don't know why I didn't think to do so. I've had *a lot* of contact with them regarding this bike in the past. I just fired them off a message. FYI my dealings with Canyon Japan regarding this bike have included:

1. Frame replacement under warranty when front derailleur was ripped out of the frame
2. Rear rim replacement under warranty - overheated and started to delaminate
3. Full crankset replacement under warranty - driveside crank started to fail in the classic "Thanks Shimano" fashion. Timing on this one was awesome - was just coming up on the 3 year warranty limit and had about 50,000 km on the chainrings.

Do you plan to replicate the paint in affected area or go for a full custom job? I imagine price may not differ much?
Not sure. Will wait and see the estimates.

I also contacted https://ruckuscomp.com/ as featured on the CylingTips podcast (see https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/ner...kes-cheap-mtb-parts-and-broken-carbon-frames/) I already got estimates from them: 500 USD for what they call "Back in Black" and 750 USD for "Full Restoration". For this particular frame at those price points I think the "Back in Black" is the way to go.

Shipping to/from the US should only be about 10,000 JPY in total. Ruckus also has life time warranty where as Carbon Dry Japan is only 12 months. It's looking like CDJ will have a tough time competing... it also seems they are super slow to provide a quote.

Cheers,

Evo.

Thanks for the comments Evo. An L in a Canyon? That'll be bigger than pretty much everything in Japan.
Yeah, anything larger than an M or 56 cm is pretty rare.
I happily did 7000 km on my Ultimate before thinking about changing anything. I was just surprised because the one I have is an SL (superlight) and its 7050g without pedals. A lightweight saddle and post would put it close to UCI limit. I'm a Canyon fan, they spec good parts so you get the full gruppo and their bikes are light weight for the price. That being the case, I didn't expect there to be more weight that could be taken off for very little outlay.
Mine is basically stock. The only real modification was when I cut down the steerer tube. It's quoted at 6.5 kg, so adding my Ultegra pedals it would just make it UCI legal. I also like Canyon but I don't think they are for everyone.

You'll have a job finding a frame for a tall rider with as sporty geo as an Ultimate in Japan. Is yours an L? I'd expect most big frames here to have relaxed geo. They will be big bikes for people who don't bend over, not big bikes for tall people who want to go fast.

I have an Alu Ultimate that is the "superlight" model, but only discovered recently that the stock saddle and seatpost combo weighs nearly 450g. My other bike has Chinese carbon that weighs 200g less but only cost 4500 yen.
Just weighed the stock saddle and seatpost: 440 g.

You too?
I suppose its a feature, not a bug. You have a superlight bike with a relatively heavy saddle and seatpost that allow a very cheap and quite big extra weight saving should you desire it. I expect that most folks' experiences at 7Kg or below with other bikes will be paying big just to save 20g here, 30g there. Unlike the cockpit, Canyon use a 1 1/4 inch steerer, the seat post is regular size and its easy to find other parts or swap in ones you may have already.

You too?
I suppose its a feature, not a bug.
Actually I think it probably is. I need to check but I expect that the saddle is to blame. I think it's a pretty low level version of the Antares. Many people are very particular about what saddle they use so will simply switch out whatever a bike comes with for their own saddle. I happen to get along reasonably well with most saddles so never really thought about upgrading.

Similar to how bikes don't come with pedals.

Back
Top Bottom