What's new

Carbon Bars on offer

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
FYI.... A certain UK bike website starting with the letters "C" and "R" seems to have some large discounts (65%) on older FSA and Ritchey Carbon bars. Hated ordering from them as I find their customer service fairly dreadful compared to their UK competitor (lets call them "W"), but at that price I can't complain

Thanks for the info.

I am curious as to why you are being shy about naming Chain Reaction and Wiggle. Is there some legal ramification?

While I'm company name-dropping… Foska? I 'ardly know 'er.

Reactions: mau
In addition to costing twice as much, carbon bars offer no real advantages over similar alloy bars. The Ritchey WCS Logic Curve is lighter in the alloy version and won't break in a crash. It will bend and save you from a more catastrophic outcome or at least from a bike without steering. For the most part, pro riders do not use carbon bars for these last reasons.
I beg to differ. At least for me anyhow. I had 2 previous aluminium bars before and after riding reasonably long distances my hands would tingle for a few hours afterwards. I changed to carbon bars and was convinced that nothing would change (I don't tend to believe all the marketing cr@p) but to my surprise, the tingling stopped. I haven't had it happen once since I changed over.

ptsss... carbon makes you look at life in another light, everything is a tad bit brighter, easier to get out of bed at morning, the food taste better, in general you quality of life improves about 1.289%. Only advantage of carbon my ass... don't listen to the haters @leicaman

Thanks @macrophotofly for the tip, if they would have had the ritchiey super logic seatpost in 27.2, I would have jumped on it in sec! got to match my bars you know...

haha! Good to hear!

Saddle looks awesome! (not very comfortable though :p )

I still don't see a reason to not get carbon bars... (maybe criterium racing) it's not like they snap on command... I took a fall that twisted my levers pretty bad... no problems with my bars though.

Damn! Now you're going to make me spend more money to get these http://www.tokenproducts.com/index....&class=10&site=list&action=read&id=263&page=1 :confused:

The Token seat is actually quite comfortable, providing you give it a few rides to get used to it and you have a good quality pad for damping. Last week I re-installed my Selle Italia SL Flow to ride on the trainer indoors and after 30 minutes, I could not take it anymore. I went right back to my carbon seat to find relief :)
Ohh.. that's a sweet looking bar! I say go for it! ;-)

I am curious as to why you are being shy about naming Chain Reaction and Wiggle.
Just wanted to avoid being accused of being a Shill (not that I have any vested interest in either brand, but I've seen some forums attack fast if you show any kind of support for a mainstream shop/product - and I'd seen this approach avoid it elsewhere)

Even my seat is carbon....
Thats one mean looking seat. I'm sure it matches my theory on inverse proportion of seat padding to price?

Alloy has a very consistent Young's modulus and only by 'shaping' can you vary the sectional flex. Whereas carbon is quite easy to make some sections 'stiffer' or ' softer' or change the torsional flex. A superb example of this is the Graphite Design bars, which take sectional tuning to a whole new level. If you play golf, or use a carbon flyrod, you'll know what I mean (GD are the leaders in these 'tuned' shaft constructions). A generic carbon bar will dampen more of the transient energy than alloy. This is a fact. And why <most> riders find that carbon bars are more comfortable or result in less 'tingling'. Combine that with a more tunable flex profile and you have a killer bar. For me personally:

Case 1: My regular climb of Tomin No Mori. With the GD setup I can squeak at least 1min over using a standard Alloy bar (Deda Zero 100 in this case).
Case 2: Over multi-day stage event, riding carbon bar / stem I experienced minimal, if any palm numbness, tingling or other issues that I had the previous year while using an alloy (again Deda Zero 100) setup.

In fact, with the GD cockpit I don't even think about the bars at all. They are very transparent to the system.

FWI - I have a few sets of generic carbon bars I'm selling quite cheap. Only 7500 yen/set. They are mfg'd in China, next door to the Specialized fab. So, if you wanna know where the, ahem, design and technicians came from, well, you could say the Roubaix Valley. No one has broken a set yet and quite a few have tried, believe me.

As for me, I lusted after the GD's for a long time. They are definitely 'N+1' material. The custom set costs more than I'd wish to share - however it's the contact and control points that really make or break a ride, and this is a critical one. I didn't order until I was 100% nailed on the fit by Chuck, btw. Stem is made to order in 1mm increments.

Not that I know anything about it, but I was wondering if/when someone would mention material mix. Carbon bars on alu stem, or the opposite…? ;)

Not that I know anything about it, but I was wondering if/when someone would mention material mix. Carbon bars on alu stem, or the opposite…? ;)

I race carbon bars with alloy stems - running the DEDA 35's and if you want a bar that dampens and is ultra stiff these really are the ultimate - they taper off to standard width in the drops and I have to say I have never ridden a more comfortable bar.

They are designed and fabricated in Italy

Definitely agree on the 35's. They are just a tad big for those with smaller hands, which is why I went with the GD's. They are a constant 32mm down to the levers. Also the GD stem is seriously supportive compared to any other carbon stem I've tried. Otherwise, I'd go for the Deda Z-100 stems w/Deda 35 bar as the ultimate, pro weapon.

running the DEDA 35's and if you want a bar that dampens and is ultra stiff these really are the ultimate
Deda 35 bar as the ultimate, pro weapon

Always one for announcing a "bargain", it would seem the other UK website, lets call them "W":D, has the Deda 35 bars at 40% off,
....but before you all run off to look, the price is still 27k (with discount). Oh and bar width starts at 42cm, the stems start at 90mm, so only Orangutans, Gorrillas and Chimpanzees please apply.

generic carbon bars I'm selling quite cheap. Only 7500 yen/set
:eek:Note to self, ring Tim first before automatically hitting the bargain buy button

I'd think that the Deda series falls in the ball park of riders fitting it. Less than 420 would imply smaller riders with smaller hands, etc. And personally, I find that stems from 100-130mm give the best overall handling characteristics for modern compact frames. A little shorter for pure climbers, maybe, but much less than 100 and the input is too sensitive for serious stomping.

Oh and bar width starts at 42cm, the stems start at 90mm, so only Orangutans, Gorrillas and Chimpanzees please apply.

So you require something smaller and shorter - are you a kindergarten student? My 6 year old son rides a 90mm stem!

So you require something smaller and shorter
400mm bar and 80mm stem are my tools of choice with a TT of 555mm and seat post set back 25mm + seat bolted as far back as it can go (post fitting). Hoping the next bike will have a TT of 540 then I can reach out to a 90-100mm stem. Having said that I've never felt my steering was too sensitive, even with a 70mm stem - maybe I'm just good at correcting. Going by the number of full price 400mm bar in Y's (and larger sizes on offer), its a popular width here in Tokyo too.

think that the Deda series falls in the ball park of riders fitting it
Good point - a stiffer bar and wider diameter grip are more likely to be on the shopping lists of Old Men of the Forests

Good point - a stiffer bar and wider diameter grip are more likely to be on the shopping lists of Old Men of the Forests

LOL this Orangatan still destroys your best times around Lake Saiko without a TT setup :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom