What's new

Car transporter for bike

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I like to go camping, and with camping season starting I figured I would sort out my bike carrying capabilities to include some riding on my mountain retreat weekends...

So racks....

I have seen a few, On rook racks, on a back rack

The roof rack ones looks dangerous in terms of cross winds and damaging wheels.
But I suppose I could drive with my "other" wheels fitted.

The back one the bike would be supported and bounced along on its top cross bar...

Which is better? or are there any other options I am not considering.

Please post up if you have any experience!:)

The roof racks aren't dangerous at all in fact they are the safest out of all of them - remember your bike is designed to travel at high speeds with over 80kg of weight on it - on the roof rack its probably hitting the same speeds yet with no weight on them. There is no additional pressure or forces on the wheels apart from the wind resistance and speed so again no issue with damage.

I drove 700km 2 weeks ago with two Pinarello's on the roof, both with deep dish wheels - no issues, then again this weekend to Izu in the incredible winds and taking the Toyoturn pike and other mountain pass roads with no issues at all to the bikes.

I have the INNO racks where the fork locks in to the rack so you can leave the bikes unattended as its impossible to remove them unless you chop the rack off and then the alarm in the car goes off.

The racks that attach to the back of the car I do not recommend - firrst off all you have to legally have a light bar and registration plate attached to it, the bikes are prone to rocking as they are clamped at the weakest point (top tube) and the amount of times I've seen people been rear ended in to the bikes by idiots day dreaming in traffic.

Top racks all the way - after all its Pro!

What James wrote

Absolutely, best is in the back of a car/wagon. Next in the bed of an open truck, then roof and lastly hanging off the back. No worries with bikes up un the roof, mine are suported by the wheels and downtube. They can be locked in and I have no fears about getting rear ended. If you have room in your trunk the ones that you lock you front forks onto the rack and the front wheel goues in the car lower the profile. BUT watch out going into parking buildings!!!

In the back of the car is the ideal solution as I do beleive the bikes are thus insured- but leaves very little space for the camp equipment and family. :D

You can always do what I do - each year my family goes caming in Yamanashi they drive I ride..... normally I take a TTC wing man for some suffering last year it was Fumiki and the year before Yair.

I have a Saris 3 bike back of the car rack and have used it many times without issues. The bikes are strapped by the top tube AND down tube. There is no rocking. Only one downside I find is loading tree bikes on the rack then having to open the rear door.
If traveling alone it's rear seats down and front wheel off with the forks in a clamp in the back of the car. Locked safely inside!

Thanks for the replies, My bike lives in my car (Stepwagon) so there is usually plenty of room in the back.

Of course as Far east said with my tribe and camping gear as well there will be no room left for bikes.

So the roof it is!
Far East said Inno

What other brands do you recommend?

I really like the Saris Bones carriers but with a station wagon and a ton of gear they are a real pain after loading. Most Kiwis in NZ use a carrier on the trailer hitch. I sold a young aspiring racer a Kestrel with Campy Record and on the way home their parked car got rear ended by an uninsured driver. Plastic will only bend so far before "SNAP". Poor kid was in tears for days, I would have liked to helped him but his dad lowballed me on price. Kharma perhaps.

Thanks for the replies, My bike lives in my car (Stepwagon) so there is usually plenty of room in the back.

Of course as Far east said with my tribe and camping gear as well there will be no room left for bikes.

So the roof it is!
Far East said Inno

What other brands do you recommend?

THULE all bought second hand. The stuff lasts for years.
http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.j...車用キャリア&tab_ex=commerce&oq=&istatus=2&slider=0
Remember you'll need cross bars to fit the bike carriers on.

Does the step wagon have roof rails on it, otherwise you'll have quite an investment to make. If you are carrying one bike a couple of times a year, rear rack would make more sense as most stuff can be accessed from inside the car. Multiple bikes many times a year then a roof rack would be better.

What got me thinking about it was the stepwagon i saw witha bike on the roof!! So they definitely have the potential. Might drop into the Honda shop on the way home....

Been looking at food racks recently. Also thought about the rear ones that use a trailer hitch. Didn't think about the rear ending thing, good point there!

Was leaning toward Thule, got the catalog. One thing I haven't figured out is how systems (Thule, inno, Yakima, etc) fit onto rails on the car. Is that a fairly generic interface or do car makers provide some kind of compatibility info?

Is that a fairly generic interface or do car makers provide some kind of compatibility info?

Your catalog should show what attachment will fit your model of car. It all depends if you have factory installed rails or not. Generally you'll have no trouble making them fit.

Some of my friends with expensive carbon forks won't clamp their frames on the roof anymore. Not sure if they know something we don't but one of them said they may split or crack especially if attached too tightly.

I used to have a stepwagon which was good. My Forester fills up with the 2 dogs in the back and bikes on the roof and the family stay home when I go on my summer Hakuba holiday.

My next car will be a big black muther of a HIACE van. Not sure if I'll be able to get one though before my dogs die of old age.
I'd trade in now for one if I could...
My Forester at only 4 and a bit years old has 73,000km on it already.

One thing I hate about bikes on the roof is hitting low ceilings in shopping centers... (have done it twice) The first time destroyed a fork, my wife's saddle... :warau: Easy to forget if you only put them on the roof occaisionally.

I have a Saris 3 bike back of the car rack and have used it many times without issues. The bikes are strapped by the top tube AND down tube. There is no rocking. Only one downside I find is loading tree bikes on the rack then having to open the rear door.

I also have the saris 3 (had it way before I bought a road bike!). You do get some rocking and stuffing 3 bikes needs care. However, it was the most inexpensive solution for me at the time and it has served me well.

I'd recommend it only if money is tight though.

Some of my friends with expensive carbon forks won't clamp their frames on the roof anymore. Not sure if they know something we don't but one of them said they may split or crack especially if attached too tightly.

I used to have a stepwagon which was good. My Forester fills up with the 2 dogs in the back and bikes on the roof and the family stay home when I go on my summer Hakuba holiday.

My next car will be a big black muther of a HIACE van. Not sure if I'll be able to get one though before my dogs die of old age.
I'd trade in now for one if I could...
My Forester at only 4 and a bit years old has 73,000km on it already.

One thing I hate about bikes on the roof is hitting low ceilings in shopping centers... (have done it twice) The first time destroyed a fork, my wife's saddle... :warau: Easy to forget if you only put them on the roof occaisionally.

Most poeple over tighten thier front QR skewers as well all you need to do is lock it in place - even with the slightest pressure on the fork its impossible to remove the bikes - same as the wheel once the QR is locked and in place.... But unless you are cranking the fork mount there is no danger in damaging the forks.

James, did you ever have any problems or concerns about stones flying up from trucks/cars in front of you? I've seen what they can do to windshields, can't be great for the bikes.

Simon--thanks for that auction link. We have the cross bars already (from early days when the kids were skiing), I think they're Inno, but maybe Thule.

The bike-specific parts that attach look reasonably priced.

My car is a small Fit, so no problem getting bikes on top, but with a Stepwagon I'd wonder if you'd need a step-ladder when getting them up or down.

If anyone is in the market, one model of Honda's Freed has a seating arrangement that allows for an upright mama-chari to go straight in the back between the seats. Really easy, I still sometimes wonder if I should've gone for one of those instead. I also dreamed about a new Hi-Ace super GL..., maybe someday.

Finally, for as many stories as there are about someone with a rear bike rack being rear-ended, there are probably as many (or more?) stories about those with roof racks that have forgotten for a crucial moment or two about vertical clearance!

John D.

Cross bars are mix and match items, I have Thule carriers on IVRinno bars. We have a Mitsubishi Delica , much higher than a Stepwagon and I just use the open rear door as a step.

Your catalog should show what attachment will fit your model of car. It all depends if you have factory installed rails or not. Generally you'll have no trouble making them fit.

Well, I flipped through all the glossy pics only to find.... more glossy pics.

Thankfully the intertubes have helped, indeed it seems to be as you say, generally should fit (factory rails). Good news. I've learned that the Yellow Hat guys are generally not very good at this, so google is key here.

:confused:

Well, I flipped through all the glossy pics only to find.... more glossy pics.

Thankfully the intertubes have helped, indeed it seems to be as you say, generally should fit (factory rails). Good news. I've learned that the Yellow Hat guys are generally not very good at this, so google is key here.

:confused:

I`m looking at the mo (not decided yet), as we no longer have room to fit the bike in the car :cry: For Thule, if you go on their homepage, it lists what is required for all models of cars (well within reason). There is also this recent offering, which doesn`t require any clamping of any part of the bike.
1332965740654-jmbmsktabxy6-670-70.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/news/article/saris-grand-fondo-car-rack-just-in-33571/

Thanks, Sikochi. Going to the home page instead of through google searches is certainly much better!

I'm not sure I'm convinced about the non-trailer hitch back carriers like that. It's got to put the pressure somewhere, and probably be somewhere that isn't designed for it. Resting on the bumper might not be so bad if it does that. Several years ago when I looked at something for a sedan, I was warned off of ones that attach to the trunk (boot) as during long/fast/bumpy rides it could pull the ends up which would be bad.... I'm sure technology and design has moved on much more since then.... just haven't looked....

Back
Top Bottom