What's new

Caps & Helmets

Just wondering... why do some racers wear a cap under their helmet?

Not only racers, also most messengers. I never wear my helmet without a cap either. The guys at my LBS once described the smell of used helmets as "fetid", like a "bowl of old Japanese curry". :D

I sometimes do like Thomas, to soak up sweat. My scalp sometimes needs the extra protection... Was getting a bacterial infection on the top of my head from the helmet. Easier to wash the cap than the helmet.

Same as Thomas and Pete, for me it's mostly to keep sweat off the helmet.

Also,
-keep sun out of eyes, or if the sun is overhead/behind, flip cap to protect back of neck.
-keep sweat out of eyes
-keep rain out of eyes
-look pro :)

:bike:

Definitely the latter

in my case.....and to distract attention from the beer gut. Sometimes wear a bandana if I am in the mood instead....

Charles aka chazzer

Most unfortunately I'm in the same predicament as that described by the Fat cyclist. Without a cap, I'm left with a very strange suntan. Doesn't help either that I burn at the slightest bit of sun.

Another cycling mystery solved. Cheers.

Another cycling mystery solved.

Cheers

Sorry for 2nd post... IT problems (anyway to delete this?)

Most unfortunately I'm in the same predicament as that described by the Fat cyclist. Without a cap, I'm left with a very strange suntan. Doesn't help either that I burn at the slightest bit of sun.

I kind of like the "Maori" effect!

I have two helmets. One of them is oversize and in the winter I can put a beanie under it so I'm warm.
Better than wearing no helmet. Such as unfortunate young man yesterday when he crashed going around Kokyo. That's my morning riding loop as many in the city. I saw this guy sitting on the curb holding his head, blood gushing forth. My guess is he clipped a car on the side and hit the curb on the left loosing controll of his flatbar bike and slamming his head into the pedestrain rail. Suppose he was lucky to be concious.
I suppose when you grow up in an environment that no one wears helmets while cycling it's just seems fine to go without. However, it's not a freaking mamacheri and your not on the sidewalk going 10kph, so figure it out son. I know I'm preaching to the congregation here but I would like to encourage anyone who is joined on a ride by a helmet-less rider to shun them and let them know why.
About five years ago my riding companion in Tokyo, Sean rode into the back of a truck wearing no helmet. The next time I saw him was in a casket. Ironically he had sent me several e-mails defending his lack of helmet days before the crash.
Finally when someone crashes and gets head trauma, it means the ambulance and police will come. This may mean that the police will patroll the area and harass cyclists in the future. This is what happened at Oi Futo. Several years ago we policed ourselves and did practice races and had great work outs at Oi. But recently the police are out every Sunday making sure the cyclist stop at every light, even the ones that have no merging traffic from the left side.
Okay, enough ranting. Hat or no I'm wearing a helmet.

I got into the habit of wearing a cap under my helmet when riding in South Florida.

In the afternoons (particularly after it rains) the air is often full of gnats or other small, flying insects. They seemed to get sucked into the vents on your helmet, and then begin crawling through your hair until they get out, or drown in sweat.

Bees are worse than gnats, and I've managed to get 2 of them caught up in my helmet over the years.

I got into the habit of wearing a cap under my helmet when riding in South Florida.

In the afternoons (particularly after it rains) the air is often full of gnats or other small, flying insects. They seemed to get sucked into the vents on your helmet, and then begin crawling through your hair until they get out, or drown in sweat.

Bees are worse than gnats, and I've managed to get 2 of them caught up in my helmet over the years.

Came across the OGK Mostro helmet that is supplied with an insect net. I'll keep this in mind for the new bone dome.

Must have been really itchy.

http://www.ogkhelmet.com/bicycle/motocross/mostro_vigor/index.html

Back
Top Bottom