What's new

Canadian currently on tour in Japan

Velojim

Cruising
Nov 16, 2009
I've posted a couple of times in the past year inquiring about routes and potential bear sightings prior to my tour of Japan. I'm now currently here on tour. For anyone interested, here is the link to my blog on travelpod.com:
[URL]http://blog.travelpod.com/members/velojim-japan[/URL]

I'm sure that my blog routes and experiences are standard fare for most of you but seem to be getting some good interest from my blog readers back home. This is a follow-on tour from my visit to Japan in 2010 but I'm on my own this time.

I'm on my way today to Yudanaka over Mt. Shirane and will be in Nagano on Friday and staying at the Toyoko Inn near the station. I've been hearing some clicking noises on and off from my cranks when I'm usually in my small chain ring grinding up a climb. Does anyone know of a good bike shop near the station?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. However, when I click on the link, it still doesn't seem to work. I guess anyone that is interested in reading my blog can type the URL into their browser.

The trip has been great so far except for some niggly knee pain. Today's climb over Mt. Shirane was amazing. The first two thirds up was socked in with low cloud and 50 metres visibility. It opened up and the sun shone when I got to the caldera but then the clouds rolled in again at the pass.

I'm in Yudanaka now and it's still quite warm. I just came in from dinner wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Cheers,

Jim

I'm enjoying the write-ups and photographs of your tour. Lots of fantastic scenery here, well worth the effort. Looking forward to today's entry.

I'm also reading the blog with great enjoyment.

I think it would be nice if you could introduce your bike.

Thanks Joe. However, when I click on the link, it still doesn't seem to work.

By "fixed your link" I meant the version of the link in my post should work, not that I changed something in your post (I can't do that as I'm not a forum moderator).

I always find blogs of bike tours so inspiring. I am sure many of us do.

There is no better way of seeing Japan (and probably most countries) than by bicycle, because it gives you a close-up view while still enabling you to cover vast distances in a reasonable time.

I'm following you, too--where are you heading after Nagano?

I'm following you, too--where are you heading after Nagano?

There is no set itinerary. It's all subject to the weather, how my legs are feeling and my whimsy, I guess. I'm now in Nagano after a short ride from Yudanaka. I was hoping to stay 2 nights here but had only reserved for one night and was hoping to add a second night upon check-in. I understand that this is a holiday weekend and the hotel is fully booked. I was planning to take a rest day tomorrow to give my knee a break and my butt too. I think I may be developing some saddle sores.

However, I'm open to suggestions. I'd still like to climb Norikura and Fuji before I finish up next weekend, maybe the infamous Otsuki loop that I've been reading about here too. A lot depends on the weather for the mountain climbs. Yesterday's ride up Shirane was a real experience going up most of the mountain in thick fog.

I may just hop on a train tomorrow and that opens up some more possibilities.

I'm also reading the blog with great enjoyment.

I think it would be nice if you could introduce your bike.
100_0350.JPG

I bought a Fuji Connoisseur steel frame from nashbar.com, which is, I think, the leading US online bike parts retailer. It's a bit on the heavy side but I didn't want to spend a whole lot on a touring bike. I then took it to the only bike shop in Vancouver that does S&S couplers and had them retrofitted to my bike. I then ordered a bunch of components online, a mix of nashbar, ebay, chainreactioncycles, etc. I ended up with 105 shifters, 105 front derailler, ultegra rear, SRAM Apex compact cranks, a 4600 12x28 cassette and 105 level brakes. The wheels are from Neuvation Cycling, an online wheel shop in California run by a bike industry veteran. I'm running Michelin 700x25 tires, my first time away from 700x23 as I thought I might need the grip for the rain here but so far it's been dry. The bike has served me well so far other than a bit of clicking noise from my cranks...they may just need to be tightened. All in, I think it cost about $2,000, of which the couplers alone was $600.

Back
Top Bottom