What's new

Can You Beat His Deejness?

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Hey TCCers!

Man, it has been ages since I've posted anything here. Having baby No. 3 a year and a half ago has really meant a big drop in my time on the bike. But I've been keeping an eye on our beloved TCC site, and have been watching the weekend ride reports with some envy, yes, but mostly with pleasure and a happy sense of anticipation that I'll be joining you guys soon enough.

While it's true that I haven't been riding much, I have been doing intervals fairly regularly on a trainer at the Chiyoda Ward Sports Center in the Otemachi/Kanda area. (Map here.)

My office happens to be near the gym, so about once a week, I'll pop in for intervals before, or occasionally after, work. I've been doing this for about three years now, and have grown to both love and dread it. Sitting on that damn bike, I've pushed myself to new mental and physical frontiers. I've made myself nauseous. I've made myself dizzy. I've spilled so much sweat that I literally needed to mop the floor afterward. I've breathed so hard for so long that the taste of blood fills every ragged breath. I've learned that even when I feel like I've used up every last ounce of energy -- that turning the pedals even one more time feels simply impossible -- I can go on for 30 more seconds, 60 more seconds, 90 more seconds. And knowing that I can overcome the pain and fatigue has created within me a small but precious kernel of pride that I always carry with me. Yeah, I know -- gag me. But it's kinda true.
6943666965_bba148e3e5_o.jpg

The Combi PowerMax V-II anaerobic trainer, or, the Throne of Pain

OK, pretty words, but those of you who've ridden with me before probably suspect by now that the point of this post is not to discuss the transformative nature of high-intensity intervals. No, Deej is here to throw down the gauntlet. The gauntlet of awesomeness. After all the hours, the years, I've spent spinning away in isolation -- like Rocky Balboa in Siberia, preparing for his showdown with Ivan Drago -- I want to know: Am I really the badass that I suspect I may be?
Allenamento%20in%20Russia%2002.jpg

I'm pretty sure the answer is ... yes. Yes I am. But I can't know for sure until some of you TCC hotshots come to the Chiyoda Ward Sports Center, strap yourselves into the same training bike, input the same resistance and time data that I use into the computer, and give it all you've got. It could be that your total wattage will be greater than mine.

So here's my challenge to you. Go to the gym, hop on the Combi-brand PowerMax V-II machine (there are two -- take your pick), and program the computer to do 3 two-minute intervals, with two-minute breaks in-between intervals. Set the resistance at 3.5. And if you are feeling dangerous, set the cadence at 110 rpm. If you fall below 110 at any time during the intervals, the machine will start beeping, which can get annoying very quickly. So after you've input all the data, the screen should look like this:
6943666889_d97a1bc952_o.jpg

The figures on the screen, from the top, show:
Resistance: 3.5
Time: 2 minutes
No. of Times: 3
Rest: 2 minutes
Cadence: 110 rpm

After you've completed all three intervals, push the button that says "表示切換 (hyouji kirikae)", and the screen will display your wattage for each interval. Add the three figures up and that's your total "score."

If you're not sure how to input the data, please ask one of the trainers. They are very friendly and will be happy to help.

OK, so what kind of wattage will it take to steal my crown? My best score ever was on June 6 last year, when I was super-strong because I was regularly commuting to work by bike. My numbers were: 417, 421, 421. For a total of 1,259. I'll say it right now -- I honestly don't think there's a TCCer out there who can top this.

Lately, I've barely been riding outside at all -- two onekan runs in the past four months -- so my power is down a fair bit from that fateful June day. My latest score (recorded Tuesday) was 387, 393, 405, for a total of 1,185. Still, I'm guessing that number will prove elusive for most. Because I am power and fury incarnate. Oh, and because I'm hitting the creatine pretty hard, too.

Alright, to recap: I am the king of bike intervals at the Chiyoda Ward Sports Center, and I've got deep insecurities that manifest themselves in the form of hyper-competitiveness and cringe-inducing (yet disarmingly self-effacing!) grandiosity. The challenge: Crank out more total wattage than Deej over the course of 3 two-minute intervals, with 2-minute breaks in-between spins.

Remember to warm up and warm down well. These put a lot of strain on the body. Performance hints -- to get a score of 1,185, you'll need a cadence of at least 115 rpm. To shatter the 1,259 mark, you'll have to spin at over 120 rpm.

Consider yourself a member of the Badass Club if you can stay above 110 rpm for all three intervals.

To those of you who take up the challenge, good luck! The first person to report that he or she has broken the 1,185 mark gets a beer on me (or other beverage of your choice). The first person to report topping 1,259 gets a beer (or, say, chocolate milk) plus this really gaudy neon Campy cycling cap from the early-90s I have that is still in its wrapper.

Maybe I'll see some of you at the gym! Oh, I should mention that it costs 500 yen to use the gym facilities, which are on the 3rd floor. Showers and lockers are on the same floor.

Deej

The Combi PowerMax V-II anaerobic trainer, or, the Throne of Pain

My school gym has the antique version of that, (two yellow ones, front), and I could be wrong, but I've never trusted the wattage readouts.

stationarybike.jpg

Seat and bars both adjust up and out, but due to the design (which I hope they've improved), by the time the "up" is set, reach is about 25-30cm too long. So I used to ride upright, no-handed. 3min on, and 1 min off, I forget what resistance setting, 85-90 rpm, about 40 min total.

I haven't used these this year at all, so no, I can't keep up!

Awesome post, Deej.. I really mean, the post is awesome. Whenever I feel any lack of testosterone, all I have to do is re-read it, and bang! - I'm a man again! :D

My gym has many kinds of cycling machines - I will see if they have the one you mentioned. Not sure if anyone can compete with you, but I'd love to see what you've been up to - sounds like fun.

Thank the LORD!

With all the talk or internal hubs, USB ports and mud guards I was getting worried!

Now all we need is the sun to come out and Mike "Softie" Sly to re emerge - that is if he can fit in his lycras!

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Clip in pedals or sneakers on plastic platform pedals

Sneakers on plastic platform pedals with toe-clips, cinched down with straps

I've never trusted the wattage readouts.
Yeah, the wattage may be off, but the important thing is to establish a baseline figure. Once you have that, you can measure yourself against those numbers to gauge your performance.

I'd love to see what you've been up to - sounds like fun
It is fun, Serguei, fun and kind of not so fun. Maybe we can hook up at the gym some evening and have a beer afterwards. It'd be great to see you again!

Awesome post, Deej.. I really mean, the post is awesome. Whenever I feel any lack of testosterone, all I have to do is re-read it, and bang! - I'm a man again! :D

The manliness of this thread is over 9000! This, and the "puke" thread from a couple of weeks ago were really fun to read! :D No, I mean it, I really do!

No, Deej is here to throw down the gauntlet. The gauntlet of awesomeness. After all the hours, the years, I've spent spinning away in isolation -- like Rocky Balboa in Siberia, preparing for his showdown with Ivan Drago -- I want to know: Am I really the badass that I suspect I may be?
Same as for Rocky ... only a real fight will tell - so you need to come out of Siberia and on the road :D.

The figures on the screen, from the top, show:
Resistance: 3.5
Time: 2 minutes
No. of Times: 3
Rest: 2 minutes
Cadence: 110 rpm
Recovery time looks too short to me. Maybe 8min is better to clean the legs from lactate and for the training effect.

OK, so what kind of wattage will it take to steal my crown? ... My latest score (recorded Tuesday) was 387, 393, 405, for a total of 1,185. Still, I'm guessing that number will prove elusive for most.
400 Watt for 2min is what it takes (for 70-80kg guy) to sprint up the Tama hills, many people can do that :warau:.

Because I am power and fury incarnate. Oh, and because I'm hitting the creatine pretty hard, too.
I always thought that Creatine is for body-builder not for endurance sport, you might get cramps on longer rides :eek:.

Malte, I see you fear my power.

Same as for Rocky ... only a real fight will tell - so you need to come out of Siberia and on the road :D.

I'll race you up any mountain this spring. And I will win. Guaranteed. But for now, I'm talking about trainer races.

Recovery time looks too short to me. Maybe 8min is better to clean the legs from lactate and for the training effect.
Lots of different approaches and philosophies concerning work-to-rest ratios. I do what works for me.

400 Watt for 2min is what it takes (for 70-80kg guy) to sprint up the Tama hills, many people can do that :warau:.
I never said the watt readings on these bikes are accurate. What I will say is that you probably cannot match my numbers.

I always thought that Creatine is for body-builder not for endurance sport, you might get cramps on longer rides :eek:.
A lot of nutritionists and trainers recommend it for all athletes. Why? because it works. The estimated power gains are about 5%.

Deej

Maybe, we will see :D. Spring starts soon so you better get used to proper bike shoes ;).

Sounds good! I also do a little spinning at home, so I should have no problems with the footwear. ;)

5989530825_b9d80ec938.jpg

Now where do we find a bookie? Owen? Are you lurking? I'd say we do this proper:

1) Hill repeats series.
2) Each loss gives an xx factor multiplier.
3) Loser loses one piece of kit in the process.
4) Loser loses the pot, plus their kit, plus the bike in the final.

Simple 'winner take all' including the King's New Clothes.

Locations?

1) Yabitsu West side?
2) Kazahari Rindo?
3) O Toge? (might be good due to minimal traffic)
4) Shiraishi Toge?
5) Wada Steep Side?

Or perhaps a series of all of them?

Actually the thought of you riding the train back, sans bike, would be precious.

Hahah ... What is this Strip Riding?
I prefer not to see you guys naked :eek:.

Deej, your photoshop skills are impressive. I looked closely, but could find no tell-tale warping of the floorboards where you have clearly post-processed your calves. I mean, there's no way all those bulges can be legit... right?

ps. Last year I had a crack on those bikes in the aforementioned gym and busted a gut, yet fell well short of the mark. :confused:

Deej, your photoshop skills are impressive. I looked closely, but could find no tell-tale warping of the floorboards where you have clearly post-processed your calves. I mean, there's no way all those bulges can be legit... right?

ps. Last year I had a crack on those bikes in the aforementioned gym and busted a gut, yet fell well short of the mark. :confused:

Clay, what you're seeing is 100% genuine Alpha Male Deej calf.

And yes, folks, it's true. Not even Clay could hit those numbers. Although it was only his first time, compared to my many. I'm pretty sure echothree would be setting new records if he tried it a couple more times. Or would he...?

Actually the thought of you riding the train back, sans bike, would be precious.

Tim, stop dreaming and take your bike and get in shape :), maybe start with your favorite - "Pete's Honey Badger HC Sprint" - and get that back, shouldn't be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom