What's new

Can You Beat His Deejness?

I can easily beat Zoolander, sorry, His Deejness, in a real race. Because I can turn to the right :D

Deej, your photoshop skills are impressive. I looked closely, but could find no tell-tale warping of the floorboards where you have clearly post-processed your calves. I mean, there's no way all those bulges can be legit... right?

Okay, what's the criteria for calves/calf pics?

From the six o'clock, or is some other angle better? Silhoutte only, or something else?

Malte - as a friend of mine once said (google it) 'Don't Waste Yourself'

Tim, stop dreaming and take your bike and get in shape :), maybe start with your favorite - "Pete's Honey Badger HC Sprint" - and get that back, shouldn't be difficult.

Bookies; how much money are you thinking about dropping on this?

We could do something 'in-house' ;)

@Ownen - I'll start wih a tenner

Is that a ¥10,000-er, or another kind of ten-er?

If I were a gambling man, I'd take a punt.

set a venue, see some numbers and get a spread. doesn't have to be a two horse race, either, does it?

I'm in. For video crew. :)

:bike: :bike: :bike:

Thank the LORD!

With all the talk or internal hubs, USB ports and mud guards I was getting worried!

Now all we need is the sun to come out and Mike "Softie" Sly to re emerge - that is if he can fit in his lycras!

Ha Ha Mr. Machin, you'll be happy to know I am slowly getting back into form! And yes you're spot on, it's great to see Deej back throwing testosterone challenges around! Deej my old buddy it's been too long since we rode together and I hope this season we'll once again find ourselves in battle over some of the majestic climbs Japan has to offer!

I will say for probably the 3rd time (it's gotta be lucky right?) Wada Toge will be mine! (sorry super human echothree, you're so fast I just ignore your Hall of Fame times!) Damn you Ironsword, it will it will!

it's great to see Deej back throwing testosterone challenges around!

I couldn't help myself, Mike. I can't just let my chiseled body go to waste -- I gotta put it to use laying down the law. :D

Deej my old buddy it's been too long since we rode together and I hope this season we'll once again find ourselves in battle over some of the majestic climbs Japan has to offer!

Indeed, it has been WAY too long since we've ridden together. I'd love to do a repeat of that ride you took me on in your neck of the woods, the one with your secret Wada and Yabitsu. Maybe we can hit that route later this month. I badly need to get some rides under my belt.

I will say for probably the 3rd time (it's gotta be lucky right?) Wada Toge will be mine! (sorry super human echothree, you're so fast I just ignore your Hall of Fame times!) Damn you Ironsword, it will it will!

I don't doubt it, man. That said, I plan to shave some time off my PB this spring, so you may have to make a few return trips.

If we are going to get some gambling involved in all of this, I reckon we should pull in other disciplines / suitable events to really see who is the king of the castle.

May I suggest some kind of ratio / sacrifice contest;

-Most number of Chu-Hi Strong consumed : Distance the next day ridden

-Cheapest bike : Highest average speed

-Most important event abandoned to go on a ride

etc.

Deej, it'd be an honour to take you over my hallowed turf again! I'm on spring break and will need to get some hours in riding, but come the end of March I should be riding with some fitness again. I've had 3 months off the bike but have been hitting the gym big time and have put on some extra kilos....both muscle and fat:(

Deej, it'd be an honour to take you over my hallowed turf again! I'm on spring break and will need to get some hours in riding, but come the end of March I should be riding with some fitness again. I've had 3 months off the bike but have been hitting the gym big time and have put on some extra kilos....both muscle and fat:(

Cool. Let's try to put something together one of these weekends. I hear you about the gym. I, too, have been hitting it pretty hard, and consequently weigh 5kg more than I did this time last year. Now I'm 80kg even. That probably will not translate too well in terms of climbing speed.

So here's my challenge to you. Go to the gym, hop on the Combi-brand PowerMax V-II machine (there are two -- take your pick), and program the computer to do 3 two-minute intervals, with two-minute breaks in-between intervals. Set the resistance at 3.5. And if you are feeling dangerous, set the cadence at 110 rpm. If you fall below 110 at any time during the intervals, the machine will start beeping, which can get annoying very quickly. So after you've input all the data, the screen should look like this:

Deej, 2 things to consider. If the challenge is to output max power for the intervals you mention then having to ride at a fixed cadence favours those people who are most efficient at putting out power at the required cadence. For instance, today was my highest interval yet (ranging from 292.5 W to 299.5W...if I include drivetrain inefficiency!...average for 15 1/2 mins) but my cadence went from 58 at the start (kicked off on the big chainring to a max of 84 for an average of 74. So if I had to ride at 110 I would fall apart.

Secondly, why 3 x 2min with a 1:1 recovery? If you aim to race Malte up any hill, what relevance is that to hill climbing? I`ll quote you this from Andy Coggan himself. See point 5.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65705&st=0&p=933428&#entry933428
1. The training levels are descriptive, not prescriptive.

2. Alls you can do is alls you can do.

3. If your anaerobic capacity or VO2max are high relative to your functional threshold power (e.g., my wife), then "alls you can do" during level 5 intervals will tend to be more than someone who has a lower anaerobic anaerobic capacity and/or VO2max relative their functional threshold power.

4. If there is such a thing as a "no man's land" in terms of training intensities, then I would consider ~106% to ~110% of it to be it (well, one). Generally speaking, that's too hard to go long enough to really target lactate threshold, but too easy to really target VO2max. My training levels are contiguous, though, just because that's the way I roll...

5. As an aside: if there is another "no man's land", I'd put it at whatever intensity you can maintain for ~2 to ~3 min. Unless you really kill it just a couple of times, it is hard to go hard enough to really stress anaerobic capacity, yet such intervals are too short to really put adequate emphasis on VO2max (unless you use really short rest intervals, of course)

400 Watt for 2min is what it takes (for 70-80kg guy) to sprint up the Tama hills, many people can do that :warau:.

Indeed at 80kg, 400W is 5w/kg. At 64kg I could easily sustain 5 w/kg (320W) for at least 3 or 4 x 3 min set. Again, if the aim is to race hills, it is W/kg that counts not overall wattage.

why 3 x 2min with a 1:1 recovery? If you aim to race Malte up any hill, what relevance is that to hill climbing? I`ll quote you this from Andy Coggan himself. See point 5.

Sikochi, I kind of had the feeling that you were gonna break out the calculator on this post. Thanks for dropping the mad science skillz and the Coggan references, but you are putting waaay too much thought into this.

This is not about hill climbs. This is not about ideal training methods. This is about "Hey, guys, here's what I can do. I'm wondering if you can, too."

How much do you deadlift?

Last time I wandered into a gym, last month, after a 3 year hiatus, I shifted 130kg after a very simple warm-up of only slightly lighter deadlifts.

Sikochi, I kind of had the feeling that you were gonna break out the calculator on this post. Thanks for dropping the mad science skillz and the Coggan references, but you are putting waaay too much thought into this.

This is not about hill climbs. This is not about ideal training methods. This is about "Hey, guys, here's what I can do. I'm wondering if you can, too."

I see my reputation precedes me ;) Then why not use the standard interval lengths in the power profile charts i.e 5 secs, 1 min, 5 min, 20 min (an addition!) and FTP? Click power profiling spreadsheet for link.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-profiling.aspx P.S. No-one ask me to quote my 5-second power, as useless at this!

I know it`s just a fun competition, my point about the relevance for cycling is based on the principle of specificity. Doing 3 x 2min on a 1:1 ratio on a bike in the gym at 110 cadence gets you good at doing...3 x 2min on a 1:1 ratio on a bike in the gym at 110 cadence. Hence, to challenge you, people will have to train this interval program on the bike in the gym at 110 cadence...which unless it meets the demands of their riding and riding style, would be inefficient training.

Back
Top Bottom