Can this be fixed? (Hole in tire)

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Ok so I was cleaning up the old girl the other night when I noticed this larger piece of metal sticking out of my rear tire, pulled it out and tested the tire and it seems that it's not a puncture.

I have 1,953 km in these and want to know if I can repair this hole.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
What kind of tire? Typically punctures through the treadzone are no big deal unless they've ripped alot of the casing. Just clean well with acetone and super glue it. You can also place a small patch on the back side for casing reinforcement if you like. For bigger gashes, I use ShoeGoo to repair the tread. You probably want to change the tube (or repair the tubular) if it is punc'd too.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
They are Mavic tubulars with Mavic tires, and it has not actually gone through the tire.

Can I use that tubular cement that you recommended? Toyo I believe is the brand.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
If it isn't losing air then it didn't pierce the casing and rupture the tube. So you can just clean it out and then use some super glue. Or a dab of shoegoo - but it doesn't look so big for that. Glue is for repairing the base tape or placing an inner boot patch. yes, I recommend the SOYO glue. It dries relatively quick and remains supple for a long time. Also easier to clean off than the Vittoria Mastik.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
If it isn't losing air then it didn't pierce the casing and rupture the tube. So you can just clean it out and then use some super glue. Or a dab of shoegoo - but it doesn't look so big for that. Glue is for repairing the base tape or placing an inner boot patch. yes, I recommend the SOYO glue. It dries relatively quick and remains supple for a long time. Also easier to clean off than the Vittoria Mastik.
Cheers Tim!