What's new

Help Campy Shifter Repair?

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Hi everyone! Just a quick question: Does anyone know where I can get a Campagnolo shifter repaired/cleaned?

I purchased a used pair of Record 10-speed shifters (circa 2000) a few months ago and am building up a bike with them. The left shifter isn't functioning as well as it could and I'd like to get it looked at. I know there are videos on how to take the shifter apart, etc., and I have watched them, but I'd really rather take it to someone who knows what they are doing and what problems to look for.

The Positivo shop offers this service, but they are closed for a few days for a cycling event. Does anyone know of any other shops or individuals who work with used shifters?

Thank you!

Deej

(By the way, the headset question I posed here a couple months back has been answered. I ordered the model that Owen suggested after he kindly contacted Wilier, and it fits perfectly. So thank you!)

Sagami Cycles or PM Tomity!

Seriously the Campy stuff is relatively easy to service, give it a go and if it still is no better pay some money.

Thank you James! I've dropped Tomity a line and will see if he's willing to help.

Cheers, Simon. You're right, of course. It really is in my best interests if I do the work myself. As massively powerful as I am on the bike, I lack confidence in such matters. ;)

Actually, I've tried quite hard to remove the pin so I can get to the innards, but the thing will barely budge. In the process, I've scratched the carbon lever, which is classic, impatient Deej. So I'm thinking that this time around, I'll leave it to the pros. But, yeah, this is stuff I should be doing myself. If you pop down to Tokyo and feel like giving it a shot, beers are on me!

Actually, I've tried quite hard to remove the pin so I can get to the innards, but the thing will barely budge. In the process, I've scratched the carbon lever, which is classic, impatient Deej. So I'm thinking that this time around, I'll leave it to the pros. But, yeah, this is stuff I should be doing myself. If you pop down to Tokyo and feel like giving it a shot, beers are on me!
Train ticket instead of beer and I'm yours, but yeah if you feel like you need to force it then stop and rethink the process. Are you using some kind of reference to guide you?

I've also found that using "Shizer loads" of Brakeleen on shifters (both moving parts and the cable channels) can solve 99% of problems - just be sure to regrease after....... also I put parts in the dish washer as well. :D

Yeah - I agree with FE on this. As a Campy rider I can also concure. Unless you've crashed it - it's probably just gummed up. BrakeKleen and a little light oil and should be all fine. If you've broken some bit - Campy does have replacements for everything in the shifter (unlike Shimano), HOWEVER good luck getting them! Which shifters do you have, BTW?

Oh yeah, though , be careful about <which> Brakekleen you use - cause , idiot that I am used the real stuff before and it promptly melted the clear coat! So - stick with the environmental version and / or acetone. As all things Italian - the engineering aspects are amazing, but the finish properties are on par with the Chinese, if that. Paint and other stuff is just an after topic of production.

James, Tim: Yeah, my sense is that the old bugger is just gummed up. I may just ask my LBS to remove the pin for me -- I can't get the recalcitrant little mofo to budge -- and have at it with Brakleen (love that name).

Tim, cheers for the heads-up about the dangers of extra-strength Brakleen. I'll be sure to heed your advice.

The shifters are Record 10-speed Carbon BB System, circa early-2000s.

Simon -- Sorry, I can only afford the beer. But next time you're in town, drop me a line and beers are on me, shifter repair or no.

Back
Top Bottom