What's new

Campy maintenance in Japan?

RJMang

Cruising
Jul 19, 2013
In a few weeks I start my solo tour cycling the length of Japan. My touring bike is a Litespeed with a Campy Record 10 group. While I'm not expecting any major maintenance issues, one never knows. I keep hearing how "no one in Japan works on Campy", and if I have a problem, I'm screwed. Is this true? Do people ride Campy there? Are the shops somewhat familiar with it? Are replacement parts available?

Thanks....

RJ

I've never personally tried having campy stuff serviced here (I don't ride it), but I see any number of bikes with campy parts/groupsets. It shouldn't be a problem, perhaps unless you are truly in the sticks. I know 5 shops here in Kanazawa where you would have no worries at all. (And one of them is a small chain that has 5-6 shops in towns north and south of here.)

RJ, yeah this is the land of Shimano but Campy is also a well respected brand so to answer your questions
Is this true? No Do people ride Campy there? Yes Are the shops somewhat familiar with it? Yes Are replacement parts available? Yes.
Relax and have a great trip.

Plenty of stores, sell, maintain, service Campy parts here in Japan and do an impeccable job - so not sure where you heard otherwise. However just like any other country a local bike store that caters for mamachari (Shopping bikes) will not have parts or experience with the products, you it might be a struggle to find a high end retailer – same with riders looking for high end Shimano parts really.

Campy is a no brainer:

1) It rarely if ever breaks.
2) Main distributor is Kawashima and they distribute through many dealers in Japan.
3) Parts are not an issue.

Will you be swinging by Aomori? Let me know, I'll buy you a beer and ride a few miles with you.

Better not to spell out your email address directly in public postings (unless you want spam bots to find it and "subscribe" you to all kinds of mails). Better use something like "somebody at example dot com".

Yes I will. I arrive in Aomori on August 24, and it my intent to have a "rest" day there, leaving on the 26th. I can be reached at [email protected].
Are you coming by ferry or train and what is your route through the coolest prefecture in Japan? I might be up for a lazy ride around then but kids have soccer in Rokkasho . Would offer a sofa but have visitors that weekend.

kiwisimon, I received a good suggestion from joewein about not putting my email address. Can you delete your reply with my quote? Thanks. I'm taking the ferry from Hokkaido.

Ferry to Aomori city, Hachinohe city or Oma town? Oma is the closest and will put you on the pacific coast. Aomori is good for down the centre of the island and Sea of Japan coast. Hachinohe, same as Oma minus a days riding. But Hachinohe is accessible by ferry only from Tomokomae.

I'm coming from Hakodateko. I was planning to go to Aomori city. My next stop from Aomori is Lake Towadako, so I'm heading straight south, right down the middle for a few days.

That's a good climb both into and out Of the lake but from then on its pretty much all downhill to Sendai, another climb out of Sendai and its all downhill to Tokyo. I'm in Hachinohe so won't be able to ride with you this time through but you have my phone number in PM, call if you need help. Good luck and please post about your journey.

Bad timing, I'm going to Tokyo from the 18th returning late the 25th.

Which way are you going to Towada lake? I can give you some route pointers and places to stop at.

If you head up the Towada mountain way you could hit the statue commemorating the death of 199 out of 210 Imperial Japanese Army unit back in 1902, bring it around for a dip in Tsukayu onsen, a climb around, past Yachi onsen, turn towards the beginning of the gore past Tsuta onsen, and climb to the lake and into a very nice campground. The small village by the lake has some nice food and beer. From there I would take 103 and then 341 down to Tazawa lake.

One of the most glorious routes go from Ichinoseki, the former seat of power of the Fujisawa clan (I know, that was a big jump) going up to kurikoma mountain and the onsen at the top, dropping down the other side towards Naruko onsen town, before navigating winding roads towards Obanazawa and the best melons in the world. Don't stop until you hit the onsens at the former silver mines. On the way out grab enough melons to make it to the yamadera temples and on into Sendai and matsushima bay.
I'm in Misawa. If you end up hanging out a bit longer or need an assist let me know.

Back
Top Bottom