What's new

Pizza Ride Campout Kuronoda Rindo Hut 7/27

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Not a hundred percent sure if this will really be happening, but since I have the time to ride and a new hammock to try out, I plan spend Saturday night at the Kuronada Observation deck.
黒野田林道展望台
〒402-0045 山梨県都留市大幡

Just reply or send me a PM if interested to join!
It's smallish gravel at the site with plenty of stuff to tie down a tent if necessary. If there is firm commitment I might schlepp my old hammock as a courtesy (and with the goal to sell it)

I will arrive there not before 9pm coming via rt35 from Tokyo, but there is a roof and seats and it should be just the right temperature. I'm not self-sufficient so will supply for night and morning at a combini in the valley below. The rindo starts another 50m up the road and should still be closed to cars because of a mudslide, so I don't expect combustion engine company. Just a coolish night and awesome scenery sunrise. Probably will take on the rindo and Matsushime Toge early the next morning, but nothing set in stone yet.

That looks awesome!
would love to join but have this damn throat issue bugging me... who knows, I might show up unannounced
what hammock are you looking to sell btw?

Sounds like a great route! Hmm... It looks like it's gonna rain Saturday + Sunday. My bivy's still back in the states until September-ish, though I have my sleeping bag and a ground sheet with me. So if there's room under that observation deck for rain cover, I'm interested. Otherwise, I'll pass until the era of Rainwa is over or my bivy gets here.

Curious, are you planning on cycling up rt35 in the dark for a 9pm arrival, or driving?

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I should be able to do a final call tomorrow noon if this is happening, right now I would cancel. I figure the forecast will change after tonight's heavy rain is over. I'll post my decision here.
I would indeed be cycling up Rt35 in the dark, at least then the temperature should be bearable. One concern is if the hut's roof is really rainproof or leaking. If i go and there is still a chance of rain at rain, I would take a tarp just in case.

Yeah... weather's looking pretty foul for Sunday AM, so I think I'll take a pass this time. Thanks for posting though

Changed my mind again. This is a go.
Don't won't to miss the opportunity even if I'm hit by some showers on the way out.
Latest forecast shows no rain from tmrw morning... leaving now

If it hadn't been for the last climb, I'd have gotten there more or less dry. While riding I saw three different fireworks and two matsuri. On rt35 the moonlight was bright enough to turn of my front light. Mesmerizing.
Made an error of judgement with the hut being only 10k from the closest conbini, which turned out to be a gruesome climb, especially with extra supplies. Coming down the other way, I certainly didn't remember it as such. There is a Sagawa delivery center about 4km from the destination with a couple of cheap vending machines.

But the roof didn't leak and it was just warm enough. Temperature was forecast with a low at 19°, but apart from a couple of gusts, I got lucky with the wind direction - it is pretty much sheltered from the West.
Coverage from the roof is actually quite large, but of course there are some bugs living there. There is a small wooden pedestal where one could set up a ground sheet. Probably two small for a two person tent though.

The views from the higher vantage point of a hammock are most phenomenal. There is no noise except the sound of nature and with the actual rindo still gated, there was nobody coming through while I was there.

I might be back, but would aim for an earlier arrival.

Sounds wonderful. I want to steal this trip. Where did you learn about the observation deck...?

Worked out pretty nicely, although if the wind direction would have been different, I would have needed to bail because of lacking insulation in the middle of the rain/night. I had scouted some suitable roofed escape spots in the vacation village down the mountain coming up for that case.

Just go for it. I will post again, but rarely have time to do these adventures.

I don't have my camping stuff here at the moment, but I intend to remedy that - maybe next time! Well done for doing this, looks like an amazing spot.

Back
Top Bottom