Campagnolo

TrekJapan

Warming-Up
Jan 15, 2011
Japan
The following upgraded components are what I switched to in my drive train. Campagnolo; Comp-Triple 10sp rear derail, SGS long cage, Comp Triple 10-Speed Road Bicycle Front Derailleur, 11 Record Dual Pivot Skeleton Road Bicycle Brakes, 10 Record 10-Speed Steel/Titanium Road Cassette, Record Chain Ultra Narrow 10 Speed, Record 10s QS Ergo Shifters '08, Veloce Alloy Triple Crankset, Veloce BB triple, rear wheel/hub Campy, front wheel Bontrager. I have a Trek 2011 1.5 - I prefer aluminum frames, Sorry to those... Most higher frames are carbon fiber, however, I prefer Alpha. What is next for my bike? Kamakura, Japan.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Campy record and all that stuff on aluminum? Hmm...

Are you polishing cow patties or what? :rolleyes: :)

John D.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi

John D.
Now you mention it, I love to polish my CAAD 9 so I can see the reflections of the expressions on the faces of the people on their shiny plastic bikes as I blow past them :p

Btw, my aluminium steed is looking forward to its Ui2 (due July apparently), Enve fork and power meter...that`s if I can ever sneak them past the wife. :angel:

TrekJapan

Warming-Up
Jan 15, 2011
Japan
Campagnolo II

jdd...
I was expecting posts concerning my components, & Alpha - thanks-! :) No worries though...

However, aluminum is what I prefer. i.e. Trek/Carrera bikes. Carbon Fiber is a trend I think, Sikochi is right - Plastic. A stiffer & tight Alpha riding frame will return & have longevity. :) :cool:

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
jdd...
I was expecting posts concerning my components, & Alpha - thanks-! :) No worries though...

However, aluminum is what I prefer. i.e. Trek/Carrera bikes. Carbon Fiber is a trend I think, Sikochi is right - Plastic. A stiffer & tight Alpha riding frame will return & have longevity. :) :cool:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2626&page=2

Sorry, I considered offering some similar lack-of-money comments here, but somehow opted for the cheap cow flop comment instead. My apologies.

Also, I have a few extra guitars, if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.
--santa cruz FS
--breedlove c25w
--taylor k14c
PM me if interested.

John D.

TrekJapan

Warming-Up
Jan 15, 2011
Japan
My drive train upgraded

jdd,
Again - no worries, I hope for a Alpha frame Carrera in the future along w/ my Trek. :bike:

FarEast . upgraded components on my bike was basically what this thread is... just info... thank you :)

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
I have always used Campy since back in the 1980's. Never got into shimano due to it's plasticy feel and light airy shifting. I am now pretty much sold on SRAM as a counterchoice to Campy. Frame material wise it's all a matter of personal choice. I ride a MMC track frame, Carbon MTB, Steel Roadie and Titanium everyday ride that switches between SS roadie and SS crosser. Trekjapan, how about some pictures?

Oct 15, 2010
Skeleton Brake Versions

Other than the price, I was wondering what was different between the 11 Record Dual Pivot Skeleton Road Bicycle Brakes and the Veloce version. I have the Veloce version on my bike, but don't really see how they could make them better and the pictures look the same when I went to check it out.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi

John D.
Apologies JDD: forgot you had an aluminium bike so mistook the tone of your post. I`m sure in due course I will buy a carbon fibre bike but until they start building them with durability in mind, I have no interest. Plus, I object to the obscene mark-up they are sold for. The idea is for this bike to last 10 years, and then see what condition it is in. I have much more confidence in my aluminium bike achieving this than I would with a carbon fibre one.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
No worries. I wasn't being completely serious--was hoping that the smileys would show that!

trekjapan--my alu bike is down a ways: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2523
Might get a shot up of my plastic one later.

And I've been daydreaming lately about replacing the cannondale with a true tourer. Maybe a surly LHT, or a ridgeback panorama.

Or maybe having one of those copied in titanium...? :) (e.g., sabbath silk route)

John D.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
I`m sure in due course I will buy a carbon fibre bike but until they start building them with durability in mind, I have no interest.
I raced the 5 day Tour of Cameroon on a carbon bike, the roads there make the spring classics look like a velodrome..... carbon unless you decide to wrap it round a car, lamp post or dog (Stage 3 of the Tour involved a collision with a dog) then you've got nothing to worry about.

As for the cost.... many, many , many different avenues to take so you're not paying for just a name!