What's new

Camp/Riding/Family weekend

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
As all guys with families know cycling has a habit of encroaching into the weekend when there are plenty of other demands on time.

I love camping so I want to see if there is any interest in doing a weekend camp out in the hills like the lakes around Fuji. Say mid next month... May 20th

Schedule could be somehting like this.

Arrive friday night

Sat
Up for an early jaunt up Fuji.
Back for lunch,
Maybe a few laps of the lake in the afternoon.
Onsen
Evening BBQ and talking .

Sun
Early morning jaunt for a few hours,
Back to pack up and lunch it up somewhere.

Home

Anyway no definites, still got to confirm with the wife just seeing if there is any interest out there in this kind of thing for you guys with families (Or without!)

Post up if you are interested and let's see if we can make it happen!

Blob,

I think we would all like to combine a bit of cycling with a bit of camping and a bit of drinking with a bit more cycling thrown in for good measure.

I would love to join you,but unfortunately I don't have a car nor a desire to own one.

This Golden Week,my family(wife and 12-year-old daughter)will be roughing it by going on a short tour of the Edo and Tone rivers.
We'll be wild camping but will be taking all of the important kit with us.
The wife only agreed because I said she and the daughter could take a Sento wherever and whenever we find one!
I'm looking forward to it and I think they are as well!

I hope your trip works out for you.

I did some camping last year and have all the gear so I will be going. I was hoping for a few others that way our other halfs could keep each other amused and not notice the lads were out riding ha ha ha!!:warau::warau:

I think it is a great concept -- cycling weekend getaway, friends, food and drinks, while providing a great outing for the family. However, since I don't have any camping gear in Japan and rely on public transportation, this would be a challenge. I would be keen to do a similar weekend getaway but take train out, stay in ryokan in an onsen town, etc... Maybe there is a place where the camping and trains/ryokans are in relatively close proximity to accommodate various modes of travel? Just a thought.

I do this every year with my family - they drive out while I ride out and back.

We have an annual spot at Ashigawa in Yamanashi - It's a 140km ride out there from Yokohama that takes you out along route 20 up and over Sasago Toge and then the long killer climb up and over Shirotake Yama.

Normally the wife has the BBQ fired up and the cold beers read - last year it was incrediblly hot and I just rode straight in to the river at the camp site - bliss!

TOM G

A lot of camping places have cabins available so all you would have to bring would be your personals.

James that sounds nice. Post up if it is open to others to join. I would like to get away once a month this year.

That is about what I managed last year for summer camping.

:D:D Looking forward to it!

tB, I'd be up for something as well. No kids, but will lug around a couple of small dogs. I'm not sure how much I can get away with abandoning camp to go cycling, but if there are other things to do than probably not an issue. Someplace with a lake would be cool, but the only spot I've really used like that is quite a bit up north around Urabandai.

Just have to find a good weekend for it now....

Dude, it's all about timing and distraction! the more ladies there are around to chat, the less our individual ladies will notice the trip to the conbini to get the butter is taking 3 hours:cool::cool:

I've seen a couple of camp ground signs heading towards Yamanakako on R413. There must be a few around the five lake area near Fuji.

I have stayed at a small campground at Saiko before and recommend it. It was near the water and there was an onsen right next door. Interested in getting more details of what gets planned.

Back
Top Bottom