What's new

Ride Camp Pain - Azami

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Well, I guess I need some redemption. So - tomorrow (Sat) I'll be riding out the <un>official Wuling KOM training ride from Yanokuchi. Route is simple - Yanokuchi -> Takao -> Dochi -> Azami -> Summit -> Gotemba -> Home. Tis is a suffering bastard of a ride. I plan only 3 stops (Takao for refuel) , top of Dochi (refuel) and something at the Azami summit.

Start Time Yanokuchi - 0700. (easy transit to Takao)
Start Time Takao - 0900.

Sounds like a good ride. When you say the summit, do you mean 3776? Or the 5th station?

@leicaman - I don't have time to do the full mountain climb as well - so just the cycling section to 5th station.

@leicaman - not really. To climb Fujisan once is honorable, more than that ... well.. It was a good ride and I stuck pretty much to my goals which were minimal stops (once at Takao to fuel up) and another at Doshi (refuel). Traffic was awful on the 20 , then clear on Doshi. Beautiful weather. Going up Azami was fine except for the hordes of cars, buses and motorcylists - hard to stay 'on the stem' without worrying about collision avoidance. Nice ramen at the top, then back down (again avoiding traffic) to Gotemba. I'd say this is a 'keeper' as far as a quality training ride goes. Along with the Boob ride and Otsuki 4.5 it makes up a good distance with relevant challenge.

To climb Fujisan once is honorable, more than that ... well..

As a twice-climber myself, I beg to disagree. There's more to it than just crowds of hikers, sardine-can like accommodation in the mountain huts, overpriced water and ramen.

If you're lucky with the weather, Fuji offers great views. It may not be technically difficult, but it's a pretty good length hike and both the thin air and cold can make it a challenge. I intend to go for it at least a third time.

Anyway - I had no plans (or gear) to do the hiking portion. I just find no pleasure in it at all. Like you said - fighting crowds, over developed kitschy trails, touts and finally at the top it's cold and then scramble back down on the broken lava surface. The only part of this ride I'd change is a much earlier start to avoid some of the traffic . And perhaps mid-week to avoid the traffic on Azami line.

Even if you didn't dislike Fuji hikes, I wouldn't particularly recommend combining the bike ride and hiking, since you need a fair amount of gear to be safe on a hike, such as rain gear, boots, water, etc. which isn't exactly convenient to carry on a bike, especially on a super steep access road such as Azami. Besides, the July-Agust official climbing season has ended. Most huts beyond the 5th stage will have shut down for the winter weeks ago. That means no place to find water or shelter in bad weather.

What's the event like that you were training for with this ride, Tim?

Even if you didn't dislike Fuji hikes, I wouldn't particularly recommend combining the bike ride and hiking, since you need a fair amount of gear to be safe on a hike, such aI s rain gear, boots, water, etc. which isn't exactly convenient to carry on a bike, especially on a super steep access road such as Azami. Besides, the July-Agust official climbing season has ended. Most huts beyond the 5th stage will have shut down for the winter weeks ago. That means no place to find water or shelter in bad weather.

What's the event like that you were training for with this ride, Tim?
I did the ride and hike to the summit back in July. The climb was pretty awful, mainly due to having to carry all my hiking stuff up there on my back. I got terrible lower back pain on the ride which I attribute to having a heavy weight on my back while climbing that beast. We decided to travel light so the hike to the top wasn't too long. Certainly worth the extra effort but I can see why some wouldn't want to do it if they have already climbed Fuji.

Multiple cyclists. One friend with a car, motorbike or (ideally) van carrying the transition kit. Sorted.

Multiple cyclists. One friend with a car, motorbike or (ideally) van carrying the transition kit. Sorted.
Not AT&T he time of year I did it. Cars aren't allowed at that time. Only buses and taxis. Plus, finding a jolly nice chap to drive all the way out to Fuji just so their friends can ride up to the fifth station, might be a little tough. I know where it tell someone to go if they asked me to do that ;)

Back
Top Bottom