What's new

Help Cable mount problem

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Thank you all for more comments and suggestions.
Is there gear on the front? my guess is that it is not from the handlebars turning but from moving the cables out of the way with gear. I would recommend cabling the bike with the gear on it to get a good idea of how long or short it needs to be.
Yes I will do that.
Be sure to get new pads on those brakes and carry an extra pair. Magura is not exactly a house brand at most LBS in US. Also replace the hose on the front brake.
Yes I will. She has lots of spare pads.
If she can set of with a new cassette and chain.
Belt drive.
Also if she doesn't know about SMFR she should. This will allow her to get her muscles back to their normal length after every ride.
This is one of the things we talked about. She said she knew she should stretch, but didn't do so very much. Now she is paying for it, literally, with sessions at Tokyo Physio; "Wobbly shoulder, wonky pelvis, creaky back & concrete quads". She's already cycled from France to here! I will direct her to the resources you suggest. Her next stage is to row across the Pacific Ocean in a 7m rowing boat.
Well spotted.
I bet you a keg of Stu's beer that you'll find 700C written on her tires
No deal. Sorry.
for icy conditions and being that weight isn't her main concern check out these, I was, just last week.
http://www.do-blog.jp/jitensyahonpo/article/1331
I was hoping you would know something about such tires. Just need to ascertain whether they will fit through the fork and not hit the brakes.
I wonder whether they made the cables too short when installing the parts, or the front handle bar bag is creating funky angles that cables don't like?
Yes Chuck said the same thing above. I will check this very carefully when we do the refit. Thank you!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
28 <should be> same as 700c except when it's Chinese (I know about that).

I am totally in the generic zip tie camp. Get a piece of rubber and use it to shield the cables then zip tie them to the tube. DONE!

Chafing of cables over long hauls is a pain in the you know what. It's amazing how fast the housing will wear through, water seep in, rust, then , blamm! not shifting or broken cable.

Simpler the better. Technology does not always make things better. Cable systems over hydraulic are easier to service and jury rig. With that being said - there are good reasons to use canti or rim brakes over discs just because they are simple. However - long descents in the rain and crap conditions with 50kg of gear, and discs would be soooo welcome!

Back in the day the only way you could get something shipped out to you was have it sent to a nearest post office drop and could take weeks. Now we have EMS, FEDEX, etc. Plus the friggin internet and SMS. Try sending a POST CARD sometime and waiting 16 weeks for a part! Some gypsies stole the brakes off my bike on a freighter around the Peloponnese and I had to wait until I was back in Europe to find another set. So, rode for like 1000km with a crap mama-chari Dia Compe.

Knoor Soup Mix rocks. That plus Nutella can turn anything into a tasty meal.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
I can get you Innova Snow Dogs (700x38) or 26x1.9 for 4000 yen, btw - studded and lugged for your winter cycling fun! They are similar to the Hakkapalitta but about half the price! I'll be riding these on my fixed gear when I go to Aomori for NY.

Another option for icing conditions is to just take a razor and 'sipe' or cut small slices in your tire. This works pretty good. I did this to my Open Paves for the Nairiki HC which typically has moss on the road. That plus a little bleach on the rubber to soften it, will give you pretty decent traction over slippy sections.

While I'm on a 'slippy topic' - you can also wrap cord or string around your tire to increase the traction. This is nice because you can also UNWRAP it when you're off the snow section. It's kind of like snow 'chains' for bike tires.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Hercule's current tires are Deming Crostreet 700 - 700 x 35c / 28 x 1⅝ x 1⅜.

So I guess that means that a 35mm snow tire would certainly fit.

Specs for the Travelmaster 2.8 suggest that tire widths up to 42mm are OK.

Simon - do you know whether any of the snow tires are folding/packable, or are they all wire beaded like the Snow Dogs Tim suggested?

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
My old panaracer tires were kevlar beaded. Not made anymore, they were great but only 26".
Some of the lower pin count are foldable, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro is a blocky high pin count 700C tire but in Japan?
I would however recommend maximum pin count and as blocky a tread pattern as possible cause on ungraded or ploughed roads a smoother faster running tire wont grip. Better to be over treaded than the other. Check here for a primer http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
Sponsor

You should contact the frame sponsor and ask them. They may have some ideas and it will be best to keep them in line with any modifications. If they provided any support that should have been the first communication, although we love a good maintinence help thread! Just sayin:angel:

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
You should contact the frame sponsor and ask them. They may have some ideas and it will be best to keep them in line with any modifications. If they provided any support that should have been the first communication, although we love a good maintinence help thread! Just sayin:angel:
Good point. In fact we did. Their best response so far: we'll send new cables out.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
The hands down best winter tires are Nokian. Hakkapilita , baby! http://www.suomityres.fi/winter.html

Some MTB studded tires are foldable - but I don't know any 28" (700c) that are. I think I used to have some Michelin CX that were studded - but it's been too long ago to remember exactly.

Top Bottom