What's new

Help Buying a Roadbike in Japan/Tokyo

max

Cruising
Nov 9, 2014
Hi all, I'm from the US and want to buy a road bike in Tokyo. Is there a website or directory I can use to research what kind of brands/models a bike shop would carry and find information like store location, etc?

Anything else I should be aware of as a first time bike purchaser in Japan that would be different from the states?

... The biggest point: do not expect to see large size frames. If you are tall, your choices will be very limited. (but in that case you can always order from abroad online if you know what you are doing).

If you let us know your budget, what part of town you live in, type of riding you expect to do, and whether you can fit the standard Japanese sizes or need a larger frame, etc., I am sure you will get plenty of advice.

Hi guys, sorry for such a vague intro.

The overarching approach is that I'm looking to see where you guys are going and where you had good experiences. I like supporting local bike shops run by people passionate about the sport. The following is the type of bike I'm looking for and if I could narrow down 1~3 shops based on your recommendations I would be ecstatic.

1) I fit a standard "S" frame (520mm±10mm TT). Size should be a non-issue.
2) Budget is $4000±$1k
3) Looking for a French or Italian road bike brands like Time, Look, Bianchi, Pinarello. Ridley Noah or RS would be fine too, but no cyclocross bikes. A Merida could do as well. Not interested in US brands.
4) Looking for a bike shop capable of ordering and servicing Campy. Not sure if this is a big deal in Japan, but I find not all shops do this in the US.
5) I'm willing to travel to any of the 23 wards of Tokyo and even as far as Yokohama for a reputable bike shop. Being close to my LBS is not a requirement.
6) Type of riding is all-rounder/climbing. I don't like gravel. You can probably tell from the brands I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Max

@theBlob Off topic, but: Are they the lads whose Sunday group rides we often pass at Peek Pace on the way out to the mountains?
If they are wearing blue jerseys then yes.
Not to be confused with the guy I follow on Strava called Kaneko (think his first name is Sohei). I don't think he has anything to do with the shop. You certainly wouldn't be passing him. That boy can fly ;)

Back
Top Bottom