What's new

Help buying a bike from OS

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I'm thinking about getting the 2014 Scott addict (Frame only). The local price seems unwieldy, and if my experience is anything to go by I can undoubtably find it cheaper from an OS supplier.

Does anyone have any input to buying a bike from an OS vendor Preferably US as the EU is also rather unwieldy. Ie

1) Do I need to factor in TAX? from customs?
2) Can you point me to a good vendor who you have bought stuff from before?
3) What sort of cost is bike shipping from the US?

Thanks

Assuming you buy it before April, then it will change to 8% of the 60% .. or so they say.

Regarding 1): Yes, you do have to pay taxes. You will be charged 5% of 60% of the total of (invoice price + insurance + shipping), if the 60% exceeds 10,000 yen:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/importing-a-bike-to-japan.3070/#post-39507

So effectively, expect to pay 3% more than the frame plus shipping and insurance.
This makes me very happy. I ordered a new shiny bike last night from Germany. It will hopefully be delivered in a week or two and I was dreading getting the import duty bill. I was expecting to pay 40 or 50,000 yen but working it out from this, it won't be anywhere near as expensive. It's gonna be one hell of a spring and summer.

All those BS numbers...

If you already have a relationship (a purchase) with a shop here, you might get by with a little more than if you didn't.

Maybe you could buy a frame/fork abroad and have them build it from there. I think you'd have great luck with this, service-wise.

But, while you might have a great experience buying overseas, if you can't service it yourself, or have problems you cannot solve yourself (without recourse to those overseas merchants), then good luck.

Focus? Do tell?

This makes me very happy. I ordered a new shiny bike last night from Germany. It will hopefully be delivered in a week or two and I was dreading getting the import duty bill. I was expecting to pay 40 or 50,000 yen but working it out from this, it won't be anywhere near as expensive. It's gonna be one hell of a spring and summer.

Haha, those stupid idiots. Little do they know that when they are tucked up asleep in their cosy beds, I will be out causing mayhem and destruction with my magical moon on a stick.

I think you are in the wrong imaginary childrens world, Grotbags, and further to that, have also pulled in an obscure reference to a mid-90s alterntive comedy duo who themselves purposefully confused something to do with the childrens TV show you are from. You silly!

I was going to ask you the same thing. It appears to be some kind of cycling website, but it is hard to tell with all this nonsense going on.

They seem to argue a lot. I don't like it. It scares me.

Can we go and find Rod, Jane and Freddy?

EPIC! Rainbow descends on the TCC.

For a second there I had to check to make sure I hadn't accidentally put Redbull in my coffee again.

Back
Top Bottom