What's new

Budou-toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
I'll be spending the better part of a week out in Nagano next month and most likely will be cycling out through Chichibu, Route #299, and Mugikusa-toge. I may try to cycle back as well and may alter the route slightly.

In that vain, is anyone familiar with Budou-toge? Has anyone ridden or can anyone tell me about this stretch of road? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1689206

I'll be spending the better part of a week out in Nagano next month and most likely will be cycling out through Chichibu, Route #299, and Mugikusa-toge. I may try to cycle back as well and may alter the route slightly.

In that vain, is anyone familiar with Budou-toge? Has anyone ridden or can anyone tell me about this stretch of road? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1689206

Yes, I have been there last November (see here) climbing from the West (so same as your plan, right). The West side was in good condition. The descend on the east side was a bit bumpy for high speed decent but not too bad. ... and literally no cars.

You can research those area in STRAVA with the Segment Explorer :eek:. Then you see for example that Tom has climbed from the east.

Yes, I have been there last November (see here) climbing from the West (so same as your plan, right). The West side was in good condition. The descend on the east side was a bit bumpy for high speed decent but not too bad. ... and literally no cars.

You can research those area in STRAVA with the Segment Explorer :eek:. Then you see for example that Tom has climbed from the east.

Thank you for the first hand report, Malte. How do you think descending the west side would be? Is the road condition better than the east, or are they about the same?

HTFU Pete!

Col_de_la_Croix_de_Fer_Vintage_Shot.jpg

Thank you for the first hand report, Malte. How do you think descending the west side would be? Is the road condition better than the east, or are they about the same?

West Side was in perfect condition, east side is maybe not perfect (but not so much to worry about).

Budo-toge is a typical mountain pass - going through relatively dense forest areas first and then opening up near the summit. I rode this one with Ludwig last year and I remember a big yellow dog almost wolf-like kept running ahead of us a couple kilometers with no side tracks to escape (ravine on the left - concrete slope on the right) all the way to the top. The downhill part is much more curvier with narrow hairpins - not fast at all - and takes you to Koumi and Matsubara-ko (a little lake where we stayed overnight). As Malte noted, no cars! On somebody's blog a few weeks ago, I read that jikkoku十石-toge is closed due to recent landslides which would mean Budo-toge is your only gateway into Nagano if you're along 299. Are you planning to go solo Pete?

Are you planning to go solo Pete?

I would certainly welcome a riding buddy, but at this point, I don't have anyone committed to it. Thank you for all the other info. I'll definitely check on Jikkoku-toge before I go. I'm planning on cycling out on October 13th if anyone is interested.

Just for reference, jikkoku toge (rt299) was great when I did it two years ago.

Hi Pete,
Budou-toge is open and the road condition is "normal". The Jukoku-toge is open too, however a section of 299 between Ueno-mura and a few kilometres before the pass is still closed due to a landslide. You can still reach Jukoku-toge via the road that takes you up to Budou pass. When you get off 299 going towards Budou, there will be a small forest road to the right about a kilometre or 2 up the road from 299.

Good luck

Just for reference, jikkoku toge (rt299) was great when I did it two years ago.

Thank you, sir!

Hi Pete,
Budou-toge is open and the road condition is "normal". The Jukoku-toge is open too, however a section of 299 between Ueno-mura and a few kilometres before the pass is still closed due to a landslide. You can still reach Jukoku-toge via the road that takes you up to Budou pass. When you get off 299 going towards Budou, there will be a small forest road to the right about a kilometre or 2 up the road from 299.

Good luck

OK yes, I see the small side road that rejoins #299. That looks interesting! Do you know if they are diverting cars through that road, or is it really quiet?

OK yes, I see the small side road that rejoins #299. That looks interesting! Do you know if they are diverting cars through that road, or is it really quiet?

It's a quiet, narrow and long road. There is a sign on Nagano side saying that vehicles under 5 ton only are allowed. Then again most of the traffic moving across either pass are tourists. It is about the same as 299 between Saitama and Gunma or even less. When I was there I hardly saw any cars, but it was a weekday. Anyway, the trucks and other business cars use route 254 through Shimonita.

Bart

It's a quiet, narrow and long road. There is a sign on Nagano side saying that vehicles under 5 ton only are allowed. Then again most of the traffic moving across either pass are tourists. It is about the same as 299 between Saitama and Gunma or even less. When I was there I hardly saw any cars, but it was a weekday. Anyway, the trucks and other business cars use route 254 through Shimonita.

Bart

Thanks mate!

Back
Top Bottom