What's new

Tech Brooks Saddle snapped rail

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
I have contacted Brooks in the UK but no reply in a week… apparently they sell spares though I think once the shipping is added on it might work out rather spendy.

Does anyone know if the rail could be welded?

Thanks

Maybe you can keep an eye out for a secondhand one of the same model with a poopy upper and just switch them over. Welding isn't going to work if the rail snapped in the center where the seat clamps (too much stress there). Pic?

Actually, this is an easy weld--just take it to a local shop (my car repair shop does this), what you need to ask is that they weld a 2x1 steel bar or plate above or below the break, and weld the two pieces to the bar--I had them do something similar to an aerobike that snapped off because I was pedaling/pulling too hard--they fixed it and it has been perfect ever since. I doubt getting an old seat and removing the steel frame will help, as these frames are riveted onto the leather. If all else fail, send me a note, I have an extra Brooks (B17) or two in nearly new condition I could probably sell you for about Y7,500 inclusive of shipping, if you are interested.

When rails snap on a Brooks it tends to be due to insufficient tension on the leather, which causes the rails to be stressed right at the edge of the clamps grabbing them from above and below to attach them to the seat post. Any welding to repair the crack must not obstruct these clamps. I don't see how that could easily be achieved by adding a steel plate above or below, especially as there's a bolt that pulls those two clamps together.

When rails snap on a Brooks it tends to be due to insufficient tension on the leather, which causes the rails to be stressed right at the edge of the clamps grabbing them from above and below to attach them to the seat post. Any welding to repair the crack must not obstruct these clamps. I don't see how that could easily be achieved by adding a steel plate above or below, especially as there's a bolt that pulls those two clamps together.
I didn't mean to suggest that a weld can handle all jobs, but nor should it be ruled out completely. You assume one kind of break, and thus one kind of explanation--whether that fits this case or not is impossible to say, and it in no negates my suggestion, as it is based on personal experience, and, well, it worked. Extreme downward force, such as incurred when riding an MTB down a steep and rocky slope, butt high in the air, and then smacked down on the seat, could easily supply enough force, irrespective of "leather tension"--so, if the break is along one of these rails, and as long as it isn't in an intrusive area, then possibly it I can be fixed by welding, BUT as noted above, if not, I do have a few extras (for the last 15-20 years or so, I have only used Brooks saddles on both my MTBs and Roadies, so I know them pretty well--and now must have close to 10 in the bike shed--at least 2 of which aren't on bikes, and thus available as necessary.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom