What's new

Help Brooks B17

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I am going to order a Brooks B17 for my Fargo, but I am not sure if I should get 'brown' or the Aged Tan... I really do not care about the color, but just wondering if people have an opinion on it.

It seems the aged version breaks in faster.

That's about all I have figured out.

Opinions?

Isn't it all about the chamfer? Iheard better to get one made on a Wednesday cause the chamfer was the cleanest cut then. Break in is best by using Menthol Burma Shave (NOS) and Safeway brown paper bag obtained from the Salt Lake City head location. Those are the ones that are 'acid free'.

I am going to order a Brooks B17 for my Fargo, but I am not sure if I should get 'brown' or the Aged Tan... I really do not care about the color, but just wondering if people have an opinion on it.

It seems the aged version breaks in faster.

That's about all I have figured out.

Opinions?

Safeway... I have not seen one of those since 'Gene Walters' bought out the last one in Virginia Beach in the early 80s.

Since you mentioned 'chamfer' - the Aged model has holes on the edge that you can tie to keep it from flaring out with age.

I have two blacks and a brown (can't remember if it's brown or honey). It does have more of a vintage look, but I doubt that break-in time depends on color.

The only thing I'd point out is that Brooks says that the B17 narrow (which I have) is one of their stiffest saddles (like the team pro, which I haven't tried). I'd agree with that in spades. The standard B17 I have was comfortable right off, and has only mellowed more.

The B17 "narrow" is still far stiffer than the Swift I have on my road bike (also an immediate nice fit). Light use over the last season of the B17 narrow, and I still wouldn't call it at all broken in.

That said, the B17 narrow is cheaper than other Brooks road saddles, while almost matching their dimensions.

~~~

Rather than color, go for one with the big copper rivets. Totally cool, but OTOH, it will attract attention.

I am avoiding the narrow no doubt.

not sure why I mentioned brown - except I should have said 'brown standard'

It was not the color that I read made the difference, but Aged vs Standard.

The B17 and B17 S Aged are the new versions of our flagship models. The B17 has been on the market for over 100 years, being featured in as early as the 1898 catalogue. Comfortable from day 1 thanks to the softer leather, the B17 and B17 S Aged are ideal for sports touring, trekking and atb use.
Per Brooks website.

I have the standard B17 Brown, and it was comfy from day one and gets more so all the time. The reason I bought the brown over the black (I don't think the aged brown was around then) was because I used to own a black B17 back in Canada in the late 1980's and on a hot day, or a wet day, if you were not wearing black cycling shorts, whatever you were wearing got stained black. I had it on a touring bicycle, so I was not wearing cycling shorts each day.

Best of luck!

This is the saddle I am leaning towards.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/BROOKS-ブルック...2Y/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1359365737&sr=8-50

I just don't know about the aged vs standard

I bought a standard brooks 1 week before moving to Japan, never mounted it - and then it lost in shipment to japan - quite disappointing.

So this will be my second time paying for it, but first time using it, so I hope to get the right one... no desire to buy a third for the same bike.

I have the B17 Standard in black and like jdd's and Stu's, mine was comfortable from day one. I really can't say I noticed any further improvement from riding it ~600 km per month for the rest of the year. Whatever break-in there would have been, it would have happened pretty quickly at my distances. So I don't really see the point of the aged version.

I never had any stain problems with the Brooks, even though I often ride wearing something other than black cycling shorts (nothing white though).

There are two primo times to use the Brooks proofhide. The best is the hottest part of the summer, like when it's 32+ and maybe more in the sun.

Set the saddle in the sun for a while (bottom side up), and then start applying proofhide (mostly to the underside). When it's hot as this, you'll have trouble applying enough, it soaks in so fast. Just keep at it. (my preferred tool is an old toothbrush)

The second best time is now, when you've got a heater going. Set the saddle close to the heater, and the proofhide a little further away (warmed, but not melted into a liquid). Try to keep both on the warm side, and apply repeatedly until it takes a while for the latest coat to seep in. Slather on another coat or two after that. (this is mostly underside, which really sucks it in, but put some on top, too)

.....I never had any stain problems with the Brooks, even though I often ride wearing something other than black cycling shorts (nothing white though).

Sounds like they finally changed the dye they were using, good to know.

I've got 2 honey and 1 black B17 specials.

Like Stu and Joe mine were comfy straightaway.
I wouldn't bother going for the pre-aged one personally,I get some bizarre satisfaction after breaking in one through putting the KMs in.

This seat is going on my 'grocery getter' / comfy ride with the wife bike.
It doesn't quite get the miles of my Road bike - so that was my concern.

However the responses here made me not so worried about the break in.

So I ordered this one...
Brown B17

Looks nice.
Don't forget to keep a plastic bag under the saddle so you can cover the Brooks if you have to leave it in the rain.

I have a Brooks B17 and don't do anything to it other than throw shark oil treatment on it once every spring.

Don't forget to keep a plastic bag under the saddle so you can cover the Brooks if you have to leave it in the rain.

Works for me! I hear other people use a shower cap.

This seat is going on my 'grocery getter' / comfy ride with the wife bike.
It doesn't quite get the miles of my Road bike - so that was my concern.

However the responses here made me not so worried about the break in.

So I ordered this one...
Brown B17

My guess is you'll do a month or two, maybe a half season, on the B17 on your grocery getter, and then you'll be wondering about why you didn't get a second one to put on your road bike.

Back
Top Bottom