What's new

Broken SRAM Shifter lever

Jayves

Speeding Up
Nov 20, 2009
I have broken my SRAM RIVAL rear shifter today. It caused me to DNF on my brevet ride. Not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or something else but I wasn't happy with the result. I have expected more usage as I only been using it for a year. My Shimano levers last longer....

Probably will go back to the more traditional downtube shifters. They are bullet proof and with friction mode, i can hopefully get away on few emergencies.

I have broken my SRAM RIVAL rear shifter today. It caused me to DNF on my brevet ride. Not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or something else but I wasn't happy with the result. I have expected more usage as I only been using it for a year. My Shimano levers last longer....

Probably will go back to the more traditional downtube shifters. They are bullet proof and with friction mode, i can hopefully get away on few emergencies.

Jayves, I feel for you mate. I had my 1 month out of warranty SRAM Red rear mech and right shifter both fail within a week of each other. After contacting SRAM Japan they have told me they will repair them at a 'reasonable' cost. I'll wait and see what that means before making any conclusions, but to say it was disappointing would be an understatement. As i cant wait for the repairs I went out and bought a complete Ultegra group
set and am loving it. The front shifting is so smooth amd easy compared to SRAM amd the drive train is incredibly quiet compared to that Red. Sure, gear changes aren't as crisp, but who wants a group set that fails after 2 years?
Anyway, as frustrating as I know it must be at least yours should be under warranty. Good luck with it!

I'm beginning to doubt quality of SRAM for the long term use.

Mike, it look like Giant is the distributor of SRAM in Japan. Did you call Giant or do you have a specific SRAM Japan number?

Jayves,

I was the one that gave Mike the contact of someone I know at SRAM HQ. I suggest that as yours is still covered under warranty that you go through those channels first as you may find the store switches them on the spot.

If for some reasons you run in to troubles drop me a line and I will see what I can do to help.

I bought this online from the US. Any advice if I should contact the online store directly to go directly to the local distributor?

you'll need to contact whom you bought it from.

Done... I shoot an email and let's see how it will turn out.

Also, browsing the web, seems there are bunch of people out there with broken SRAM shift lever, similar to mine, detached/broken from the pivot point. It is even mentioned in Lennard Zinn Tech column !!!

This surely put a nail on the coffin on the product durability.

That is indeed not good - Mike it might be worth recontacting them with this information as it seems this is a production issue.

Quote from Velonews and answer from SRAM Media manager: http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/08/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/101028_101028

"It is possible to find a contact number for SRAM on our Web site, and consumers can call us if they have no dealer nearby. In the specific case of this broken lever, we did have a handful come in broken out of the thousands that went out. We have made a running change to strengthen the lever body."

So indeed SRAM admitted a 'handful' of production issue. I bought mine end of 2009 so it could be a case (speculating) where SRAM didn't replace distributor inventory actively. Rather depend on user complain and use of warranty for replacement.

Anyway, let see how it goes.

I've been using RED for 4 years, never had a problem, still as smooth as new. And it's been crash tested many times!:eek:

Just an update, the online seller in the US was very accommodating and will be replacing the shifter under warranty. They also mentioned any SRAM dealer in Japan should also be able to handle the claim, it is just a question if they are willing...

Out of curiosity, I called Giant Japan (YT-san) and inquire about warranty of products bought online (domestic/international). I was surprise that they only handle product "sold" by local dealers on their physical shop and don't handle warranty for any online orders. They can fix for a fee if bought online regardless under warranty or not. Kind of strange business arrangement with SRAM and GIANT.

Not sure if this is battle worth fighting for... and would rather ship it to US.

Thoughts?

My guess is that they do not actually repair it but replace it, what you are probably paying for is the restock fee.

Was able to sent the package to US for 280 yen. Probably cheaper than restocking fee :)

Im guessing so too! :D

In the meantime I installed a downtube shifter... let see how long this will last :D

Nice... look at those shiny reflections... I wanted one but I just picked an old 10S bar end shifter from my spare parts box and converted it to a downtube shifter.

Looking more closely at the picture, I don't see a wire loop on the right shifter that allows you to choose friction or index shifting. Is it gone from the latest model?

some shifters I recently chose:
P1000352.jpg

Gosh, I hadn't noticed, or thought about it...! So yes, indexed right/rear with big clicks, friction on the other side.

Just an update....

I received a new and shiny SRAM replacement shifter yesterday. It took a while to reach the states but once the shop received it, they quickly processed it without question and I got back the replacement in less than a week.

For now, it goes to my spare part box until needed...

Back
Top Bottom