What's new

BRM914 千葉 200km (Chiba 200 km Audax)

Thanks for the idea... I'm trying to imagine how it works. How did you support it horizontally? Did the front edge rest on the brake cables (assuming Shimano shifters)? Or was it flipped forward and resting on your top tube?
It was flipped toward me, resting on the stem. The front edge was hanging over the top tube, several inches away from of my knees and above the top tube. I actually had to cut a notch in the back edge (the one resting along the handle bar) for the front lamp. Even in the wind it held pretty steady.

I didn't take any photos specifically of this set up, but here's a side shot of my bike with the cue sheet clipped to the handles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmrocher2001/2209281282/in/set-72157603717217938/

I have seen recently a bar mounted map holder for touring cyclists, maybe just the kind of thing you need, think it even had a waterproof cover. Wasn't in my LBS it was in a supermarket. If I come across one in the next few weeks when shopping I'll pick one up and send a Pic.

Thanks for the info, Greg. I would be interesting in seeing a pic if you ever get round to it. I've seen a few varieties available on online, too, but I'm guessing the North American ones, at least, will be slightly the wrong size (A4 system of sheet sizing is much less common there.)

It was flipped toward me, resting on the stem. The front edge was hanging over the top tube, several inches away from of my knees and above the top tube. I actually had to cut a notch in the back edge (the one resting along the handle bar) for the front lamp. Even in the wind it held pretty steady.

I didn't take any photos specifically of this set up, but here's a side shot of my bike with the cue sheet clipped to the handles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmrocher2001/2209281282/in/set-72157603717217938/

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I would have to move my computer (currently stem-mounted) but that sounds like a good solution. Maybe time to visit the 100 yen shop for parts...

Actually, one correction on my description: the notch I cut was for the computer, not the lamp. Mine is stem-mounted as well.

The results are in

http://aj-chiba.org/

A bit of noodling on Excel reveals that Phil and I were in the middle bunch of our group departing at 7 30 am. There were 13 faster runners and 12 with the same or slower times. The fastest guy was back and with his feet up at 14:54 a clear three and a half hours ahead of us !!

Next guy back arrived at 16:19 so that was some performance. Last guy back was 20:10 and three DNF`s.

Anyway not bad at all for a first attempt I suppose.

chazzer

Medals !

Audax provides 200,300,400 and 600K rides. I may challenge to the next step someday but not this year. The brevet season normally starts from February and end in November. If you are interested, just stay tuned on the website for entry.

Minoru Arai

If you enter, and successfully complete then your card is sent away to France for certification and a medal is also available. Here they are - been meaning to post for a while and finally have the chance.

Many thanks again to Arai-san and Phil !

chazzer

Yeah, got mine recently in the post, too. Nice little memento of the ride.

Back
Top Bottom