What's new

BRM519 (300 km) report

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
I came back from my first brevet last night, sunburnt, exhausted and dead tired. It was BRM519, a 300 km brevet around Mt Fuji staged by Audax Japan NishiTokyo. Also participating was Jose (Jayves), though we rode separately for most of the course because he is a much more powerful rider. In preparation for this event I had done three training rides (227 km, 200 km, 235 km) since March that followed at least part of the route. Jose's company and advice has been invaluable.

From Machida we rode down to Enoshima, followed the coast to Odawara and climbed up to Gotemba. From there we rode down to the coast near Numazu, followed the coast to Fujikawa, then headed north on a long climb on the extended slopes on the west side of Mt Fuji. From over 1100 m on the NW of Fuji the road descends to Fujiyoshida and further down to Tsuru. The final stretch follows mountainous R35 to Sagamiko (extremely steep in places but great descents) and climbs over Mt Takao (which seems trivial after all the previous climbing).

Though the 15 km/h minimum pace implied by the 20 hour time limit may seem modest, it includes all food and sleep breaks and a course with plenty of climbing. The people who design these courses like back roads and hills. Some of the R35 climbs I was crawling up at 6.5 km/h in my granny gear. You go uphill for 2 hours before Gotemba and 4 hours solid at Mt Fuji, which you can never make up on faster downhills from there. The 22:00 start means the first 6 1/2 hours are at night, so not only do you need proper lights, you also lost a night of sleep.

Lack of sleep proved to be much more of a challenge than distance or elevation. If there was one thing I'd do differently next time, it would be to make sure I get a good few hours sleep during daytime before the night time start. I had meant to do that, but instead spent that time running around looking for extra lights, as I found out from Jose that I needed two lights at the front and two at the rear (one of which could be on the helmet). The first rear light I bought didn't work when I tried it at home, so I returned it and got a another and finally had only napped 20 minutes before I took the train to Machida.

Here's the bike:

IMG_2468.JPG

At the brevet reception:

IMG_2469.JPG

People there were very friendly, though they were quite surprised I wanted to ride the brevet on a small wheeled folding bike. 80 people had signed up for the ride. I received my brevet card and instructions on how to gather receipts at the unmanned checkpoints (PC = point de contrôle).

After a group briefing each bike and rider was checked to make sure we met all the conditions about lights, bells, reflective clothing, etc. Then we were off into the night.

Jose and I were riding together for the first couple of km, but separated soon when I stopped to remove a layer as I was warming up. There were plenty of fellow riders for following a lead rider. With the pace at which we were going towards the coast (except for traffic lights), I was feeling like I was on the Enoshima Express train :) We got there a little before midnight. I got my brevet card signed (this was the only manned checkpoint) and I refilled my water bottles at the public toilet where PC1 was located, then headed off with Jose and another rider after a few minutes. I soon dropped off again and rode by myself until other riders came along around 10 km before Odawara, where PC2 was located.

PC2-PC4 were unmanned, that means they were conbini where you buy some food or drink, making sure to keep the receipt to prove when you were there. Nevertheless the ride organisers came by car to join us at each of these stops, to check everyone was doing OK and to offer encouragement.

From Odawara the climb to Gotemba starts very gentle, but continues for 30 km for an altitude gain of 460 m. I was lucky to end up riding in a group of 5 that set a good pace I could keep up with. As the route got steeper though, I had to work harder and harder and drafting made less difference, so I waived the rider behind me to pass and continued on my own. Somewhere along the way I came across Jose, who was just about to lie down and take a nap in a bus shelter. As it got colder during the night I put on my trousers from my rain gear.

Somewhere along the 25 km route from Gotemba to the coast the sun came up and I could see Mt Fuji:

IMG_2478.JPG

I led another rider at a good speed, but was feeling the lack of sleep as I was cycling along the coast. We crossed Fuji river and headed up inland towards the next unmanned checkpoint (PC3).

A fellow brevet rider at PC3:

IMG_2482.JPG

Before the longest climb:

IMG_2483.JPG

The 1100 m climb from sea level, starting at about the halfway point of the 300 km up to the pass above Lake Motosu was the hardest part of the ride. The scenery is beautiful though, with many dairy farms. The smell of cow dung reminded me of my home village :)

IMG_2486.JPG

Lake Motosu from the pass:

IMG_2490.JPG

During the climb I got so sleepy, I had to find a spot to lie down and catch a nap (a slab of concrete next to a rice paddy, with my rinko bag as a pillow), as I felt it wasn't safe to continue in my state. The same thing happened again on R35 between Tsuru and Sagamiko. I had been 1 1/2 hours ahead of the minimum pace of 15 km/h at PC2 before Mt Fuji, but after those naps didn't know if I would still make the time limit until almost the very end, when I fought traffic in Machida to make it back by 18:00.

I was so glad when I got back safely and it was all over. I had done well with my training, with eating and drinking and with navigation, but managing naps is definitely something I'll need to learn if I am to ride brevets again.

I am also looking forward to trying my TCC cycling shorts once they finally arrive. Cotton underwear rubbing against certain parts of the male anatomy did become irritating towards the end of the ride. Also, I'll need something other than a back pack for my stuff, because my shoulders got itchy from the straps, especially with the sweat in warm weather.

They say any brevet over 200 km isn't much fun and they're probably right, unless you're a bit of a masochist. Riding brevets adds a number of challenges beyond personal long distance rides, such as managing time (including sleeping time). It tests planning and self discipline as much as cycling skills. It does give you an excuse for a bunch of long training rides in the mountains. On the brevet itself you'll meet some extremely nice people who enjoy cycling very, very much. The brevet was almost as hard as my first climb of Mt Fuji last year and "fun" is maybe not the right word to describe it, yet I would definitely recommend giving it a try at least once if you like long rides at a pace that mere mortals can still train for.

(deleted)

Joe, congratulation on your first brevet. Well done!

Hehe... Probably 'much more powerful rider' is too strong word :eek: Nothing compared with the great masters of TCC. I probably need 1000+ brevet as training just to suck their wheels :)

Congrats Joe, sounds like you really did well!!

Looks like your training etc proved to be worth it too, great write up!:D

Great writeup in your blog, Jose!

I think I also met Maki-san, the female triathlete you mentioned in your blog (unless there was another female participant with a triathlon-themed jersey). She caught up with me at the traffic light in Tsuru where we turned off towards R35 and dropped me before the first tunnel, i.e. a few hundred metres later.

About naps outdoors in the cold, have you ever tried a mylar sheet ("space blanket")? They're supposed to reflect body heat and be very light weight / easy to fold into a small package.

It is difficult not to miss Maki-san when she passes you. Although I didn't notice the jersey design, she is very sociable and greet riders with a big voice :) I also confirmed at the finish line that she left PC4 around the time I finished which probably between 14:00 -14:30 ish.

No I haven't used mylar sheet. I heard they are noisy (cracking noise) when you move around and could wake you up. Is this true? I actually saw a rider carry a bubble wrap nicely rolled and attached to his saddlebag. This could be another good alternative.

Congratulations Joe, that's impressive.

I was wondering how you were going as I was riding in the area too.

Sounds like a good event to do.

Dave

Excellent stuff,Joe.

A top effort and a top report.

Thanks for putting it on here and congratulations are your accomplishment!

It is difficult not to miss Maki-san when she passes you. Although I didn't notice the jersey design, she is very sociable and greet riders with a big voice :) I also confirmed at the finish line that she left PC4 around the time I finished which probably between 14:00 -14:30 ish.

I arrived at PC4 around 13:15. I clearly remember her jersey design primarily because I was trying to draft behind her :)

Congratulations Joe!

Thanks, Alan! Last year it rained for most of the 300 km, now that I consider hard core!

Well done Joe on finishing that, 300km is no cake walk! Nice pics and thanks for sharing. Next week I'll head to Lake Motosu myself and am thinking about doing some climbing around there. Were the roads busy? Any suggestions?

Mike, the roads the other side of Mt Fuji (R75, R71) weren't very busy. Only when we descended 71 and the road joined 139 towards Fujiyoshida did it get busy. At least it still being around noon, the road from Fujiyoshida towards Tsuru wasn't packed with cars heading back to Chuo expressway yet as it usually would be later in the afternoon.

Personally, I wouldn't mind going back to Fujiyoshida some time this year to do Fuji Subaru line again because I really enjoyed the views from up there.

Back
Top Bottom