What's new

Brit moving to Tokyo

prglewis

Warming-Up
Jun 2, 2019
Hey guys, I'm from the UK and I'm going to be spending the summer in Tokyo with a view to moving there afterwards if things go well. I arrive next week and I'm doing a 2 month Japanese language course at Waseda Uni.

I'm a road cyclist, been riding on-and-off for about 10 years, and I recently started racing. I'm more of a sprinter, and I did reasonably well on the shorter crit style races (the UK has a bunch of outdoor velodromes and circuit races). I'd love to meet some cyclists that also race and get a lay of the land, and also just meet some locals in general.

Does the club have any meetups for drinks/coffee, or are there any racers that would be willing to catch up in person? Beers are on me! :D

Cheers,
Paul

Nice to meet you, Paul. There are rides organized on weekends and public holidays but they're on a bit of an ad-hoc basis. Do you know where you'll be living yet?

All always welcome at https://halffastcycling.com/ - some of our rides might be a bit tame for you, but they're a great way to learn your way around the city. Others are as challenging as you like...

I'm a cyclist that races. If you have a bike with you let's go for an early morning ride. if not, drop a message when things go well!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Stu - I have a temporary apt in Shinjuku for the next 2 months while I get my bearings, then I'll be looking for a more permanent place to live. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Mike - thanks, I'll look to join you guys for some rides. I won't have my bike with me until about September though. Do you know any good places to rent from?

Grant - nice to meet you mate. I'll def join you once I get my bike or a rental sorted. In the meantime, are there any post-ride coffee stops that might be worth coming along to, or are there any races coming up that would be worth watching? I'd be interested to see what the races and teams are like. I don't know if it's a thing here but I'd be happy to volunteer as well if help is needed.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Matt, I joined the mailing list. I'll work on getting a bike, hopefully the rainy season goes away soon!

Hey Paul
Another Brit here. I live up in Saitama, pretty close to what is referred to as "The Spaceship" on TCC. I've just got back on the bike after a 7 month absence (was training for a 100km race..... running that is). I'll be heading out into the mountains in the near future (once the rains have stopped). I'll hopefully post some rides on here a few days before the each weekend.
Cheers
Mark

Hi Paul,
No major pro-level racing happening within easy reach of Tokyo for a while to my knowledge. There is an "enduro" event, basically a long criterium open to everyone happening in Kawasaki not far from Tokyo. Seems really difficult to get to without a bike or car though. One strong amateur team called Roppongi Express will be there in force to destroy the field. Some guys off this message board will be there too: https://tokyocycle.com/threads/kawasaki-enduro-june-16th-2019.8198/

Hey guys, I've sorted out a bike, and if windfinder is anything to go by it seems like it might not rain after all this weekend! Any good rides happening?

Cheers!

Couple of us heading out Okutama way Sunday morning. 6am Sangenjaya station or 6:30 Tamatoi by the river if any cares.

Back
Top Bottom