What's new

Brainstorming for an iPhone cycling App

Kevinchows

Speeding Up
Sep 24, 2011
I know there is a lot of cycling apps out there, and different app have their own pros and cons, but I am not satisfy at all.
For example:

Strava:
pros:
- You can compare your time with others who ride on the same course(KOM)
cons:
- You cannot see your performance analysis unless you subscribe to premium service which cause 6USD a month :warau:
- Not GPS data export

cyclemeter:
Pros:
- You can see all the performance analysis on your iPhone (no web interface)
- Ghost racing lets you compete against your
- GPS data export
- SNS sharing
cons:
- Cannot see others performance
- No web interface to back up the ride data

iMapMyRide:
Pros:
-You can track you calories
cons:
- No performance analysis

Basically, most of the apps are good but not perfect. I want to make an Free App similar to "Strava" With no Ad or subscription, plus additional feature like Ghost ride, performance analysis, calories tracking, SNS sharing and search routes. All of the basic functions that other application have, include ANT+: Heart rate sensor, power meter, Speed/Cadence Sensor

Some feature that I haven't see but really want are the followings:

Group ride: A group of riders can see each teammate's speed and position on the map.

Meet random rider in your Area: show your current location and people who is riding now, so you can catch them. (Of course, there is a invisible setting too!)

Virtual teammate: find a course and get real data from other user's past ride and compete against them.

:angel: Here is my questions for you:

1. Do you have any iPhone cycling app that satisfy you?
2. Any feature you really want but cannot find it in the app you are using now?
3. Dose any features I mention above attracted you?

Not actually interested at all in an iphone or smart phone app.

What I would be interested in though is this kind of app on the new andriod cycle computers when they are released later this year.

"andriod cycle computers" do you have a link or a name for the cycling computer?

There were some sneak previews recently -- Pioneer has been in the press. Others are out there, too.

I agree mostly . The iPhone is not really good for this becuase of so many issues ranging from environmental and battery to app distribution. Android phone makes a little more sense - but an integrated system w/API hooks would be the best. Unfortunately - I think the MFG like Pioneer will make yet another walled garden similar to Garmin.

Maybe we need to do a Kickstarter and produce an 'OpenSprints' type of solution. So - HW is covered and then any developer can contribute code and modules.

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-android-powered-prototype-cycling-computer-surfaces-11125664/

Tim they were at cycle mode and the plan was to allow for apps to be installed on the computer.... however the functions it comes with are pretty impressive and Garmin will have to really get thier act together to take them on.

Yeah, iPhone battery don't last very long maximum 4 hrs I guess. I need something that is light and battery will last for a whole day of continuous riding.
Kickstarter is a good idea!! I have no problem making server, api and open source project. On the other hand, hardware will be a bit difficult for me.

I purchased the iphone interface, stride sendor, and speed and cadence sensor from http://www.wahoofitness.com/ . These are ANT+ compliant sensors. I expect them in this week. What interested me was the number of apps that these sensors will work with.

I was using runtastic before I got the Garmin. It worked pretty well. But the phone battery life was a disaster.

The Garmin is much better.

It seem like everyone have problem with the battery.
How about an arduino open source hardware cycling computer + api.

My goal is to make a customizable cycling computer with a sub ¥15000 budget.
Anyone interested? I really want to start a kickstarter project.

Great idea. But people are right, there are battery concerns. I myself use my iphone linked to Ant devices. The solution I chose has a sealed case so its waterproof, extendable battery etc. I think there is even a powermeter option now. So far I have it only doing HR, cadence, speed etc and a sensor for running. You can then upload everything to different places, I use trainingpeaks for the web side analysis.

Check it out: http://www.wahoofitness.com/

The app I am really interested in seeing, dont really care what platform, would be something to calculate all the lights along a route, average out when they are red and give ya an audible signal as to what speed you should be going to ideally hit the next one at green:bike: What can I say I have 90 or so lights along my commute route:eek:

You see here is the issue, when you are having to constantly "add" attachements to a device to get it to do what you want then you might as well go for a device that is designed specifically for the task... Phones at the end of the day are phones.

I'll stick with the Garmin until something better comes along.

Hi Kevin - I'm totally with you on this. Also, I have 2 staff that are good with embedded OS (including one ex ZTE guy who's very comfortable with this kind of work) I say we do this! Give me a PM and let's coordinate. There are plenty of ANT+ sensors, so the real meat and potatoes will be in making an opensource compatible HW chassis with a base OS.

It seem like everyone have problem with the battery.
How about an arduino open source hardware cycling computer + api.

My goal is to make a customizable cycling computer with a sub ¥15000 budget.
Anyone interested? I really want to start a kickstarter project.

I agree - somewhat - but essentially this is exactly what the Garmin or any other DA type of device does /is. Just a central DA CPU and then attach whatever sensors are required or desired. ANT+ makes it quite easy to do this from both HW and SW perspective.

I have also seen some R&D into using low power Wifi , which seems interesting - though , the power requirements are still far too high to make it reasonable for on-bike, in my opinion.

One advantage the phone has is of course it's capability to utilize the Carrier networks. This way you can truly intercommunicate, whereas, devices like the Garmin are still stuck in the stone age, if you ask me, in that they cannot access broader network assets.

The iPhone sucks because of its environmental issues and Apple's draconian 'app store' requirements. And, as you pointed out - you DO need to add a fair amount of 'piggy back' gear to make it useful as an ANT+ DA device.

You see here is the issue, when you are having to constantly "add" attachements to a device to get it to do what you want then you might as well go for a device that is designed specifically for the task... Phones at the end of the day are phones.

I'll stick with the Garmin until something better comes along.

Very interesting thread.

Going to take a back seat and just watch this develop, but I like the thinking. Everything like this is good, even if it only ends up as good as an existing product. Better to try than to not!

Good stuff.

Another idea on top of the main open HW cycling computer is a power meter hub that generate power to charge the computer. Unlimited power as long as you riding it.:bike: problem solve.

Great idea. But people are right, there are battery concerns. I myself use my iphone linked to Ant devices. The solution I chose has a sealed case so its waterproof, extendable battery etc. I think there is even a powermeter option now. So far I have it only doing HR, cadence, speed etc and a sensor for running. You can then upload everything to different places, I use trainingpeaks for the web side analysis.

Check it out: http://www.wahoofitness.com/

The app I am really interested in seeing, dont really care what platform, would be something to calculate all the lights along a route, average out when they are red and give ya an audible signal as to what speed you should be going to ideally hit the next one at green:bike: What can I say I have 90 or so lights along my commute route:eek:

I actually think about this before, sometime I got stuck on every light during a commute ride to work. The problem with that is different light may have different timing, so need to find a way to find out all the light's timing.

Developing hardware might get really expensive, especially if you want phone carrier access. Android phone sounds like it could work though.

Battery issue; external battery would be my preference...or perhaps piggyback off the Di2 battery on such an equipped bike.

I actually think about this before, sometime I got stuck on every light during a commute ride to work. The problem with that is different light may have different timing, so need to find a way to find out all the light's timing.

hehe, ya I think avoiding lights is something we all want a solution for. I had thought that since most commuters take a set number of routes, there could be some kind of "learning" mode on the app that would time lights, or u tap it to identify when lights change etc... then eventually maybe you have the timings. Or perhaps have it marked as being red whenever the speed hits zero. With efficient light timing I am sure I could cut at least 20 mins off my commute. Either that or a google map mashup that would at least calculate a route with least lights along it.

The iPhone sucks because of its environmental issues and Apple's draconian 'app store' requirements. And, as you pointed out - you DO need to add a fair amount of 'piggy back' gear to make it useful as an ANT+ DA device.

The biggest thing the iPhone has going for it as a platform for developers is its large user base.

Microsoft would never get away with the kind of things on the desktop that Apple routinely does. A friend of mine (a computer industry veteran who personally knew Jobs before he got fired from Apple) after reading his biography: "He was an even bigger a*****e than I thought."

Android is Apple's worst nightmare. It's fairly open and, unlike self-contained devices like Garmin, ties into the wireless infrastructure. There are also cheap WiFi-only Android devices available. So I would at least give Android a thought.

What about coding in phonegap or something similar so platform is not so much of a concern?

Back
Top Bottom