What's new

Bottom bracket moving in the frame

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
Am I right in saying that time has run out on my trusty steed?

The cranks and chainset are solid on the axle, but the bottom bracket moves maybe an inch left/right in the frame. LBS says dekinai, he reckons the frame has been eroded by the shell of the BB. Any semi-permanent fix?

The bike's 3 years old now, just a cheapie aluminium framed hybrid.

Threads?

Could be the threads are stripped out from riding it loose. It would be hard to tell unless you remove the bottom bracket to see.
Did your mechanic do a visual inspection or did he actually take it apart?
Doesnt sound good, but I wouldnt write off the frame unless I actually took it apart and looked in there.
The tools needed to remove your crank arms and bottom bracket are specific tools for that job, so unless you have them you may want to try another shop.
Seems odd to just send you out the door without giving you any option of a fix, was the person helping you busy?

Can you post any pictures of it, that would help. Pull the crank as far out to the left and also to the right as far as possible and get real close to where the bottom bracket and frame meet.
Could be the bearings are gone on blown if there is that much play.
Sometimes if a bike is looking like a big mess of trouble a shop will not even begin to touch it.
Let us know...

Could be the threads are stripped out from riding it loose. It would be hard to tell unless you remove the bottom bracket to see.
Did your mechanic do a visual inspection or did he actually take it apart?
Doesnt sound good, but I wouldnt write off the frame unless I actually took it apart and looked in there.
The tools needed to remove your crank arms and bottom bracket are specific tools for that job, so unless you have them you may want to try another shop.
Seems odd to just send you out the door without giving you any option of a fix, was the person helping you busy?

Can you post any pictures of it, that would help. Pull the crank as far out to the left and also to the right as far as possible and get real close to where the bottom bracket and frame meet.
Could be the bearings are gone on blown if there is that much play.
Sometimes if a bike is looking like a big mess of trouble a shop will not even begin to touch it.
Let us know...

I'll do some pix for you. Yeah, he was pretty much under siege yesterday, since I think they close down all of GW. Just a cursory visual inspection, followed by a soft groan! I thought maybe I needed a 15mm socket to remove the crank arms/chainset assembly, but that size was missing from my toolbox (which is more car specific than bike orientated)?

Where are you in Tokyo?

I'm in Shinjuku, I have an assortment of tools, including the one for removing cranks. I think I'll be at home on Sunday, as I have stuff to do around here, maybe you could swing by, and we could take a look see?

Pics first would be good!:D

An INCH!! Hmm, no way the chain would stay on the sprocket! There is barely an inch of thread on either cup side. So - how could the BB be shifting side to side? If its carbon frame,. I understand as occassionally the alloy insert will break loose - but this is rare and generally in very poor constructed frames. For alloy frames - the BB threading is cut directly into the shell. So - unless its an EBB or has some funky internal shell - this is really bizare to me... If your BB shell has corroded to the point that you've separate from the seatpost or downtube ... you'll get a ton of slop down there. Pics, please.

I am fairly certain there are going to be those that decide, we're not going to bother helping this bloke, he can't even be bothered to clean his bike......here's my rationale: if I've had 3 years' cycling out of this machine, for an investment of 3man initially plus maybe that much again in parts & maintenance, that is about 60 yen a day. If it's fixable, everything from now on is a bonus.

If not, I just go and buy the same bike again.

Pix:

I am fairly certain there are going to be those that decide, we're not going to bother helping this bloke, he can't even be bothered to clean his bike......here's my rationale: if I've had 3 years' cycling out of this machine, for an investment of 3man initially plus maybe that much again in parts & maintenance, that is about 60 yen a day. If it's fixable, everything from now on is a bonus.

If not, I just go and buy the same bike again.

Pix:

Oh boy, that looks like some trouble!

I would say you certainly need a new bottom bracket, now if the threads inside there are buggered or not, will not know until it is apart.

Can you show me pics of the cranks, how are they held on?

How close are you to Shinjuku?

I'd take a look at it one morning if you can come by.

Cheers!

"he can't even be bothered to clean his bike......"
....do you clean your teeth before going to the dentist? ears before barber? maybe better luck after GW

Oh boy, that looks like some trouble!

I would say you certainly need a new bottom bracket, now if the threads inside there are buggered or not, will not know until it is apart.

Can you show me pics of the cranks, how are they held on?

How close are you to Shinjuku?

I'd take a look at it one morning if you can come by.

Cheers!

30minutes to Shinjuku. Can drop round any weekday morning this week.

Stu, if you need my BB tap set lemme know. I'll leave it out for you. Riding early AM.

Stu, if you need my BB tap set lemme know. I'll leave it out for you. Riding early AM.

Thanks Tim, but I have one, or at least I have the one for taking off cranks from the taper fit BBs....?
View attachment 776

Oh, wait a minute, you are talking about the actual tap set...?

OK, if you have one of those to lend, I'll come along with the other Tim and meet you in the morning and get it from you, time we finally met face to face anyway!

Domo!

With heartfelt thanks to Stuart, it works; no more need to unclip every 100m and whack the axle back into position.

But I'm looking for a new bike.

With heartfelt thanks to Stuart, it works; no more need to unclip every 100m and whack the axle back into position.

But I'm looking for a new bike.

Nice to meet you, enjoyed our chat for sure!

The threads on both sides of the frame were not damaged, they did not exist anymore :eek:

Thanks to Tim for the lend of the tapping tools (bloody nice bit of kit those!) but they were of no use, as there was nothing left to tap.

To solve the problem, long enough so Pete could look for a new bike, or even just get home :rolleyes: I cleaned and cleaned everything, then I used some good quality epoxy to hold everything in place.

I'd suggest you get hopping on that new bike hunt!! :D

You should start a new thread, I'm sure many here would LOVE to help you spend your hard earned money ;) :D

Again, very nice to meet you, sorry I could only offer a temp fix.

Cheers!

I was just looking at Wiggle.....

>> 2010 Charge Tap <<
Basically the same as the Charge Mixer 8 I have but without the disc brakes, still it is a deal at 45% off 39,324 yen, add 12,500 yen for shipping 51824 yen to you sir!:eek: That is with the 8 Speed Nexus Hub set up, mine has the newer Alfine.

Or talk about cheap.........

>> 2010 Raleigh Urban 1 <<
22,045 yen plus 12,500 yen for shipping is 34,545 yen wow!
Looks to be much like the bike you have now, 700c wheels urban bike.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom