What's new

Bottle cage mount help

mxs

Speeding Up
May 14, 2010
My frame (cr-mo steel) originally came without bottle cage mounts on the frame and I would like to have a set installed. I would like to avoid having to deal with brazing and repainting. It seems like I can use rivnuts instead.

Does anyone have any experience with this, know where I could pick up some quality ones, or know a shop that could do this? I tried using google, but it doesn't seem like リブナットis the correct term in Japanese. What would be the correct term for these in Japanese? Thanks for the help.

Minoura makes nice bottle cage holder. So does Zefal. I've seen them variously at Bic Camera and many fixed gear related bike shops like Blue Lug, Brouters, W-Base, etc.

Actually there is not even any need to buy a bike specific one.

Just go to your local hardware store and buy a adjustable hose/pipe lock ring - normally used for airhoses and hosepipes where you need to lock the join down that is under constant high pressure.

Worm-Drive-Clamps.jpg

will cost you about 200 - 400 yen depending on size and material.

The snap-lock Minoura's are de-rigour for any Keirin Long Ride bike. That plus a set of Soyo Green tires. Or, you're welcome to drop by and I'll give you a set of Zefal Mounts, I have a few kicking around and don't use them. The hose clamp solution works, too just make sure you put a piece of old innertube on the frame to keep it from getting scratched (and rusty). BTW - you can get those at Tokyu Hands - or even many 100yen stores.

The term in Japanese seems to be ナットリベット

I think my old Canondale, 1990's, used something like rivnuts for the bottle cage mounts.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I will give those Elite units a try

Back
Top Bottom