What's new

bottle cage bags

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Tangential to the "what do you carry" thread, I did some searching, and while I got a few good hits, what particular bottle cage bag/container people were using was not covered very well.

So here it is...!

This is what I've been using, bouncing it from bike to bike:

7be2ddc5.jpg

It seems like enough, and I like that it's fabric rather than plastic, reason being that I can stuff this one tight. And it won't rattle, either in a cage or the stuff within it. It's wonderful that it zips open (clamshell) rather than just a top that comes off so that you have to dump everything out to get at what you're going to use.

Some--or most--of the plastic bottle versions are bigger, some quite a bit bigger, which might allow for an extra tire, and so on.

What are everyone's preferences for these kits?

For example, SKS makes a plastic one that is certainly bigger than what I'm using:

tb35.jpg

I guess the bag to the left is so that you can access a bit of what's in the plastic bottle without removing everything, or at least keeping some things separate.

(I'm not sure what the hole in the cap is for.)

To me, the clamshell design seems better (tho smaller), but maybe I'm missing something?

I've had Trek bottle bag for a long time - absolutely perfect.
Only one minus is that it takes up one bottle cage, which could be used for stuff like second bottle or rinko bag.

Only one minus is that it takes up one bottle cage, which could be used for stuff like second bottle or rinko bag.

I consider two bottles pretty much essential this time of the year unless you want to restrict your riding to where there are conbini or vending machines within reasonable distances.

I consider two bottles pretty much essential this time of the year unless you want to restrict your riding to where there are conbini or vending machines within reasonable distances.

Yeah, but the bag is just too good :) I got myself a bigger than normal bottle (750ml) to compensate

I finally broke down and bought an under seat pack for all of my stuff.(It probably violates some type of Rule, but I did not bother to look it up) For me, I prefer 2 750ml bottles (with different fluids). The pump is on the downtube connected to the bottle cage. I used to fiddle around always stuffing my pockets with tools/spares, now it is always on the bike, ready to go. Especially helpful for fall/winter/spring rides when I like to have extra clothes in the rear pockets. No complaints so far.

I prefer two proper bottles as well. The bike bag goes in the center jersey pocket. :thumb:

With you on that one Pete, can't stand saddle bags!

But for those that must have something to carry the baggage, why not go old school and just use an old bottle?

two methods: use one that has the same radius all the way down and use the supplied cap or cut down a 750ml bottle and leave open, absoultely no point in wasting good money on these things when a knackered bottle does the trick!

Don't like saddle bags either, but I bought a Lezyne one before my visit this spring so I could carry more spares and havent taken it off the bike. Mine is just big enough to hold a spare tube & three tyre levers. It was marked as a medium so I wonder what you can get in a small. I also have a Silca bottle cage box I bought to put the rinko into but it wouldnt fit. Now I use it to carry more tools on shorter rides.
I seem to have become a bit paranoid in recent years & carry a lot of spares, I ought to give myself a good talking to :)

Back
Top Bottom