MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
Ride 1 24.5 km Ichinomiya Easy Loop Alpha
  • Distance: 23.5 km
  • Climbing: 151 m
  • Start: Kasuza Ichinomiya Station
  • End: Kasuza Ichinomiya Station
  • Highlights: Easy with 3 small climbs and tunnels, Uba shrine is en route, Kujukuri coastline along the last portion.

Ride 2 @OneForTheRoad's Boso 130km
  • Distance: 130km
  • Climbing: 1,300m
  • Start: Kanaya Ferry, Boso Peninsula
  • End: Kanaya Ferry, Boso Peninsula
  • Highlights: climbing to mt. Kano (鹿野山). On the way there is a farm/amusement park where they apparently have good ice cream.

Ride 3 @OneFortheRoad's Boso 90km
  • Distance: 90km
  • Climbing: 1,350m
  • Highlights: cutting through some inland roads to visit the Oyama Senmaida (Oyama Rice Terraces), 2-lanes, almost no cars, smooth tarmac.

Ride 4 @joewein 's Boso 80.2km
  • Distance: 80.2 km
  • Climbing: 615m
  • Highlights: Western Boso Peninsula ride hitting the Sunosaki Lighthouse near Tateyama. Views of Miura Peninsula, Izu Peninsula and Izu Oshima Island.

Ride 5 @joewein 's Boso 93.5 km Escape from the Snow
  • Distance: 93.5 km
  • Climbing: 720
  • Highlights: Southern Boso Peninsula, Late January Ride saw no Ice or Snow

Ride 6 @joewein 's Boso 89.6 km Hilly Boso Explorer
  • Distance: 89.6 km
  • Climbing: 2,658 m
  • End: Goi Station
  • Highlights: Climbing!

Ride 6 @joewein 's Boso 89.6 km Hilly Boso Explorer
  • Climbing: 2,658 m
  • End: Goi Station
  • Highlights: Climbing!

Ride 7 @joewein 's 209 km Heights of Chiba
  • Climbing: 2,523
  • Start: Setagaya
  • End: Setagaya
  • Highlights: Tokyo-Miura-Boso-Miura-Tokyo, no trains but two ferry rides, 209 km cycling distance

Ride 7 @joewein 's 209 km Heights of Chiba
  • Distance: 209 km
  • Climbing: 2,523
  • Highlights: Tokyo-Miura-Boso-Miura-Tokyo, no trains but two ferry rides, 209 km cycling distance

Ride 8 @joewein 's 200 km Boso Backroads
  • Distance: 200 km
  • Climbing: 1,970
  • Highlights: via Honda station

Ride 9 @hat and beard 's 200 km favorite knee breaker
  • Distance: 200 km
  • Climbing: 4,041
  • Start: near Kunitsune Temple in North Western Boso Peninsula
  • End: near Sodegaura station/Sodegaura Bus Terminal
  • Highlights: @hat and beard 's favorite knee breaker.

Last edited:
great weather too l bet.

So nice around there.

I still have a few days' work to do in Boso, to color it all in. Little way south of your new place.

Google ChromeSnap 001.jpg

@adventurous cyclist , it was gorgeous today. Took one water bottle, stuffed my long sleeve jersey into the spare water bottle cage. Only brought it out after the 2nd climb and the shade brought the temps down. How is your ride going. Highly recommend this one if you get out here.

@Half-Fast Mike , its a stunningly beautiful place. Haven't been to too many other places better looking than these parts, maybe Baxter State park and Desert Island in Maine, or the North Cascades in Washington. Not that I see mountains that high here, but the combination of terraced rice plateaus, a few climbs, and the ocean is really a great mix. You could certainly tick off the Isumi, Onjuku, Katsuura tiles in a long weekend. Drove down there last weekend and its pretty. A lot of places seem to be opening up more on the weekends in terms of cafes and coffee shops, and the locals are noticeably more friendly than Tokyo. I'll try to get down to Isumi and post a ride there in the series.

For all the TCCers, if you've got Boso rides, please post them here. It would be great to compile them and I'll watch the thread to edit any of your RWGPS/routes into the top one.

Morning Matt, not much riding yet, but expect a 50km soon. l am still at iwami seaside park. Today is shop and rest day, tomorrow l pack and cycle to Matsue, first big ride.
l need to find free camping in the Matsue area. you have suggestion
all is well Thursday morning, sun is breaking out 8 am

My rides in Boso always start and finish at the Ferry.

#1 130km ride, climbing to mt. Kano (鹿野山). On the way there is a farm/amusement park where I heard they have good ice cream.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4465811923

#2 About 90km ride, cutting through some inland roads to visit the Oyama Senmaida (Oyama Rice Terraces).
https://www.strava.com/activities/4976260706
Those roads are my new obsession. 2-lanes, almost no cars, smooth tarmac. I can only think to put my head down and push the pedals as hard as I can. 😅
1617861557734.png

My rides in Boso always start and finish at the Ferry.

#1 130km ride, climbing to mt. Kano (鹿野山). On the way there is a farm/amusement park where I heard they have good ice cream.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4465811923

#2 About 90km ride, cutting through some inland roads to visit the Oyama Senmaida (Oyama Rice Terraces).
https://www.strava.com/activities/4976260706
Those roads are my new obsession. 2-lanes, almost no cars, smooth tarmac. I can only think to put my head down and push the pedals as hard as I can. 😅
View attachment 30099

Thank you @OneForTheRoad , I've added those to the first post. Tried to estimate the climb based on your port of Kanaya start. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm a great fan of Boso, especially in the winter. Here are some of my adventures there from recent years.

My favourite access is the Tokyo Wan Ferry to Kanaya. Almost any ride starting or ending at Kanaya is great. You just can't go wrong once you're in that part of Chiba!

Westernmost tip of Boso via the ferry to Kanaya:

Southern tip of Boso via the ferry to Kanaya:

Boso explorer through the center of southern Chiba, arrived from Kanaya, return from the north:

Heights of Chiba (from Kanaya):

Boso backroads (via Honda station):

I'm a great fan of Boso, especially in the winter. Here are some of my adventures there from recent years.

My favourite access is the Tokyo Wan Ferry to Kanaya. Almost any ride starting or ending at Kanaya is great. You just can't go wrong once you're in that part of Chiba!

Westernmost tip of Boso via the ferry to Kanaya:

Southern tip of Boso via the ferry to Kanaya:

Boso explorer through the center of southern Chiba, arrived from Kanaya, return from the north:

Heights of Chiba (from Kanaya):

Boso backroads (via Honda station):
Thanks for those. Given me some ideas what to do in the future. I live in Yokohama so it would be a nice cycle down to the ferry, have a break, then start up again, then on the way back, do the same. Now to find a spare day to do it in.

wow

Back
Top Bottom