What's new

Boso Coast Dash (Oct 10th)

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
Anyone up for a Boso ride?

What: Boso ride to the coast
Where: Boso Peninsula (Chiba Peninsula)
Start and End Point: Honda (誉田) Station on the 外房線 (JR Sotobo Line)
When: Monday, Oct 10th, rollout 9:30 AM sharp, back 5pm latest

We haven't done the coast for a while on a Boso run, so thinking of doing a dash to the coast. Something likes this, but using the flatter return through Otaki:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/9442832

This is just an example--I'll post the final route map when I get a chance on the weekend. Thinking Lake Takataki > Yoro Gorge > Rt 81 to the coast, then 285 > 178 > Otaki > 147 back to Honda. If the group is small and time permits maybe do some rindos as well.

Not super fast by any means, but we'll try to limit the stops and keep a decent pace for the ride. Not recommended for absolute beginners.

In so far:
Thomas
Travis
David T
Phil

Train Info
The JRエアポート成田・成田空港行 (JR Airport Narita) leaves Yokohama at 7:39, Shinagawa at 8:01, and Kinshicho at 8:18 direct to Chiba, where you can switch to the 8:54 Sotobo Line train to Honda, arr. 9:08. Other option is the JR Keiyo to Soga, then switching to the same Honda-bound train.

Thanks for posting and organising this, Phil! It's really been a while. :)

Thanks Phil!

I'll be there!

I'll be riding from eastern Tokyo, along this route starting at around 7am, for those interested in joining me.

Looking forward to it!
T

I'm in for this, Phil.
Surely this will be a great chance for me to see some of you guys in person (at last).

Thanks,
Eugen

I think I have Monday off, so if I'm feeling good from saturdays ride I hope to meet up with you guys at Honda!

Hi,Phil!

I am thinking join this ride.
I never been to boso peninsula...
so,Im really looking forward to do it!

Fumiki

Thanks for the interest guys.

Eugen, Fumiki > Really looking forward to meeting you both.
Eric > Will be good to see you again!

I'll have the final route map up on Saturday some time, but starting times/location will not change.

Map...

Here's the proposed route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/53526776/

Haven't been to Boso in a while, so a chance to re-visit familiar roads. There's a climby loop around the 105 km mark which is new for TCC rides, but we may have to cut it depending on schedule.

Thanks Phil, looks very promising, especially with a few new hills thrown in! Looking forward to Monday. :)

Fumiki, John, in case you join we can meet at Musashi-Kosugi Sta. The Narita Express to Chiba which Phil mentioned earlier in this thread leaves from there at 0751.

I'm thinkin about it too. Haven't been able to ride for about a month now but have a few 100km rides under my belt.

Was gonna do a short ride Sun and Mon but this is so near my place...

Do you know if Honda Station has lockers?

Lawrence, to my knowledge the station does not have lockers, unfortunately, so you will have to carry all gear with you.

Forgot to mention, we usually meet outside the south exit of the station, around the small bus rotary there.

Thanks for the info Thomas. It is looking more and more like I will be able to join this ride. What do you think about meeting up at 5:30 or 6:00 around Futakotamagawa, taking the 246 most of the way to Ueno, getting there by 7:00 to meet Travis on his way there.

Take it to the next level? Make the most of the day? You guys up for it? :cool:

Sounds tempting, John, although the route into the Wild East is not exactly arcadian. Let's see what Fumiki has to say on this.

John,and Thomas

Great plan indeed.
But sorry.
I do use train from Musashi-kosugi.

I knew I lost energy today...
I went Tsuru & Yanagisawa Toge today,including near 3000m elevation,
and I join in James's ride tomorrow.
And then...you know,Im human being also.:eek:

Hi Phil, would like to join this one. Will be there by 9:08 at Honda station.
Cheers,
Malte

Sounds tempting, John, although the route into the Wild East is not exactly arcadian.

I can confirm. I ended my first and only Boso ride so far by riding all the way home. Truck drivers between Chiba and Tokyo are ruthless, believing the roads are theirs and some tried quite aggressively to shove me off the road. Maybe things are slightly better going into the opposite direction early in the morning on a public holiday. Not sure though - so I wouldn't really recommend.

The coast road from Inagekaigan to Minami Funabashi is OK but other than that I think the roads are busy with not much room on the sides for bikes but that's my 2 cents.

I wanna try a group ride so count me in.

Think this is right...

Thomas
Travis
Eugen
Eric
Fumiki
ikedawilliams (John, right?)
Lawrence
Malte
Phil

Let me know if I'm missing anyone. Will confirm weather by this evening, but right now the forecast is looking fine so we should be good to go.

Hey Phil... Looks like a good group. My first name is John. You were right.
I think Delta Force might join too and we'll likely meet up with Thomas and Fumiki at Musashi Kosugi. Looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom