What's new

Boardman bikes

This has been in the pipeline for a while, and Wiggle finally managed to get the deal.

There were a number of other people bidding for this brand, but Wiggle got them on board.

No comment on the brand itself, as I have never seen one in person, but they are well reviewed.

I'm waiting for the real reviews to hit the streets....those of the riders that forked out the money for the rides rather than the sycophantic press.

I'm incredibly surprised that there are no TT bikes in the initial range, especially as Chris is considered THE expert on frame and rider aerodynamics and is often called in by the Pro Tour teams when working on the bikes in the wind tunnel.

Boardman has been around for quite a while now in the UK, right? Read a lot of good things about the brand so nice to see it available online. Team United Healthcare were riding them at the ToC, they look pretty sharp...

FarEast: fair points. I re-checked the site once you pointed it out, as the first high-end bike boardman produced was a TT one (about 2 years ago) and they had sponsored athletes racing on them, and there is one listed as `coming soon` but the old one has obviously been discontinued.
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/airtt.html

Looking at them in more detail, they do seem to have pushed the prices up a fraction now they have a more established brand. Initially, I thought Boardman was just a form of on-board brand ambassador but he does seem to be more intimately involved these days.

He actually had a line of bikes out durring his Hay-Days and they were considered the business but many people in the industry now feel they are going the same was as the Eddy Merckx line where it is in name only and the whole direction and linage of the bikes was in the hands of marketing and coperate bigwigs.

If Chris really is back on board leading the direction of the brand it will be very good for the brand as a whole, but the fact that they are selling hybrids and a whole host of lower and entry level bikes suggests mass production in Taiwan and designed OEM'd by Merek, Giant, Merida and other factories and may end up like the Gary Fisher and other "Pro" name brands.

I think if he had stuck to TT and Tri bikes where is infiniate knowledge and skills is legendary the brand would be a whole lot stronger. Also please take what you read in the cycling press with a pinch of salt..... when actually was the last time you read a review on a bike that was bad? The magazines rely 100% on advertising and freebies from companies and they last thing they want is to piss people of with truthful yet damaging reviews. :D

Looking at the price points and gruppo they are offered - I can't see these as anything other than simply branding generic frames. Not that is bad or anything - but would be nice to see his name on something really special. Totally agree with FE on this - however I'd say that Boardman learned alot of tricks from Obree, the REAL innovator of the TT.

He actually had a line of bikes out durring his Hay-Days and they were considered the business but many people in the industry now feel they are going the same was as the Eddy Merckx line where it is in name only and the whole direction and linage of the bikes was in the hands of marketing and coperate bigwigs.

If Chris really is back on board leading the direction of the brand it will be very good for the brand as a whole, but the fact that they are selling hybrids and a whole host of lower and entry level bikes suggests mass production in Taiwan and designed OEM'd by Merek, Giant, Merida and other factories and may end up like the Gary Fisher and other "Pro" name brands.

I think if he had stuck to TT and Tri bikes where is infiniate knowledge and skills is legendary the brand would be a whole lot stronger. Also please take what you read in the cycling press with a pinch of salt..... when actually was the last time you read a review on a bike that was bad? The magazines rely 100% on advertising and freebies from companies and they last thing they want is to piss people of with truthful yet damaging reviews. :D

Agree with all this.

I´ll see if I can get one to test. 720 down the steps behing Debenhams in Sheffield should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom