What's new

Black Friday 2020 Deals

I have an Elemnt Bolt, and it is very easy to use. The main difference to Garmin is that Wahoo cycling computers allow you to zoom in and out of pages, i. e. where Garmin forces you to create different pages, you can change the number of data fields with the zoom feature.

With the Wahoo you can plan a route, but you do it on the phone and then sync the route to your cycling computer via Bluetooth. Even if I could do it on the Element, I don't think I'd want to if I can whip out the phone and have a substantially larger screen and a much faster CPU.

As far as following a route, the Bolt taken together with a smartphone works alright. I would not use it for free flowing navigation, but it works really well if you want to stick to a specific route. But since I always carry my phone with me, that's not an issue: I check maps on my phone should I get lost and/or want to navigate and then I can stick to the Wahoo.

I found no fault with the GPS function so far. With the speed sensor speed and other measurements remain reliable even in tunnels or forests where the GPS signal may be spotty.

As with any piece of technology, nothing is flawless. E. g. sometimes my Bolt would no longer show phone notifications while riding. And they could put in a CPU. I'd also like the Roam's new color screen and gorilla glass.
That sounds like what I need! Thank you for sharing! Was contemplating between the this and edge series but Bolt's simple interface looks better to me.

How do you find the GPS function so far? I read that it can't plan a route or fix a route if you go off course on the fly but is the navigation function user friendly/dependable?
Like @OreoCookie I'm happy to use the phone if I have to re-route from a planned course.

You can always map a route on RWGPS, then sync it to the Bolt. I used it that way for the 400 km ride from Aichi to Tokyo and it worked well. I like the way it announces turns coming up, with sound and a flashing row of LEDs at the top that tell you to turn right or left or to keep straight at an intersection. Hard to miss turns!

The maps are quite decent when you're zoomed in to the street level, but not so great when zoomed out to get an overview while not navigating because then it doesn't fade out enough detail. I was amazed when I did some Veloviewer tiling on a mountain in Chichibu and even a tiny hiking path forking off the main hiking trail was still on the map of what is essentially a cycling GPS. That's way more detail than what Google Maps would show me and a nice surprise.

I have not used the bundled heart rate belt yet and I am using a different brand of speed and cadence sensor, but both work reliably. Previously I didn't have a speed or cadence sensor or my Elephant NFE which meant distances through tunnels went unrecorded on Strava. Much better to have those sensors!

Initial GPS location is very quick. On my previous device I used to have to wait up to two minutes when I stepped outside before I could start recording, but with the Bolt it takes almost no time. If you start riding without manually starting the recording it alerts you and asks if you want to start recording.

The screen is very readable and you can zoom in or out, which trades off number of fields shown simultaneously vs. font size. The display pages are well thought out and easy to customize.

You can always map a route on RWGPS, then sync it to the Bolt. I used it that way for the 400 km ride from Aichi to Tokyo and it worked well. I like the way it announces turns coming up, with sound and a flashing row of LEDs at the top that tell you to turn right or left or to keep straight at an intersection. Hard to miss turns!
One more thing about route selection: if you want to go from A to B and let the phone or Google or Apple Maps decide on the route, pay attention and use your brain. If I use Wahoo's Take Me to … feature, I usually found the routes very tricky to follow as it'd often send me down fire and farm roads between fields parallel to some small country roads that weren't paved — suboptimal if you are on a regular road bike. And it'd insist on using really small roads with tons of turns.

The other map apps do the opposite: they usually send you down really big road, including toll roads if you are not paying attention. Even if you can ride them, perhaps you don't want to as it might be too heavily trafficked.

Strava's route creator works very well in my experience, especially once I get out of the innards of Sendai city proper. Or you can create routes manually with apps like Ride with GPS (RWGPS mentioned above). "Good" routes are almost invariably those that you have created yourself or some local has suggested to you. Experience with the local roads matters a great deal in order to find goldi locks routes with so little traffic that you can relax and focus on the ride, but that is not so remote that there isn't a temple, konbini or restaurant to refuel. :)

Strava's route creator works very well in my experience, especially once I get out of the innards of Sendai city proper. Or you can create routes manually with apps like Ride with GPS (RWGPS mentioned above). "Good" routes are almost invariably those that you have created yourself or some local has suggested to you. Experience with the local roads matters a great deal in order to find goldi locks routes with so little traffic that you can relax and focus on the ride, but that is not so remote that there isn't a temple, konbini or restaurant to refuel. :)

Just to add that RWGPS have got heat maps, too, now (desktop and mobile app). AFAIK the heatmap is free on the mobile app but might not be on the desktop version.

Thank you for the information! How do you find the GPS function so far? I read that it can't plan a route or fix a route if you go off course on the fly but is the navigation function user friendly/dependable?
You've already got some great replies here, so I'll just add a few comments. The Bolt can be used without your phone easily enough, but its actually designed to work with a companion app on your phone. The app has a "Take me to" option for selecting a route, which is super convenient. You just find the location you want to ride to, upload it to the Bolt, and away you go. It takes merely seconds. The Bolt doesn't fix your route if you go off course, but if that happens you can just cancel the current route, then re-upload a new route using the "Take me to" option. You can also plan routes in RWGPS or Strava and upload them to the Bolt. RWGPS works better with the Bolt though, as the uploaded data has contains direction information that the Bolt can use, whereas the Strava data just gives you a map to follow.

Unfortunately my GPS/cycling stats from my phone was not accurate at all so hopefully with a cycling computer I can keep track of my speed and distance better.
My Cat-Eye device cost me 5000 yen or so and shows speed, distance, maximum speed, average speed, and a couple more things.

Perhaps I could pair it with a shop display dummy Garmin/Wahoo for its (dummy) heart-rate and power functions. With a magic marker, I'd write on its screen "You're not going to die" for the former and "You suck" for the latter.

Cycled around 180-190km last week but I don't think my phone app will be as accurate as a proper bike computer so can't wait to get one!
I have also found a buyer for my folding bike and sold few other stuff so will be looking to get a trainer soon! While I like to cycle outside it will be great to be able to train at home too away from the harsh weather and also as my work is starting to get busy too in December so having a trainer will let me cycle more.

Am looking at either Tacx Neo T2, Kickr or Kickr Core, I have been reading around and find out that both Neo T2 and Kickr have quite the same durability problem (hit or miss), so mostly it will boils down to preference. I know a lot of people here are using Neo T2, anyone with Kickr (or both before) and can share any experience with it?

Among other deals, not directly due to Black Friday, I believe, but the helmet Kask Mojito is about half price now, just over 9000yens on Wiggle and CRC. I bought one here a few years ago for twice that. So I decided to go for an extra one. The actual one is in a good state, as not hit reported, but the leather strap starts to get damaged with the continuous sweat.
Would have like to go for the upper model, the Protone, but it was over the allowed budget.
Many helmets are too big for my small head, specially the local brand Kabuto, but the Kask one does fit well.

Anyone have recommendation for rinko/bike bag for road bike? Am thinking of going further to ride and for that I will need a transport bag that can bring the bicycle into train. Will 1 wheel bag be enough for travelling in Japan?

recommendation for rinko/bike bag for road bike
I have a Mont-Bell 'quick carry' bag that I've used hundreds of times on trains and (domestic) flights. Many friends have the same one and are pleased with it. It's a one-wheel-off bag. The saddle sticks out through a hole in the bag, and the bag drapes over like a poncho. (In a pinch, the bag can become a windproof poncho.) It rolls up small enough to fit in a bidon cage. ¥5,555.

I'll let @microcord tell you about his GIANT bag that does the same thing, for cheaper, but comes with crappy straps.

Technically the saddle must be covered for use on trains. In practice this is only very rarely an issue, except with JR Shikoku who can be real dicks about their rule.

20190211-151053-montbell-poncho.jpg

Here are Half-Fast Mike's Bike Bag (rinkō-bukuro, 輪行袋) Top Tips

Last edited:
I have a Mont-Bell 'quick carry' bag that I've used hundreds of times on trains and (domestic) flights. Many friends have the same one and are pleased with it. It's a one-wheel-off bag. The saddle sticks out through a hole in the bag, and the bag drapes over like a poncho. (In a pinch, the bag can become a windproof poncho.) It rolls up small enough to fit in a bidon cage. ¥5,555.
Thank you for the recommendation! This looks really great! I was checking the link and realized there is M and L size and both fits 700c but only L size fits 29", will M size be enough for normal size 54 road bike?

I'll let @microcord tell you about his GIANT bag that does the same thing, for cheaper, but comes with crappy straps.
LOL @ crappy strap, I have heard good things about the GIANT bag too, looks like it is pretty popular too!

Technically the saddle must be covered for use on trains. In practice this is only very rarely an issue, except with JR Shikoku who can be real dicks about their rule.
Time for konbini's plastic bag to do their job here....

will M size be enough for normal size 54 road bike?

Time for konbini's plastic bag to do their job here....
My Niner - which is substantially longer than my 52 road bike, fits fine in M.

Who has plastic bags these days? The last time I was challenged about the saddle sticking out, I stripped off my jersey on the station platform (with seconds to spare before the train departed), draped it over the saddle, and said "Are you HAPPY now? Byeeee"

May have been mentioned: some shinkansen now need a reservation for large luggage (and a fee).

May have been mentioned: some shinkansen now need a reservation for large luggage (and a fee).
That doesn't apply to bicycles though. If you want to use the large luggage space available at the back of some cars, you need to reserve the right seat, but you don't need to make a reservation for your bike.

Anyone have recommendation for rinko/bike bag for road bike? Am thinking of going further to ride and for that I will need a transport bag that can bring the bicycle into train. Will 1 wheel bag be enough for travelling in Japan?
i Bought an Ostrich (probably this one https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/bags/ostrich-sl-100-rinko-bag/ )
It is light and fits well the bottle cage, but taking out both wheels is a pain

Also, because of the wheels are off, it becomes hard to not damage your rear derailleur/hanger when you put your bike on the floor. For that reason, i bought another piece (https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/bags/ostrich-rinko-dropout-stand/) that adds in lot more grams to the set up.

Back
Top Bottom