What's new

Biohazard: helmets in summer

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
A quick question about helmet hygiene to all those riding on a daily basis in summer: how do you keep your helmets clean and odourous? How do you cope with perspiration?

I currently commute about 60km to work five or six times a week and frankly, come weekend, I am not very much inclined to wear or even touch my helmet.:warau:

I usually wear a cap underneath; I have put it into the washing machine a couple of times, used sprays, replaced the inner padding, but it's the styrofoam body that seems to be the main culprit.

How do you deal with your helmets? ;)

After most rides I take it in the shower and rinse it well, a little more or less depending on how sweaty the ride was, or whether I did that the day before. Then blot the extra water out with my used towel, and onto the porch to dry.

Mine's an LAS, which I think have a bit more sweat-absorbent lining. I've wondered about trying it with a headband/sweatband (or cap, as you have), but that might only delay the inevitable for a while.

Some kind of gusset system, to keep sweat from running/dripping onto my lenses, would be great. Not sure if that would be a helmet or a glasses feature.

(I've never noticed that my helmet smells, perhaps I should be paying more attention...!)

I sweat like nobody's busniess, and I've never noticed odor from my helmet. Perhaps the smell from my gloves overpowers it, or I don't stay still for too long. You might try Febreze or the equivalent, or some baking soda.

Thomas, I just take mine into the shower with me -- say, once a week -- and give it a quick spray-down. After I towel off, I use the towel to soak up as much water as I can from the pads, then hang the helmet out to dry overnight.

The helmet-in-the-shower trick seems pretty obvious, but it never occurred to me to try it until I read about it in a cycling magazine. Maybe subconsciously I was afraid that all the water would somehow be bad for the helmet and so avoided washing it. So far, I've been keeping the stank at bay.

Deej

Cheers everyone! From now on I shall take off the helmet *after* the shower. :)

Wash your helmet as often as you wash your shorts.

If some people want to do it less, like only once a week, I guess that's okay... :rolleyes: ;)

(maybe you're once-a-week riders?)

Ok most helmets have removable padding inserts and I normally buy 2 or 3 extra summer sets.

Normally in the summer I just walk straight in to the shower in all my cycling kit and just rinse off everything helmet, Oakleys, mits, jersey, shorts and socks.

I use standard body soap on the helmet straps and also the inside of the shell, then putting everything in the wash (The padding inserts I pop in one of those wash bags to keep them all together)

Let the helmet dry naturaly and hang the inserts out with the rest of the stuff.

Wash your helmet as often as you wash your shorts.

If some people want to do it less, like only once a week, I guess that's okay... :rolleyes: ;)

Hey, I'm a guy. I never said anything about keeping it clean, just keeping the stank at bay. Wash my helmet after every ride? Just not in my genes.

But if you want to go Felix Unger on your lid, I guess that's okay... :p

clean-waste.jpg

Deej

Sorry Deej--but hey, don't you wash your shorts after every ride?

I do. (And I would hope that you do, too.)

Is the helmet some sort of separate Felix thing, and the shorts are not? ;)

I've never cleaned my helmet - rain does it for me :)
I just air dry it after every ride.. and guess what - it does not smell even after 2 years.

But I don't use it every day and have 2 of them (city rides and training rides). And I always wear a cap or a head band under it.

I'm not sure if this is a simple "head is to helmet as crotchal region is to shorts" type of equation.

In other words, not all sweat is created equal. ;)

otoh, maybe I'm some kind of anal-explusive or something or other, so feel free to ignore me...!

and, gee, Thomas, to try to keep in on topic, does all this answer your initial question?

I wash the straps and pads under a warm tap with some soap, and then dry with a towel. Twice a day when particularly minging - otherwise the salt concentration actually hurts my skin when it gets damp again. (I'm so sensitive :eek: )

Meanwhile, jdd, it sounds like you should try a Sweat Gutr*. They really work well. I'll be ordering some more soon.

*Previously posted here.

and, gee, Thomas, to try to keep in on topic, does all this answer your initial question?

Absolutely John! And although I've never put that topic on the table, no more questions on the shorts issue either. :D

I've never cleaned my helmet - rain does it for me :)
I just air dry it after every ride.. and guess what - it does not smell even after 2 years.

But I don't use it every day and have 2 of them (city rides and training rides). And I always wear a cap or a head band under it.

No mate..... you just got used to the smell!

Sorry Deej--but hey, don't you wash your shorts after every ride?

I do. (And I would hope that you do, too.)

From an Ice Hockey/Kendo perspective, yes. totally separate issues.

But then... I di try to stay as far away as possible from those gear bags...

My biggest concern is bacteria congregating in the straps and sweat pads, so I rinse these with anti-bacterial lotion every now and then. I`ve never noticed the helmet to smell, but as mentioned, I am one of those who is pretty much immune to his own smell. Don`t stand so close to me...

Also, I have two helmets so swap which one I am riding from time to time.

I sometimes soak my whole helmet in a bucket of warm water overnight peppered with shampoo...
Especially when the straps are a bit oily/grimy.

Back
Top Bottom