What's new

Biking without pedaling

You may not know this, but back in the 19th century before current bicycles with pedals and chains there were push bicycles that people sat on, pushing themselves along with their feet. I saw some examples in the Deutsches Museum in Munich. Even that was a better idea than this contraption.

This thing seems quite unstable, probably because of the high centre of gravity caused by the arch the rider is suspended from.

Also, with nowhere to rest your legs when you're not running, my guess is that you'd get tired on it very soon.

If this thing falls over, it will take you all the way down since your neck is trapped in it. Should make for some rather interesting neck injuries!

In summary, it seems a dumb idea like the Raleigh Chopper (all about looks, who cares about functionality ;))

Ouch

Considering that the rider's weight appears to be suspended by his scrotum, he doesn't do such a bad job of steering his machine.

Uh, why? If it's in order to be looked at -- and even in the demo video, most people are ignoring him -- I'd prefer this rather imposing mixte.

You may not know this, but back in the 19th century before current bicycles with pedals and chains there were push bicycles that people sat on, pushing themselves along with their feet.

A draisine it is -
draisine.gif

Even that was a better idea than this contraption.

Agree with this. I don't understand why the article presents it as a completely original concept.

In summary, it seems a dumb idea like the Raleigh Chopper (all about looks, who cares about functionality ;))

Sorry Joe but the Chopperdid have a function - to look totally wicked, skill, lush, wizzo and wicked-cool.

This was the pinnacle of cool for kids when I was growing up and as the Wikipedia says it's a cultral icon - Raleigh got it right – sadly these designers didn't.

As Joe points out the design with this is seriously flawed – for instance any pot hole is going to cause serious issues for the rider as its impossible to move the centre of gravity to the rear wheel or brace yourself for the impact – secondly curbs are going to be impossible to navigate on the go, you'll have to stop put your feet down, lift the front of the bike up, walk it up the curb and then carry on.

Don't even want to think about a head on collision – I can't help but picture medieval battering ram!

• Not cool
  • Not functional
  • No reason

I really wish designers would realize that the push bike is pretty much at the top of its evolutionary progression – you just can't beat the design and functionality of the 3 triangle design – they've researched it and tried to no avail!

I think you guys are taking this too seriously. This is not a serious attempt to replace your every-day bike...It's just an experiment. You can't have evolution without producing a few mutants.

I think you guys are taking this too seriously. This is not a serious attempt to replace your every-day bike...It's just an experiment. You can't have evolution without producing a few mutants.

Certainly true, this screams "Art/Design School Project" to me :D

I often find myself seeing how far I can go with a single pedal push, then swooping the bike from side to side like a skateboard / windsurfer.

Despite being 33 years old.

Back
Top Bottom