What's new

Bikeside assistance

Alei

Cruising
Apr 6, 2012
Came across a cool website that offers bikeside assistance in Japan.
Something wrong with your bike? Can't fix it on the spot.
Call these people and they'll have someone ride out to you and fix your bike.
It's purely a bike service company.

http://www.cy-q.co.jp/mente/order.html

Yep - We were just talking about this at Wednesdays meeting. The idea was planted about 1 year back when I told them that my families bike stores in the UK offers this service, they actually have a mobile mechanics van that will bring you home.

So its great to see this finally coming to fruition - I also know that CS will receive its second team car this week and it maybe used as the mobile mechanics van, so don't be suprised if you see it whizzing around Toges near you picking up stranded riders.

I couldn't see where it says how much, it would be really cool for them to have it run like JAF (automobile association) where if you pay a yearly subscription call outs are cheaper, and thus more attractive. The subscription would encourage more buy in from folks.

Came across a cool website that offers bikeside assistance in Japan.

It's a good idea. I hope the enterprise flourishes. Of course, it has to start small. I'm not denigrating it for starting small, just pointing out . . . currently, you get service from nine to five (perhaps later, but this is unclear), Monday to Friday. And maybe Saturday. And it's not merely restricted to Tokyo, it's restricted to certain specified areas within just four central Tokyo ku. So for now: "bikeside assistance during normal business hours in small areas of central Tokyo".

I never normally go to Ginza. If I did go there and had a flat and realized that I didn't have the necessary spares/tools, I wouldn't have a clue where the nearest bike shop was. So I could call this service. Uh-oh, no, even Ginza isn't covered. Maybe better to make sure that I do carry either (a) the necessary spares and tools, or (b) my ipad knockoff for locating nearby bike shops, or of course both.

For now this service seems to be for people who happen to live or work in the areas served and who are too busy/lazy/timid to wheel their bikes to the nearest store. (Again, I do hope that it expands from this.)

Basically I think they have started rather cleverly, they are targeting all the bike commuters that work at the companies that use the Messenger service. (It's the actual messengers that do the repair services - whom are some of the best and fastest wrenches I've seen and the work shop at CY-Q would have even our own resident wheel wrench jealous.)

Not sure why certain locations are not covered though and remember this is more for the mamachari warrior than the weekend wannabees ;)

LOL at spelling 'service' correctly in the file name of the header image, then spelling is wrong in the actual graphic.

I just can't help but imagine this ... Hmmm, now where did I put my Superman Costume ...

Back
Top Bottom