Bikes On The Shinkansen?

Doomith

Warming-Up
Nov 27, 2010
Australia
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to cycle down the east coast of Japan on my single speed with a small trailer for my gear.

I've plotted up to Atami but the mountain range seems quite large to pass over (esp with no gears!)

I was _hoping_ I would be able to catch the shinkansen to Shinfuji with bike and trailer.

I've been on the shinkansen before and I know space is very limited, however it would only be for 1 stop (around 12 minutes according to the time table).

Would I be allowed / be able to get away with it ?

Thoughts please!

laz

Warming-Up
Sep 2, 2009
Tokyo, Mitaka
You may try your luck by looking for the space in the last seats. Usually there are spaces in every car behind the last seat that be able to put a 3 to 4 30L suitcases that will fit your bike.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Yes you can take a bike (and trailer) on the Shinkansen. But you will have to cover it up - ideally by putting it in a bike bag but if this would be the only time for you to use it then a makeshift one can be made from garbage bags and tape available at a convenience store.

For one stop (to avoid the Hakone climb) it's hardly worth sitting down - I'd just stay in the area by the doors with your vehicle.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Transpo Econo Rinko --
Method A: Standard Bike:

SBSH0162.JPG

2 Bags for the bike and another couple for the wheels.

Method B: S&S Coupler

101128_164451_00.jpg

Bike splits in 2 pieces (with wheels). Just cover the wheels is enough. In fact, I don't bother with that anymore - I just cover the chainring with a small backpack cover. No complaints so far (JR East, Odakyu, Hayate Shinkansen)

I'd suspect you'd need a folding trailer - or something akin to the trailer Gunjira pointed out - to get it neatly on the train. Like this .. http://www.freeparable.com/t1#slider-nid529

Can't help noticing - that saddle is hella nose high! And, oh, you'll prolly get busted for not having 2 brakes. Sadly, the cops here have gotten really snicky about ANY BIKE that seems to be marginally 'fixie' - even if its not. Roadfixie riders are at the same status and attention as bosozoku members these days.

Doomith

Warming-Up
Nov 27, 2010
Australia
Hey! Thanks for the info!
What is a "bosozoku" ?

I'm building a new bike which I will be using for this trip which I will _probably_ install two brakes on!

Does your frame pull apart? Looks like it's in two halves in the 2nd photo!

When I travelled around Japan on holiday suitcases were fine and I'm sure that a little trailer wouldn't really be much trouble?

sunil

Warming-Up
Dec 5, 2010
Tokyo
Bike porter bag at bid camera

Just brought my bike back on the Shinkansen from Nagoya last night. Used a bike bag that I purchased for about 2500 yen at Bic camera in Yurakucho. Just took the front wheel off and covered the bike with the bag. Has a shoulder strap as well.
No issues from the shikansen staff and they helped me find a spot on the train as well. Behind the last seats in the car.
mo issues at all.

.......Sunil

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Actually I've found them to be pretty cool to cyclists - Comin down Otarumi one time was dicing it with some 'super rat' 50's zoku guys - one of them had a Polini <pistons> sticker on his ride - I commented and we all ended up at some bar / snack in Takao. Couldn' resist. I guess fixies and 'zoku just mix that way..

Basically, it means "Motorcycle hoodlum". Check out the Wikipedia version here.
They are the bane of many a cyclist. There are a few roads that the police have banned (tried to ban?) them from. But they can be a nuisance on other roads.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Tim.... I've also had no issues with bikers in Japan. In fact I have found them a lot more respectful to me as a fellow two wheeler than most motorists.