What's new

Help Bikes on Domestic flights in Japan

TheAussieinJapan

Maximum Pace
Apr 15, 2014
Hi all,

My searches only seemed to bring up quite old posts, mostly about international flights so starting new thread.

A friend asked me about how to take their bike (safely) to Kyushu by airplane from Tokyo.

What are TCCers suggestions?

I said for them to check airline, but get a bike box from a bike shop, pack it extremely well should be ok. Ensure they have a box for return too.

I've taken bikes on Solaseed Air from Haneda to Kagoshima a couple of times. The bike needs to be packed in a way that it is completely covered. The airline was fantastic in its handling, taking great care of my bikes and not charging me excess luggage fees (I was under the 20kg weight limit with each flight, including the bikes).

Flown with ANA several times, with just a regular rinkō bag. Similar positive experience to @Kangaeroo. The bike was whisked away and put in the hold with the wheelchairs, strollers, etc., and handed back to me beside the arrivals carousel by a white-gloved attendant. (I think my helmet was a giveaway!) The only annoying part of the whole thing is trying to ride to/from Haneda airport, as cycling is officially not permitted on any of the roads that go to the passenger terminals. ("I'm here now... whatcha gonna do?")

The only annoying part of the whole thing is trying to ride to/from Haneda airport, as cycling is officially not permitted on any of the roads that go to the passenger terminals. ("I'm here now... whatcha gonna do?")
Right, because the domestic terminals at Haneda are in the center of the airport, all access roads go through tunnels under the runways and/or Tokyo bay. These tunnels are off-limits to bikes and pedestrians. The only legal access not involving a car is by taking the bike in a rinko bag on a train to the terminal from at least one station away.

A friend of mine recently was considering cycling to Haneda to get a PCR test there to shorten his 14-day quarantine to 10 days (for fully vaccinated people with a negative test on the 10th day), but as you can't use public transport until after quarantine has ended he had to use a different location for the test.

A friend of mine recently was considering cycling to Haneda to get a PCR test there to shorten his 14-day quarantine to 10 days (for fully vaccinated people with a negative test on the 10th day), but as you can't use public transport until after quarantine has ended he had to use a different location for the test.
Aren't there other options for him to get a PCR test? Or does it have to be an "approved" PCR test?
PCR testing in Japan is a huge mess. My wife was admitted to hospital last Sunday to deliver our second child, and her PCR test was a week-and-a-half before admission. My wife rightfully called it a tatemae PCR kensa. :rolleyes:

Aren't there other options for him to get a PCR test? Or does it have to be an "approved" PCR test?
PCR testing in Japan is a huge mess. My wife was admitted to hospital last Sunday to deliver our second child, and her PCR test was a week-and-a-half before admission. My wife rightfully called it a tatemae PCR kensa. :rolleyes:
Hope the birth goes well and good luck, @OreoCookie! tatemae kensa for sure. There's a reason they require a test no more than 72h before flights and not 10 days.

Yes, there's a specified list of approved PCR test providers for the test to shorten quarantine, but there many others on the list besides the place in Haneda.

I read somewhere that using a bicycle is an option on the official list of ways home to quarantine for vaccinated arrivals.
Yes, that is correct. If you happen to have a bicycle at Narita (e.g. in your checked luggage), you can cycle home. No different from getting a rental car or getting picked up by your family by car. Walking is also OK.

Back
Top Bottom