What's new

Help bikes on bus to Fuji

jamesguiab

Biker from Philippines
May 6, 2017
Hi,

I'm visiting Fuji with my friends (3 of us) with bikes.

Please help suggest how to get from Narita to Kawaguchico on bus for 3 bikers and 3 bikes?

Narita to kawaguchico
Aug 30, 2017
Depart Narita anytime after 13:00

Fujisan (kawaguchico) to Narita
Sep 3, 2017
Arrive in Narita at 9:00am or earlier (it's okay if we arrive earlier, even 1:00am)​

* looking for routes with the least transfers, preferably straight trips (0 transfers) both ways.
I've searched the web and I found this https://japanbusonline.com/CourseSearch/11300720001. But I don't know if they will allow bikes on their bus. I was told to get in touch with the bus company but their sites were in Japanese.

When we get to Kawaguchico, we are planning the following rides... I hope you can comment on the routes I chose. Please let me know if the roads I planned are good for biking. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
If any of you will be in kawaguchico at that time. I would love to meet up and bike around Fuji!

Thanks!!!

This is what the bus company has on their site:
また、車内が混雑していない場合に限り、重さ30kg以内、長さ2m以内のお手回り品について、普通運賃の半額をお支払いただき、車内にお持込みいただけます。
If there are seats free on the bus, the company allows luggage that is under 30 kg and under 2 metres length to be put on empty seats for half normal fare.
They do not allow luggage that is dirty, that may block an entrance, or that will inconvenience other passengers in some way.

I think you need to check with the company in what state your bike has to be in to satisfy them, also check if you can buy each bike it's own seat, and do that.

Why not just take a train? On certain days of the week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and national holidays if I recall correctly) the Narita Express train runs all the way to Kawaguchiko direct from Narita.
Even if you have to change trains somewhere it would likely be a lot easier than having to deal with a bus.

Also... Your routes look ok but I would do your first route up Fuji in reverse. The Subaru line is busy and crowded with tour buses whose exhaust you will have to breath in for over an hour as you make your way up. The other road is beautiful and quiet the air is fresh. Since you will spend most of your time climbing you might as well climb on the more peaceful road. If you do it that way you can race traffic to the bottom on the Subaru Line.

Also... Your routes look ok but I would do your first route up Fuji in reverse. The Subaru line is busy and crowded with tour buses whose exhaust you will have to breath in for over an hour as you make your way up. The other road is beautiful and quiet the air is fresh. Since you will spend most of your time climbing you might as well climb on the more peaceful road. If you do it that way you can race traffic to the bottom on the Subaru Line.

Hi, do you know if bikes are allowed to pass the other road? Thanks!

Hi, do you know if bikes are allowed to pass the other road? Thanks!

There's a gate about three quarters of the way up, but you can easily walk around it. I just assume it is there to keep cars out. ;)

The road eventually turns into dirt and then connects to a hiking trail that connects to the fifth station. The last few hundred meters you should probably walk to make way for hikers.

The road
image.jpeg
The gate
image.jpeg
Beyond the gate
image.jpeg

Hi hat and beard,

Thanks for the advice and the pictures. They were very helpful.

Have you managed biking/walking though that route? May I ask how long the walk takes in minutes or meters?

From google maps it looks like a 1.5km walk, maybe 30 mins to an hour? Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Yes, I've done it. At least several others here have as well.
I can't remember exactly how long the dirt part is, but 1.5 km seems about right. Most of that section is perfectly rideable on a road bike though. The only part I walked is maybe the last 100 meters or so where the hiking trail meets up with the road.

Back
Top Bottom