What's new

Bikes On A Plane!

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Right...

How are you all taking your bikes abroad?

How can I get on a plane with a bike with me, safe in the knowledge that the bike is not getting hammered?

ETC.

search isyour friend mate... covered loads and loads here !

One time I did it I just used the cardboard box the bike came in, and had the LBS pack it up for me. Put a "do not stack flat" sticker on here and there and it was fine. Sample of one, but for what it's worth...

Airline fees vary, but it cost me equivalent of 9000 yen on Air Canada from Toronto to Narita.

I got a large plastic bike case with wheels which was designed to carry bikes. But I made sure to get a case which had nothing cycling-related on the outside, that way when I check in I can tell the attendant that the case contains "camera equipment" and save the $150 bicycle fee. The case is beig enough for the complete bicycle, clothing, and helmet.

Easy. Buy one of my Titanium bikes, decouple it and pack into anything handy. Let them hammer away! And no extra baggage charge besides.

Right...

How are you all taking your bikes abroad?

How can I get on a plane with a bike with me, safe in the knowledge that the bike is not getting hammered?

ETC.

I take my bike virtually naked. Ride up to the airport, turn the handlebars and pedals, throw some bubble wrap around the drivetrain, and watch the jaws drop. I've done 5 flights this way so far and plan to return home in August the same way.

JAL doesn't charge for bikes which is sweet.

Back
Top Bottom