Bikes Direct/SRAM

fredstaple

Speeding Up
Nov 1, 2009
Puerto de la Santa Maria
Can someone point out the catch here. Bikes Direct has two bikes with a SRAM Red groupo. One is $2,000.00 for a Reynolds steel frame with Ksyrium Elite wheels and the other is $2300.00.

Lots of places sell the groupo for the same price as they are selling an entire bike. I'd be tempted to buy one, strip it for my primary bike and use the wheels as a back up, foul weather set. Or build up the steel frame with old parts for a fun bike.

Maybe the groupos they are using are older sets, still seems like a pretty decent deal if you are looking for this groupo.

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
lots of people buy complete bikes from bikes direct for component value. their ti bikes are a great value as well. don't know anyone who had bikes shipped to Japan.

Oct 15, 2010
Any good sources of groupsets? I am trying to get decent prices for Shimano 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace to see what the Ti frames would be worth after accounting for the cost of the other parts, but surprisingly finding it hard to see exactly what a good price for groupsets are...

bird

Speeding Up
Nov 30, 2010
Kawasaki
Any good sources of groupsets? I am trying to get decent prices for Shimano 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace to see what the Ti frames would be worth after accounting for the cost of the other parts, but surprisingly finding it hard to see exactly what a good price for groupsets are...
As far as I know, CYCLE PARTS WEST offers the lowest price for Shimano components.
However, they accept limited methods for payment. If you have a japanese bank account, there should be no problem.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
If you are doing this wholesale - and your frames are coming from TW - then why not just ask the frame maker to provide for you as part of the build kit? Or use a local (TW) assembler who will pick-n-pack everything for you and source as an OE?

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

The guys I had in mind only seemed to produce frames and not complete bikes. A little hard to get decent info from them and never directly asked the cheaper ones if they could put parts on as well.